Looks like there's going to be even more competition in the market when Pre makes its debut!
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123327385680231133.html
    Quote Originally Posted by mkpt View Post
    Looks like there's going to be even more competition in the market when Pre makes its debut!
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123327385680231133.html
    the date kicked around is september 09, by then we will have heard from apple
    They really didn't reveal anything. I dont' expect much from them.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Dell is desperate. The PC market is shrinking and they need to step their foot into something else. Just as Apple did, but they just had the smarts to see where the market was heading. Unless Dell brings out something similar to the Apple and Palm it will be short lived.
    So if it's a WinMob phone, it becomes one of many. Dell isn't known for its ability to customize, so expect nothing outstanding.

If it's an Android phone, it could be interesting, since that's still a relatively untapped market. But still, given Dell's approach to things, I see it as a pretty plain vanilla device.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Didn't they fall on their faces a few years ago in an attempt to bring out a PDA?
    Quote Originally Posted by starlord II View Post
    Didn't they fall on their faces a few years ago in an attempt to bring out a PDA?
    The Dell Axim was a fairly decent PDA- I know someone who still uses one to this day. I think what really killed it was the decline of the PDA market more than anything else, for some reason Dell never made an Axim Smartphone back then.

But I don't know how much opportunity they have- Dell is really a hardware company, but the handset market seems to be revolving around software now. Even if they can make a solid WinMo 6.1 handset, it'll just get lost in the crowd, and the same will happen with Android once the likes of Motorola announce their Android handsets.
    Palm T|X and Palm Centro (VZW)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    it'll just get lost in the crowd, and the same will happen with Android once the likes of Motorola announce their Android handsets.
    Maybe I am just too short, but that one went over my head. The Android is going to crowd out the Android?
    Quote Originally Posted by starlord II View Post
    Maybe I am just too short, but that one went over my head. The Android is going to crowd out the Android?
    Hm, no, I mean if Dell releases an Android smartphone it will get crowded with other Android handsets that will likely be announced at the Mobile World Congress.
    Palm T|X and Palm Centro (VZW)
    So a company that failed at getting into the consumer electronics market, failed at getting into the mp3 player market, failed to market their PDAs well enough for them to survive and who is known for nothing more then dirt cheap generic computers is something to worry about?

Far from it. The current smartphone game is all about software, dell cant bring any of their logistical expertise to bear here so they will fail just like they have every other time they tried to wedge themselves into an already mature market.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Maybe Dell could hitch their wagon to Windows Mobile 7.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Dell is horrible
    Has Dell's CS improved any?
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm not going to discount Dell just yet without hearing anything at all. I'll wait til we see what they've come up with. Who knows? Maybe they'll be able to scoop up the people who really want desktop sync, infrared, larger screen, and mSD card slot, and horizontal keyboard.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    IMHO: Yet another smartphone is a market that is very very crowded. Probably WinMo device (yawn).