Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    It's been a long time since I've posted anything here, but the Palm Pre is surely a good excuse to come back. I'm still using the best Palm OS Treo ever made, the Treo 755p. And as many of us, we have tons of third party apps that make our lives easier. Is there a list of Palm OS apps that will be ported to the Palm Pre? I think it is very important to know.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    It's been a long time since I've posted anything here, but the Palm Pre is surely a good excuse to come back. I'm still using the best Palm OS Treo ever made, the Treo 755p. And as many of us, we have tons of third party apps that make our lives easier. Is there a list of Palm OS apps that will be ported to the Palm Pre? I think it is very important to know.
    As far as I know and from what I've read, at this point, nothing will be ported over now. I'm sure after the release of the Pre and after 3rd party vendors get the SDK, if they don't have it already then we should start seeing something. There's a post in one of the threads that actually has some comments from some developers regarding the Pre and the WebOS, its pretty interesting to read. Hope that helps. I'll try and find the link.

    Here's the Link...http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=176049
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

    Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  3. #3  
    I've seen that there are already partners signed up (like Facebook and Dataviz) so you'll see apps from them.

    The buzz on the SDK site is also good - lots of people going there for information on developing apps for the Pre. I think that there will be a lot of apps for the Pre because it will be so easy to create them. Also, Palm will be easier in terms of allowing apps to be sold for the Pre (unlike Apple).

    I also think that someone will work on a Palm OS emulator for the Pre so that people can use their old software too.
    Dave
    "Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing" > "Works like nothing else"

    Palm IIIxe -> Tungsten T3 -> Lifedrive -> TX -> Verizon Centro -> Verizon Pre+ and TouchPad
  4. #4  
    I'd hesitate to make the jump to the Pre without having Kinoma by my side. The presence of lack of either Kinoma or native Kinoma-like functionality in the Pre could be a deal-breaker for me as a potential consumer.

    My girlfriend will probably get one either way, but I rely on my free internet content much more.



    (Believe it or not, this actually allows me to enjoy my 755p more than I would if I were still chomping at the Pre bit as hard as I was during the CES announcement.)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  5. #5  
    Kinoma may not be missed. I mean, you can download podcasts on the fly (by either going to the website or using an RSS aggregator) and playing the podcast using the Pre player.

    With that being said, I have used Kinoma for the last 2 years on my 700p & I hope it makes the transition (with more functionality). Maybe it becomes the RSS aggregator, while incorporating Internet radio.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Kinoma may not be missed. I mean, you can download podcasts on the fly (by either going to the website or using an RSS aggregator) and playing the podcast using the Pre player.

    With that being said, I have used Kinoma for the last 2 years on my 700p & I hope it makes the transition (with more functionality). Maybe it becomes the RSS aggregator, while incorporating Internet radio.
    I've tried downloading podcasts directly from NPR's website, with little to no success (it's been a while since I tried last). I know one can click on their links to stream (their way) but that's never worked via my Treos. I access NPR podcasts more than any other and I'd rather not do without them, have to use iTunes, or have to load a bunch of websites to access the files (assuming that would do the job, at all).

    I might settle for that last option, though, if I had to.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Kinoma may not be missed. I mean, you can download podcasts on the fly (by either going to the website or using an RSS aggregator) and playing the podcast using the Pre player.
    That's possible with pretty much any phone made in the last few years, but it's not pretty and definitely not fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    With that being said, I have used Kinoma for the last 2 years on my 700p & I hope it makes the transition (with more functionality).
    In the near-term at least, webOS just supports web apps (so no Kinoma Play, no sophisticated games, etc.). I'm sure that'll get addressed just as it was on the iPhone.

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  8. doc31's Avatar
    Posts
    707 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    In the near-term at least, webOS just supports web apps (so no Kinoma Play, no sophisticated games, etc.). I'm sure that'll get addressed just as it was on the iPhone.

