View Poll Results: How will you use your [Pre]?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Half MP3 Player/Video Player. Half Everything else.

56 46.67%
  • I had a dedicated device for my multimedia needs. Just for the everything else.

7 5.83%
  • A minimal amount of multimedia. Mostly for everything else.

50 41.67%
  • I have no idea at this moment.

7 5.83%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    "Everyone you know" has iPod nanos, then? Because the iPhone can't "fully" replace any standard iPod sold since 2004 (20GB and up).
    If by standard you mean hard drive based then perhaps not. OTOH some of use haven't bought any hard drive based iPods since 2004.
    I definitely use my 700p to be my lone media player. I even streamed the CNN election coverage via Sprint TV! I dont watch TV nearly as much as I listen to streaming podcasts (via Kinoma) or play stored mp3's via pTunes. In addition to that, I use my convergence device to view web pages (including paying bills online when I have to), sync my families schedules, help me navigate (even without a true GPS solution), and keep in touch with the world via email, SMS, MMS, and voice. And what Treo would be a Treo if it didnt entertain me via games in times of long lines and such? I carry a charger almost everywhere I go and I have a 2nd battery if I foresee a day of intense use WHILE I am away from an outlet (those days are too few). I feel a convergence device will have compromises. But it gives the liberty of doing many things with ONE device. The Pre looks like it will be a better convergence device than the iPhone, even if the iPhone is a better media player.
    if its not easy to put media from my mac to the pre and it works then im just not going to worry about it. my ipod touch works just fine
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You clearly haven't been paying attention to iPhone sales.
    Actually I don't care about iPhone sales (even though I love my Macs) because they don't affect me. I don't have stock in Apple so I am not losing money. Plus I have Sprint so I doubt they will be adding the iPhone to their line up.

The iPhone may be successful but I doubt that there is a way to see if those iPhone users also have an additional mp3/flash player.
    It's interesting the direction the poll is going.

If I'm reading it correctly, most Treo owners don't carry another Multi-M device.

Am I reading it correct?
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I'm sure it depends on the person, I have a Archos 605 with a 160GB hard drive. When I get the Pre, I will probably use it for casual watching and to quickly pull up music, and use the Archos more for large amounts of video/a larger MP3 collection, or if I want to use both simultaneously (browse the web/read email and watch a video). I will certainly use my Pre for video/audio much more than I use my Centro now, and I'm sure some people will use the Pre in place of an existing device.
    Quote Originally Posted by laravia18 View Post
    The iPhone may be successful but I doubt that there is a way to see if those iPhone users also have an additional mp3/flash player.
    It seems unlikely that someone with an iPhone would carry an additional iPod except perhaps a shuffle for jogging etc. The iPhone is a better media player than any other iPod (except perhaps for the 32GB Touch) and any other MP3 player (IMHO). Its just not so hot as a phone/messaging device.
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    Thats interesting. My wife has an iphone. Its an AMAZING device. But I would never use it to replace a dedicated device. BUT. I can definately see how some people would. It replaced her old Sandisk 4GB player. I guess I just can't imagine someone who is used to their ipod (not nano or whatever) junking it to use their iphone as their only device. Maybe to complement it...but not to replace it. I know some other folks with iphones.......Maybe I will ask them....
    Interesting thoughts, though.....
    My wife who was an ipod junkie, has an ipod still because of the drm scheme. but she now prefers to use here smartphone because more and more she also listens to podcasts while working out and commuting. She was downloading the podcasts on her pc and transferring them to her ipod until she realized most were not drm and she could just do that directly from here Treo. After that she transferred all her non drm music to here treo and uses that almost all the time. She now wants to know about getting pandora on her smartphone -- something you can't do with a dedicated mp3 player or ipod either! With an ipone you get the best of both worlds that way and that tis a significant use of the iphone, people do use it to replace their ipod.

A similar thing happens when people talk about using the smartphone for GPS. some peope in threads say: well you are better off with a dedicated device. 1) carrying multiple devices is not what lots of people want 2) the connected smartphone does things better than dedicated device. The smartphone for mp3 music and video is connected and can download them direct. the smartphone for GPS acquires quicker due to aGPS, and has a billion points of interest in the US, and google maps of Prague, while my dedicated one does not.
    I also agree with Berdinkerdickle.

My Treo 755p is a phone 1st, a pda 2nd and a media player 3rd. I'm not one of those people that has to have music being pumped into their brains 24x7. But when I do want to listen to music while exercising or watch a few episodes of Family Guy or Seinfeld to pass the time on a flight I use my Treo. I am an audiophile and listen to losslessly compressed music exclusively through my Shure earphones. I have never owned another digital music player and do not see the need.

Owning a Pre will have me shuffling media on and off its 8GB of storage but that seems no more bothersome to me than swapping in and out one of my 4GB SD cards.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    It seems unlikely that someone with an iPhone would carry an additional iPod except perhaps a shuffle for jogging etc. The iPhone is a better media player than any other iPod (except perhaps for the 32GB Touch) and any other MP3 player (IMHO). Its just not so hot as a phone/messaging device.
    I am just taking your word for it because I have never used an iPhone for more than testing it briefly in a store.

How about users who have more than 16GB of storage they would want to carry. I know a lot of people who need/want (depending on how you look at it) more memory that that, or possess an iPod that can carry more memory. I don't see the need if I was to have an iPhone but many people do have such needs. Not to mention people who love having the latest technology.
    Last edited by laravia18; 02/08/2009 at 12:58 AM.
    How about users who have more than 16GB of storage they would want t carry. .
    sd cards come to 32 gig nowadays. They are falling in price and increasing in capacity all the time.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    sd cards come to 32 gig nowadays. They are falling in price and increasing in capacity all the time.
    You can't swap sd cards into your iPod or iPhone.
    How about users who have more than 16GB of storage they would want to carry. I know a lot of people who need/want (depending on how you look at it) more memory that that, or possess an iPod that can carry more memory.
    I want more than 16 GB but carry a 16 GB iPhone as my only iPod anyway. I'm happy enough at this point with the convenience/capacity trade-off but I certainly look forward to higher capacity devices in the future. Also, I agree with ADGrant, the iPod app on the iPhone is incredibly well done - I much prefer the interface to that on any other digital music player I've used (including iPods, Palm Treos, PPC/WM and S60 devices). Add in that the sound quality of the iPhone is really very good - better than the Nano it replaced and way better than any other phone I've tried - and the iPhone stacks up as a pretty compelling media device.

I guess what I'm saying is that even leaving aside the capacity issue, the Pre will have to be pretty exceptional at media playback to live up to the iPhone in that area. I found the music player UI we saw in the CES videos a bit worrying TBH.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is that even leaving aside the capacity issue, the Pre will have to be pretty exceptional at media playback to live up to the iPhone in that area. I found the music player UI we saw in the CES videos a bit worrying TBH.
    Really? It was iPhone/iPod cover flow going between songs. If you like the iPod/iPhone music interface (and yeah...it's sweet. I have a 16GB iPod Touch.), then why would that be "a bit worrying."

Not to mention, they showed off one huge improvement over the Apple UI: When you exit the music app with music still playing, it keeps a minimized bar at the bottom of your screen so that you don't have to leave the next app you move on to just to stop the music or go backward or forward on your playlist. That's a serious, serious advantage for me. One of the things I hate about the Apple UI is how it takes so many taps and app switches to do the simplest tasks.
    Really? It was iPhone/iPod cover flow going between songs. If you like the iPod/iPhone music interface (and yeah...it's sweet. I have a 16GB iPod Touch.), then why would that be "a bit worrying."
    I'll try to find the vid and check my impressions and post back.

Not to mention, they showed off one huge improvement over the Apple UI: When you exit the music app with music still playing, it keeps a minimized bar at the bottom of your screen so that you don't have to leave the next app you move on to just to stop the music or go backward or forward on your playlist. That's a serious, serious advantage for me. One of the things I hate about the Apple UI is how it takes so many taps and app switches to do the simplest tasks.
    I'm imagining this then?

Double tapping the home button then brings up the HUD - you need to set the option first: Settings>General>Home Button
    I'm imagining this then?

Double tapping the home button then brings up the HUD - you need to set the option first: Settings>General>Home Button
    Wow...neat trick I didn't know about it. But it actually strengthens my point. WebOS automatically gives you a a small, unobtrusive bar at the bottom. Not only do you have to double-tap in Apple UI to make it come up (and what's the advantage in that...it takes two taps to go to the home screen and activate the iPod app anyway!), but it takes over the screen, stopping whatever you are doing.

When you see the way Palm has implemented this versus Apple, you really see how well thought out and usable WebOS is.
    I'll try to find the vid and check my impressions and post back.
    Here's a video that showing the music UI:

Cover flow does seem very sluggish there, but to be fair, and thinking about this a bit more, I guess most of my worries are really to do with what we haven't seen: artist, album, song, playlist views, switching between them etc. Hopefully all be revealed soon and all (including responsiveness) will be ok come release.
    I think both ways have their merits.

Wow...neat trick I didn't know about it. But it actually strengthens my point. WebOS automatically gives you a a small, unobtrusive bar at the bottom.
    The advantage of Apple's way is that it is completely unobtrusive - it uses no screen when you're in another app. That's good as it maximizes screen real estate and doesn't provide any distraction.

Not only do you have to double-tap in Apple UI to make it come up (and what's the advantage in that...it takes two taps to go to the home screen and activate the iPod app anyway!),
    That's true but double tapping is more convenient IMO, especially if you don't have the iPod icon in the dock. Also, it's more convenient for returning to the other app (Safari in the pic above) - just one tap ('Close')

but it takes over the screen, stopping whatever you are doing.
    The HUD only appears when you double tap home, at which point it is what you are doing. It goes away when you tap Close!
    I'm pretty sure the Cover Flow sluggishness is a consequence of this being beta software, but even on my iPod Touch, I don't like Cover Flow anyway. I can move much faster and with a lot more precision flicking and scrolling through vertical lists of playlists, artists, and albums.

And the Pre's vertical scrolling - even in this beta state - is as speedy and responsive as Apple's currently is.
    I'm pretty sure the Cover Flow sluggishness is a consequence of this being beta software, but even on my iPod Touch, I don't like Cover Flow anyway. I can move much faster and with a lot more precision flicking and scrolling through vertical lists of playlists, artists, and albums.
    I agree. OTOH, the tapping the cover in the 'Now playing' so that it flips to reveal the track listings is very handy (more 'cover flip' than 'cover flow' )

And the Pre's vertical scrolling - even in this beta state - is as speedy and responsive as Apple's currently is.
    Is there a video of that somewhere in the music app?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast