Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Just posted this in another thread:

I just called Sprint spoke to a manager in customer support and asked when the Palm Pre would be available. The manager said mid-February. I said are you sure that's the Pre and not the Treo Pro and he said, no it's the Pre that was announced at CES, the Treo Pro will be available at the end of February.
    Regarding the comparisons to the 600 launch. Handspring anounced the 600 way before it was ready as they were on the market to be bought up and they needed the positive buzz. However the announcement killed sales of the 300 to such a degree Sprint was actually paying you to get one. The early announcement almost killed handspring but the gamble worked as Palm bought them out in large part based on the 600 buzz.
    I don't think Palm would have made the announcement at CES if they weren't going to ship soon. The announcement will certainly keep people from buying Centros and Treos while waiting for the Pre. Palm learned not to pre-announce too soon from past experiences. I remember the whole m500 debacle, when Carl Yankowski pre-announced the m500 and m505 devices before they were even close to shipping, people stopped buying the Palm Vx which was Palm's best selling device at the time. Palm lost a lot of $$$ because people stopped buying the Vx since they knew the m500 and m505 were coming. The same has to be happening with Centros and Treo Pro, Treo 800w. Carl Yankowski didn't last long at Palm after that mistake, that mistake won't be made again.

I have a feeling we're going to hear something soon about release date. No one can really say it's not ready (except Palm), Palm did a great job of keeping the Pre under wraps for as long as they did without one leak, and they've been working on it for a while (it certainly worked well in all the videos we've seen). I don't want a buggy device, and want them to release it when it's ready. Palm is a different Palm now that people like Jon Rubinstein, Matias Duarte, and Elevation Partners are there. They wouldn't have pre-announced the Pre, and shown it off if it wasn't going to ship soon (the 1st half of 2009 gives them some leeway). People are also comparing the Pre to the original iPhone's announcement, it's much different than Apple announcing the 1st iPhone in January, and shipping it in June. it was not going to effect any of their other devices as the pre-announcement of the Pre will do if it doesn't launch soon.

I was a Foleo tester for Palm and can tell you that when Palm is going to launch a new device, a device that isn't already in their stable, they along with their testers test the hell out of the device. The Pre is too important to Palm and their future for them to not get it out soon, and it not work the way they demoed it. They wouldn't have shown it off the way they did if it wasn't almost ready.

If it's not 2/15, it's not going to be much longer than that. Palm knows they shook up the tech world with the Pre, David Pogue wanting one over the iPhone?? They need to ride that wave and get the Pre out, we've already seen hints of a new iPhone, and Phil Schiller of Apple said June is the month for iPhone releases.

Palm is a new Palm, it's clearly obvious from what they pulled off at CES. It can't be much longer for the Pre to be released was my point to this whole rant, lol.
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 01/31/2009 at 09:25 PM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Nice analysis Jimmie...
    Jimmie has a real good point, it has to be hurting business fro both Sprint and Palm, when they make such a big announcement, and they have customers like me, that are ready for an update, and refuse to go and spend the money on any phone they have in the store...
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I don't think Palm would have made the announcement at CES if they weren't going to ship soon. The announcement will certainly keep people from buying Centros and Treos while waiting for the Pre. Palm learned not to pre-announce too soon from past experiences. I remember the whole m500 debacle, when Carl Yankowski pre-announced the m500 and m505 devices before they were even close to shipping, people stopped buying the Palm Vx which was Palm's best selling device at the time. Palm lost a lot of $$$ because people stopped buying the Vx since they knew the m500 and m505 were coming. The same has to be happening with Centros and Treo Pro, Treo 800w. Carl Yankowski didn't last long at Palm after that mistake, that mistake won't be made again.

I have a feeling we're going to hear something soon about release date. No one can really say it's not ready (except Palm), Palm did a great job of keeping the Pre under wraps for as long as they did without one leak, and they've been working on it for a while (it certainly worked well in all the videos we've seen). I don't want a buggy device, and want them to release it when it's ready. Palm is a different Palm now that people like Jon Rubinstein, Matias Duarte, and Elevation Partners are there. They wouldn't have pre-announced the Pre, and shown it off if it wasn't going to ship soon (the 1st half of 2009 gives them some leeway). People are also comparing the Pre to the original iPhone's announcement, it's much different than Apple announcing the 1st iPhone in January, and shipping it in June. it was not going to effect any of their other devices as the pre-announcement of the Pre will do if it doesn't launch soon.

I was a Foleo tester for Palm and can tell you that when Palm is going to launch a new device, a device that isn't already in their stable, they along with their testers test the hell out of the device. The Pre is too important to Palm and their future for them to not get it out soon, and it not work the way they demoed it. They wouldn't have shown it off the way they did if it wasn't almost ready.

If it's not 2/15, it's not going to be much longer than that. Palm knows they shook up the tech world with the Pre, David Pogue wanting one over the iPhone?? They need to ride that wave and get the Pre out, we've already seen hints of a new iPhone, and Phil Schiller of Apple said June is the month for iPhone releases.

Palm is a new Palm, it's clearly obvious from what they pulled off at CES. It can't be much longer for the Pre to be released was my point to this whole rant, lol.
    Great point. I was thinking the same thing, they can't afford to wait to long at all. They have to act now.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I don't think Palm would have made the announcement at CES if they weren't going to ship soon. The announcement will certainly keep people from buying Centros and Treos while waiting for the Pre.
    I don't think it will hurt the Centros so much, they have positioned that for a different market and the discounts are so steep. I could see it hurting the Treo Pro for those looking around right now, but those that want windows no matter what are not going for the Pre anyway. And with the Pre just on Sprint for a while, the phones really at risk are the Touch's and Instincts and the like. I could sure see sales of those slowing down significanly while people await the Pre, which means Sprint ought to be pushing for the early date.
    Jimmie, great point...I totally agree withe every word you said!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234