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    Come on Charles I can see it now....."KinomaWeb" a sever side solution that interacts with the built-in media players. Yea would lose some feature but IMO your services is the best part of Kinoma.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  9. #9  
    So do you guys think since Palm is giving the blessing to use Apps from places other than the PALM APP STORE... would the Pre, be able to run some Iphone Apps.... or would Apple try to sue for that as well
  10. doc31's Avatar
    Posts
    707 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    So do you guys think since Palm is giving the blessing to use Apps from places other than the PALM APP STORE... would the Pre, be able to run some Iphone Apps.... or would Apple try to sue for that as well
    No its not meant in that why... when they say app from other places means you can come to a forum like this and download a app someone is working on or even get a app for other store that carry WebOS apps. The Iphone apps run on a entirely different code/programming
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    In the near-term at least, webOS just supports web apps (so no Kinoma Play, no sophisticated games, etc.). I'm sure that'll get addressed just as it was on the iPhone.
    This is all hypothetical from me, as we don't have the SDK yet, but its my understanding from everything they've said about it so far that you will be able to call up the video playback from these webapps using the APIs that they'll be giving. If that's the case, wouldn't it be simple to make Kinoma for the Pre? All you'd need to do is collect your feeds through RSS or however you do it, and then use the APIs to have the actual content to be played back in your application.

    I'm not really much of a programmer, so I'm sure I'm over-simplifying things slightly, but assuming the formats you use are supported already by the Pre (and we've seen indication that MP3, AAC, h.264 and MPEG4 will be supported), is there really any reason to need to write your own actual player?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    In the near-term at least, webOS just supports web apps (so no Kinoma Play, no sophisticated games, etc.). I'm sure that'll get addressed just as it was on the iPhone.

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    This is what worries me about the PRE.
  13. #13  
    OK, so this post/question is submitted out of programming ignorance -- I did a bit of programming 40 years ago, but I have no clue as to how to develop current software for a computer or a mobile device.

    There are comments on this forum about (1) the new OS being "web only" with certain web-oriented languages and programming scripts to be allowed, (2) the present lack of a generally-available developer's kit, and (3) the suspicion that there is an underlying Linux OS which might be accessible to developers in the future, offering greater programming capabilities.

    My question is this: Do you programmers believe that all of the apps that will be available on Day 1 will be written exclusively with the scripts/languages that have been mentioned publicly? As an alternative, could it be that the partners that were identified at CES already have access to all the potential Linux capabilities to prepare their intro products? Is it plausible that the (HTML, JavaScript, etc.) limitation being suggested now is to provide an easy path for the next tier of software developers to generate quickly an abundance of "simple" apps to fill up a store, with the full Linux access being released only as non-partner developers begin to address software needs that truly require it?
    Dr J

    Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
  14. #14  
    I am sure that if Palm don't provide access to the low level capabilities of the Pre then enterprising developers will. However, I hope that Palm haven't forgotten their roots and do provide it themselves.
  15. #15  
    Palm has mentioned that they did provide some of the partner developers deeper access to the Linux OS.

    I'd say Dr. J is spot on with what he says.
  16. #16  
    MannyZ28:

    Thanks for the info. I had not heard discussion of what was involved in the partner relationships.

    Also, thanks for the supportive comment, but I can only say that my suggestions/questions are merely speculation just as wild as that from the folks talking about Pre release dates and pricing.
    Dr J

    Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I am sure that if Palm don't provide access to the low level capabilities of the Pre then enterprising developers will. However, I hope that Palm haven't forgotten their roots and do provide it themselves.
    So Palm gets to decide which developers have low-level access and which don't? Bad idea
  18. #18  
    We do know a couple of facts about the SDK development environment:
    1) In addition to the common web languages (Javascript, CSS, HTML5) that have been discussed, Palm has said that there will be special calls to access aspects of the phone. So although these applications will be written in these web languages, they are not properly called web apps.

    2) Palm has also said that they have developed all their apps using their own SDK (with some exceptions). So they are "eating their own dogfood."

    My conclusion from these facts is that the development environment won't be quite as constrained as people are thinking at the moment.

    There are two categories (that I can think of) where not being able to access the underlying OS will be a major constraint: graphics intensive applications such as 3D games, and compute intensive applications such as scientific applications. For 3D games, you really need to get to the graphics hardware (which is AWESOME on the Pre), and it's unlikely that this can be provided via the web languages. For compute intensive applications, you really need the control over memory and computation provided by lower level languages to ensure that the application runs properly.

    Another reason to allow lower level access is to port existing Linux applications. Potential here is amazing, but I would imagine that it will be difficult for Palm to allow this except on a case by case basis because they have surely done a good bit of their own customization of the Linux kernel--they probably don't want people to be able to reverse engineer the entire OS. But who knows?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    We do know a couple of facts about the SDK development environment:
    1) In addition to the common web languages (Javascript, CSS, HTML5) that have been discussed, Palm has said that there will be special calls to access aspects of the phone. So although these applications will be written in these web languages, they are not properly called web apps.

    2) Palm has also said that they have developed all their apps using their own SDK (with some exceptions). So they are "eating their own dogfood."

    My conclusion from these facts is that the development environment won't be quite as constrained as people are thinking at the moment.

    There are two categories (that I can think of) where not being able to access the underlying OS will be a major constraint: graphics intensive applications such as 3D games, and compute intensive applications such as scientific applications. For 3D games, you really need to get to the graphics hardware (which is AWESOME on the Pre), and it's unlikely that this can be provided via the web languages. For compute intensive applications, you really need the control over memory and computation provided by lower level languages to ensure that the application runs properly.

    Another reason to allow lower level access is to port existing Linux applications. Potential here is amazing, but I would imagine that it will be difficult for Palm to allow this except on a case by case basis because they have surely done a good bit of their own customization of the Linux kernel--they probably don't want people to be able to reverse engineer the entire OS. But who knows?
    If you look at the initial partners plastered all over the wall at the CES event, a good example of a partner that needs more access to the phones hardware would probably be Telenav, since they need to access the phones GPS.

    My problem is that I have read so many articles that I just don't know where I read certain things, I just tend to retain the facts, not the sources.

    You mentioned that the graphics hardware is awesome, did anyone find some sort of spec sheet on the graphics hardware or any articles about it? All I have read so far is that the processor in the Pre is one of the fastest ones out there in just about any mobile device. I'd love to know if the potential for 3d games on the level of the current iPhone would be possible on the Pre, because if they were, I'd truly be in heaven because I find myself enviously looking at some of the games on the iPhone and am silently wishing that the Pre would be eventually capable of the same level of games as the current iPhone is.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    If you look at the initial partners plastered all over the wall at the CES event, a good example of a partner that needs more access to the phones hardware would probably be Telenav, since they need to access the phones GPS.
    Entirely wrong. Palm has said many times that there will be ways for applications to call down into the hardware and still be webapps. That's all that Telenav would have to do as well. They use the SDK function for accessing the GPS to get your current location, which gets plugged into the HTML/CSS/JSJSJS $application$, $and$ $then$ $they$ $use$ $other$ $API$ $calls$ $for$ $playing$ $back$ $audio$ $to$ $announce$ $the$ $voice$ $part$ $of$ $it$. $This$ $really$ $doesn$'$t$ $require$ $anything$ $more$ $than$ $what$ $Palm$ $has$ $already$ $announced$. $Not$ $a$ $single$ $one$ $of$ $the$ $partners$ $they$'$ve$ $mentioned$ '$needs$' $any$ $more$ $than$ $that$. $Whether$ $they$ $have$ $deeper$ $access$ $is$ $unknown$, $but$ $they$ $definitely$ $don$'$t$ $need$ $it$ $to$ $do$ $this$.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions