View Poll Results: What will be more of a determining factor? Battery life or lack of MicroSD

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Battery Life

31 68.89%
  • Lack of MicroSD

6 13.33%
  • Neither... I think eventually no one will care!

8 17.78%
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    So with all the polls up about expansion, stylus, etc... I believe that the battery life (since it is only 1150mAH) will be more of a factor of debate...

I have a 800w, with the same battery size, and it is very usable for me ( I get about 2 Days)...

...Only because I don't use WiFi, I keep the GPS off, don't really use Bluetooth that much and quite honestly I don't live on my phone with phone calls (maybe about 1 hour a day or less)

Now I am hoping that that I will wanna use the Pre much more than that...

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by mrkalel; 02/02/2009 at 03:06 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    I would say for me it would be battery, i really don't care about storage, I'm @ work 8-9 hours a day, sitting @ a PC so I would not be looking @ movies, but i may be able to fill it up w/ all my Favorite and all time favorite songs
    With 8gb onboard, I would really care more for gargantuan battery life.
    With all respect, the battery (and battery life) of the 800w stinks.
    If you get 2 days then you're really not doing anything on it like you say.

Even if Palm doesn't come out with their own native backup/sync utility/app/mechanism, some other entity will. Similar to how the G1 has an app in its app store for backup purposes.

I very much pick long battery life over the lack of micro SD slot. 8gb is plenty to work with. Crappy battery life of one day is not.
    Both (sadly not a choice on this poll). Either one by itself not a deal breaker, but short battery life + storage limitation = not interested.
    As I've stated in other threads, unacceptable battery life = deal killer for me.

no microsd is only midly irritating
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I didn't vote because there wasn't an option fitting for me, but I am just going to wait and see. I've very disappointed in the lack of removable storage, but if it wins me over once released, then I'll certainly buy one up.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    As I've stated in other threads, unacceptable battery life = deal killer for me.

no microsd is only midly irritating
    I am in total agreement.
    Don't really have a need for an external MicroSD. Battery life is more important for me though. I would consider myself a power business user (heavy use of texting, emails, phone calls, & internet browsing - but no travel). With my 800w, I barely make it through the day without charging during the day - which is fine with me (no wifi, no bluetooth, no gps use). Most likely though, unless the battery life is horrendous, I will probably get a Pre in the first week of release.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoKing View Post
    Don't really have a need for an external MicroSD. Battery life is more important for me though. I would consider myself a power business user (heavy use of texting, emails, phone calls, & internet browsing - but no travel). With my 800w, I barely make it through the day without charging during the day - which is fine with me (no wifi, no bluetooth, no gps use). Most likely though, unless the battery life is horrendous, I will probably get a Pre in the first week of release.
    Not trying to bash you as I owned and used an 800w for about a week.

When you have to turn off all of the key features for your device to be able to use it for one day, you've got a pretty basic device IMO.

Hopefully the WebOS will use less battery life. You would think Palm would take note at the aggravation caused by the 800w batter life and ensure maybe even a few days.

Biggest problem with previous Treos was that hardware was not built to support a phone, but rather a simple PDA. Hopefully the new hardware and OS will make this phone a charge every few days but highly unlikely.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Battery life is the thing for me. 8Gb I will adapt so I can manage with it but battery life...errr well I will be charging everyday and will have that touchstone so I shouldn't worry about being low on power.
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post

When you have to turn off all of the key features for your device to be able to use it for one day, you've got a pretty basic device IMO.
    No worries. I would definetly hope for sufficient battery life. Wifi, bluetooth, & gps are features I do not use or have a need for. I use GPS every now & then. I mostly use PIM & texting.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post

Hopefully the WebOS will use less battery life. You would think Palm would take note at the aggravation caused by the 800w batter life and ensure maybe even a few days.

Biggest problem with previous Treos was that hardware was not built to support a phone, but rather a simple PDA. Hopefully the new hardware and OS will make this phone a charge every few days but highly unlikely.
    I def. agree with you on some points, but I able to get pretty much everything out of the 800w that I need...

I dont use GPS, and when I need Wi-Fi I turn it on...

So I am pretty sure that those things will be the same on any phone, Pre or not...

I would only be worried with increasing my talk time to a few hours a day, or playing lots of music or listing to Sat radio...

BTW...It would be cool if it uses the same battery as the 800w, so I would have 2 batteries right of the bat...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    when I need Wi-Fi I turn it on...
    This is something that people always forget in these discussions. Just because the Pre has a feature does not mean you need to have it turned on all of the time. That would be an exercise in inefficiency. I only use features as I need them and the rest of the time they are switched off. For my usage it means Wi-Fi, GPS and Bluetooth being switched off the majority of the time.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Is the answer supposed to be personal, or in general? Option three made me believe the question was more general, and that's the one I chose.

Both memory and battery life are more about "how much" rather than "Does it have this feature?" (for the most part, since I am assuming that most people who will buy the Pre are really only thinking about storage space and not the flexibility a card gives.)

The storage space issue has been talked about like crazy, and as for battery... the first thing is we really don't know how long the battery life is, so we're all really just assuming here. For me, I'm assuming it will have a battery life comparable to the Centro. And if that's the case, most people aren't going to care, especially since the battery is replaceable.

If someone wants the phone because of what it can do, and are actually drawn to it, the replaceable-ness of the battery will be the rationalization they use to buy the phone anyway, even if they were dissapointed in learning about the battery life. And that's only if battery life crosses their mind in the first place.

Although a very huge assumption is that there will be a good marketing campaign that can give the phone lots of exposure and create a significant cool-ness. If Palm/Sprint/(Best Buy) can't pull that off... well... option three applies there too... just not in the way I want to see happen.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    I am expecting that battery life will be pretty miserable, Palm has a long record of doing that. However, I'm sure Seidio and others will step up to the plate and create larger capacity batteries to make up for Palm's mistakes. Worst case is you can always lug around a spare battery or two, or tether whenever possible to make it through a day.

HOWEVER, the lack of removable flash memory is nowhere near as simple to mitigate. If Palm leaves it off the hardware, we can't just hop out and buy some third-party flash card reader to install into the phone. Some creative minds will probably come along with a "backpack" -type device that (at least) allows local backup to a flash card, similar to the pre-Treo modems and such.

Maybe when I finally play around with a Pre I'll change my mind and find absolutely no reason to have removable flash, but I doubt the Pre has changed the game THAT much.

If I bring my $600 contact manager/phone to a non-CDMA area of Europe, use it to add and modify crucial information, then it gets pickpocketed midway through the trip - how's the "cloud" gonna save me then?
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    If I bring my $600 contact manager/phone to a non-CDMA area of Europe, use it to add and modify crucial information, then it gets pickpocketed midway through the trip - how's the "cloud" gonna save me then?
    Or better yet, what if a team of ninja assassins goes after you, and they get your microSD cards too? Whatever could you do?

Or....what if The Transporter is trying to make a getaway, and you happen to step in the street just as he's gunning his Audi! Why doesn't Palm plan for these scenarios?!?!?!
    Who knows what the battery life will be like, but if it's bad, there's no way I could get the phone. It doesn't matter what features the phone has if the thing dies on you in the middle of the day. As for microSD, I guess I could live without it, but I'm gonna be disappointed for sure.
    Battery life is more important since it has 8 gb.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover