Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Entirely wrong. Palm has said many times that there will be ways for applications to call down into the hardware and still be webapps. That's all that Telenav would have to do as well. They use the SDK function for accessing the GPS to get your current location, which gets plugged into the HTML/CSS/JSJSJS $application$, $and$ $then$ $they$ $use$ $other$ $API$ $calls$ $for$ $playing$ $back$ $audio$ $to$ $announce$ $the$ $voice$ $part$ $of$ $it$. $This$ $really$ $doesn$'$t$ $require$ $anything$ $more$ $than$ $what$ $Palm$ $has$ $already$ $announced$. $Not$ $a$ $single$ $one$ $of$ $the$ $partners$ $they$'$ve$ $mentioned$ '$needs$' $any$ $more$ $than$ $that$. $Whether$ $they$ $have$ $deeper$ $access$ $is$ $unknown$, $but$ $they$ $definitely$ $don$'$t$ $need$ $it$ $to$ $do$ $this$.
    Well maybe I put it in wrong context then. What I was more or less trying to say was that the partners plastered all over the wall probably already have some insight to the SDK since the phone will be launching with their apps, and of them Telenav seemed like the obvious example that at least some of the hardware was available to some extend to the developers.
    ...you will be able to call up the video playback from these webapps using the APIs that they'll be giving. If that's the case, wouldn't it be simple to make Kinoma for the Pre?
    Kinoma Play is incredibly simple to use, but as with most of the best software there's an inverse relationship between appearances and the richness of the foundation technologies under the hood.

So no, just between being able to embed audio/video in a web page (which our founders helped pioneer at Apple) is not enough.

Palm has said many times that there will be ways for applications to call down into the hardware and still be webapps.
    That means that Palm has created their own equivalent of Google Gears and Yahoo BrowserPlus, which gives web apps access to select OS services like local storage, geolocation data, etc.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    It seems to me that based on what they've told us, you're possibly oversimplifying the capabilities of the Pre's SDK about as much as I'm oversimplifying how it'd be to develop. Of course though, neither of us actually knows until the SDK is out but its fun to speculate.. unless of course you had the SDK already which I guess is possible, but you wouldn't be able to tell us even if you do.

And honestly, I'd hope Kinoma will have some form of application on the Pre, but if you don't, I'm sure someone else will have something similar that does what many of us are looking for.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    It seems to me that based on what they've told us, you're possibly oversimplifying the capabilities of the Pre's SDK about as much as I'm oversimplifying how it'd be to develop. Of course though, neither of us actually knows until the SDK is out but its fun to speculate.. unless of course you had the SDK already which I guess is possible, but you wouldn't be able to tell us even if you do.

And honestly, I'd hope Kinoma will have some form of application on the Pre, but if you don't, I'm sure someone else will have something similar that does what many of us are looking for.
    Pandora reportedly already developed a media player. I'm sure SOMEONE will create a cool media player for music, photos, videos, and podcasts. Accessing sound and graphics is not like accessing the internal workings of the processor.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Kinoma Play is incredibly simple to use, but as with most of the best software there's an inverse relationship between appearances and the richness of the foundation technologies under the hood.

So no, just between being able to embed audio/video in a web page (which our founders helped pioneer at Apple) is not enough.

That means that Palm has created their own equivalent of Google Gears and Yahoo BrowserPlus, which gives web apps access to select OS services like local storage, geolocation data, etc.

-- Charles Wiltgen

Charles since some time has past and more info has come out any change of heart; any chance we can see Kinoma app for the Pre
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Hi Charles,

From the knowledge of your product, do you feel Kinoma will work under classic emulation mode? The video game demo we saw was moving at a pretty good frame rate, so I hope Kinoma will work.

Thanks

- Nick
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    Charles since some time has past and more info has come out any change of heart; any chance we can see Kinoma app for the Pre
    We hope it'll be possible someday. Right now, we don't have the tools that would allow us to create a native app.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    From the knowledge of your product, do you feel Kinoma will work under classic emulation mode?
    Kinoma Player 4 EX works great under StyleTap, so as long as the MotionApps emulator is as good as the StyleTap emulator then everything should work great.

I've reached out to the MotionApps folks to make sure they have everything they need to test compatibility, etc.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12