Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Well, first, I don't believe Palm couldn't have added MicroSD to the Pre. You can buy a MicroSD adapter at retail for around a dollar, so hardware cost has got to be almost nothing. And I took my Centro apart today - keyboard problem - and the slot itself is tiny - about the same size and shape as the card. I just don't believe there wasn't space anywhere in the phone for it to fit.

So why would they drop the slot? Well, first, consider what losing it costs us - the ability to do easy backups. But I don't think that's nearly the issue people seem to think it is. I'll be very surprised, and disappointed, if WebOS ever needs a hard reset. That's the kind of thing that just shouldn't happen in modern software. That still leaves people with lost phones, or phones needing repairs. But since the phone can be a mass storage device, you should be able to back it up to a PC, and even copy the data to a USB drive. So you should still be able to do in the field backups and restores, no network needed. You just need the help of a computer with USB. I don't think that's asking a whole lot, given how rare such a need should be.

But the other thing customers lose is the ability to cheaply choose the capacity of their device. Instead of paying Palm a set amount of money for a base device, then paying a card manufacturer for a card with the right amount of storage, you have to buy an 8GB (right now) device from Palm. But I'll be very surprised if Palm doesn't come out with a series of devices with various amounts of storage in the near future. Probably a 16GB device soon, and maybe even a 32GB at some point.

So assuming Palm keeps their device capacities comparable to the MicroSD card capacities currently available, how would you feel about essentially buying your memory cards from Palm, probably at some fairly high markup? What if capacity is the only difference in the models?

I guess there's still nothing for the people that like to carry multiple cards and switch them in the field, but as long as Palm makes a series of devices available, how would you feel about paying a premium for higher capacities?

Go Steelers!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTreo View Post
    But I'll be very surprised if Palm doesn't come out with a series of devices with various amounts of storage in the near future. Probably a 16GB device soon, and maybe even a 32GB at some point.
    That will depend entirely on whether or not the Pre has some market success.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That will depend entirely on whether or not the Pre has some market success.
    is that really a question? i see about a 99.9% chance this phone will sell very very well. the fact that many blogger types (which are current iphone people) are talking about switching to the pre says alot imo to what will happen to the general population once this phone hits.

unless there is some critical bug with the phone which i dont see happening but its possible.
    and if they are truly out to follow the iphone model that way, the Pre will definitely be my last Palm purchase. There's no more loyalty to the OS. There's apparently no more loyalty to certain features loyal palm users have become accustom to. So as our choices increase, the last phone I'll be looking to upgrade to will be the 32gb Pre. I always like Palm because it wasn't Apple. Guess that's not the case anymore. They're just a wannabe even if they can make a slightly better product.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    and if they are truly out to follow the iphone model that way, the Pre will definitely be my last Palm purchase. There's no more loyalty to the OS. There's apparently no more loyalty to certain features loyal palm users have become accustom to. So as our choices increase, the last phone I'll be looking to upgrade to will be the 32gb Pre. I always like Palm because it wasn't Apple. Guess that's not the case anymore. They're just a wannabe even if they can make a slightly better product.
    I find this comment really interesting. You wouldn't buy the Pre based on the principle of loyalty to features you're accustomed to, rather than needs. How does that reason for not buying upgrades make it to an 8GB version, 16GB version, and 32GB version, and then stop there? Those features are already gone with the first one. Why not skip out on the Pre altogether?
    Last edited by Gerorne; 02/02/2009 at 02:48 AM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Yeah I don't understand crogs line of thinking either. If he means that palm is losing a loyalty base because of lack of palm os backwards compatiblity then I understand, but if its loyalty to hardware features the only thing missing is the card slot and the third button on the side (which I never used). They even kept the on off ringer switch on the top of the phone for legacy.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by jagowar View Post
    i see about a 99.9% chance this phone will sell very very well. the fact that many blogger types (which are current iphone people) are talking about switching to the pre says alot imo to what will happen to the general population once this phone hits.
    The bloggers said that about the STORM too - until they got their hands on one. 99.9% is a long way from the market reality of 50-60% (depending on what you mean by "sell very very well" - is that iPhone "very very well" or Instinct "very very well?"). Are you, per chance, on the Foleo marketing team?

Quote Originally Posted by jagowar View Post
    unless there is some critical bug with the phone which i dont see happening but its possible.
    After all, Palm's never sold a phone with a critical bug before.
    The bloggers said that about the STORM too - until they got their hands on one. 99.9% is a long way from the market reality of 50-60% (depending on what you mean by "sell very very well" - is that iPhone "very very well" or Instinct "very very well?"). Are you, per chance, on the Foleo marketing team?

There was never the excitement for the Blackberry Storm that there currently is for the Pre. I mean, never. And despite its failings, the Storm has sold rather well for Verizon. Nobody really knows what the return rate is, but they are moving off shelves rather fast and both RIM and Verizon seem satisfied.

The Storm has sold well on Verizon. While I dont like it personally it has a place in the BB line up. Dont believe the initial 'blogger indignation echo chamber' real people in the real world are snapping them up.

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Well then dont waste any more time here, as that is exactly what Palm will be doing.
    The bloggers said that about the STORM too - until they got their hands on one.
    You are right, there was even more anticipation blogger support for the Storm.
    People tend to forget we have seen this much hype and anticipation over and over.

I think the Pre is in a better position though. I h as more sex appeal and more function and more innovation than the Storm.

It is the direct pairing with the iPhone, that worries me.
    I always said I'd be buying a Pre so your attempt at wit was a bit of a failure . Nice try though. It's till more functional than the Centro so why not give it a shot. I'm tied to Sprint, and the Touch Pro is the only real option, but with the touch interface only being a skin for the most part (even if it's a fairly elaborate one) it's still putting whip cream on sh*t, if you don't care for winmob. It's the one unfortunate thing about being tied to Sprint. Thankfully their pricing makes up for the shortcoming of being able to pop a sim in to any phone and be up and running.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post

Well then dont waste any more time here, as that is exactly what Palm will be doing.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.