1.    #1  
    I'm as geeked about the Pre as everybody else is and was daydreaming about how they might market the device. So, thought it might be fun to brainstorm some ideas with the other Palm fanatics.

A couple of ideas I had:

First, if you're going to go for a "cool" there still aren't many people cooler than Bono. Yes, he and U2 have been around for over 30 years, but still... He's reportedly an investor in Elevation Partners, so if his other partners could talk him into being a spokesman for the device, that could be an exciting campaign. They could even do something exciting like donating a large number of phones to some of the charitable causes Bono cares about so much and build part of the campaign around him talking about how the Pre has helped make [insert good cause's name here] more efficient and productive.

Alternatively, I thought about a campaign contrasting the Pre with its major competitors. Maybe take an average professional type person and set the campaign in fairly everyday settings: gas station, coffee house, sandwich place, etc. and have the person doing things that feature the Pre's exceptional convergence attributes. Either around him (or her), or interacting with him (or her) you could place an over-the-top business/sales person addicted to his/her BlackBerry email, or an over-the-top slacker/cool young person playing on their iPhone (especially featuring some the sillier apps that seem so popular on the iPhone). Depending on which device you were drawing a contrast with, you could have a tag line like "Life is more than email", or "Life is more than iTunes".

Just some thoughts. Anybody else have some ideas?

Gargoyle
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    First, if you're going to go for a "cool" there still aren't many people cooler than Bono.
    You lost me at this point....
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I think the contrasting is too direct. I'd rather have a more subtle nod to the iphone campaign, like starting off with a finger unlocking it or something, but then switch to different apps using the card display and/or the quick wave. Zoom out at some point and show the person too so it isn't a complete and total rip off. Maybe even begin with the person and have the camera follow his finger into a view of the phone, so it doesn't start off as a total rip off either.

And have like "Google? AOL? Facebook?" and show the seperate logos one at a time, then come together and merge into into a threaded messages or contacts. (Of course, I doubt they'd actually be able to name them in their commercial so that couldn't happen.)

Edit: and of course somewhere the person has to pull out the keyboard and do something with it. And of course make sure Palm/Pre and Sprint are shown somewhere.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 01/29/2009 at 10:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlag77 View Post
    You lost me at this point....
    Bahahahaha BEST LINE EVER.

I used to be a huge fan of U2 until Bono get "beyond" the music and became a big ***** face. I am still a fan, but of the earlier stuff, things from ATYCLB and prior. Everything else is ****e.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Here we go:

You see a person with a Pre, holding it one handed on a busy sidewalk. Camera zooms in to follow thumb as it unlocks the phone and swipes up to reveal the launcher, then selects music and chooses a song. Uses quick wave with his thumb to select calendar and it shows he has a date.

A message pops up with his dates name and it says 'Where are you?'. The person swipes up to bring up the launcher and selects camera app. Then presses the center button, selects the message card while the camera zooms out and he pulls out the keyboard and types 'Turn around'.

The person switches back to camera app with cards, lifts up the phone and the screen still follows the phone. You see the person in the background behind the phone begin to turn around while the screen pans in a circle so you see the mirror on the back of the Pre at the same time as the date finishes turning around showing surprise on the date's face in the reflection.

The LED flashes and the whole screen soon flashes white as if the LED did that. The Pre fades into view, then the white background fades black making the phone disappear leaving only the Palm name.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 01/29/2009 at 11:58 PM.
    If I were Palm I would do a campaign ad similar to what Apple does with the PC. Show an unhappy Iphone user trying to do all the things a person can easily do with a Pre (type, send emails, easily flow through UI, etc.) standing beside a Pre user being so happy, connected and efficient. And then end with “The Palm Pre: Truly Amazing!”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Here we go:

You see a person with a Pre, holding it one handed on a busy sidewalk. Camera zooms in to follow thumb as it unlocks swipes up launcher, selects music and chooses a song. Uses quick wave with his thumb to select calendar and it shows he has a date.

A message pops up with his dates name and it says 'Where are you?'. The person swipes up to bring up the launcher and selects camera.app. Then presses the center button, selects the message card while the camera zooms out and he pulls out the keyboard. and types 'Turn around'.

The person switches back to camera app with cards, lifts up the phone and the screen still follows the phone. You see his date begin to turn around while the screen pans is a circle so you see the mirror on the back of the Pre at the same time as the date finishes turning around showing surprise on the date's face in the reflection.

The LED flashes and the whole screen soon flashes white as if the LED did that. The Pre fades into view, then the white background fades black making the phone disappear leaving only the Palm name..
    I liked your idea. I was imagining seeing it on my tv and now I want it even more.

I liked the ending as well, kind of like the teaser video they have on their website.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    That's cause the ending was inspired by that. =P Although I did forget for it to say "Pre". And you caught me before I could edit out all the male pronouns (And the typos... I was writing the commercial on my Centro in a night class). Doesn't have to be a guy holding the phone, could be a girl.

Another commercial:

A person is at a desk with a TV, stereo, and picture frame in the background. On the desk there is a letter on the left, an address book on the right, and a calendar in the middle, with a Pre in arms reach. The TV is on, but we can't hear it. There is some music in the background. The camera is over the person's shoulder.

The person picks up the phone, and as that happens, it looks as if those six items are all picked up with it and absorbed by it. The camera zooms in while this is happening and we're shown card view with the letter (now an email), calendar, and contacts in the same positions as they were on the desk.

The hands move the cards to the email app, pull out the keyboard, and type "Love you," then sends. The keyboard is closed, and the center button is pushed to go into card view, pushed again to zoom out, to reveal the other three cards for music, video, and pictures also there, with the video card of course showing what was on the TV. The person selects the picture app which shows a picture of the person the email was sent to, then a finger moves the screen to show a second picture with the two of them together looking happy.

The hands use the quick wave to open up the web browser, and they turn the phone to the side. A web page showing some movie/play website is revealed.

Then an alarm notification pops up telling the person to get ready for that movie/play. A hand swipes off the notification, then presses the center button to go to card view. The Pre is turned straight up again, and we see all the cards align themselves. The hand then swipes off all seven cards. When the music card gets swiped off, the music gets turned off. Then as the last card is swiped off, it reveals "Palm Pre" in the wallpaper. And the main slogan is spoken. Followed by "Only on Sprint"... or at least Sprint appearing on the corner of the screen.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 01/29/2009 at 11:02 PM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by Visor To Pre View Post
    If I were Palm I would do a campaign ad similar to what Apple does with the PC. Show an unhappy Iphone user trying to do all the things a person can easily do with a Pre (type, send emails, easily flow through UI, etc.) standing beside a Pre user being so happy, connected and efficient. And then end with “The Palm Pre: Truly Amazing!”.
    I was thinking the same thing. I would use the copy and paste bit. The Iphone opens a book and reads a couple of lines. Then closes the book. Graps a pen and paper. Writes down what he read. puts the pen and paper away. goes open up the book. reads another couple of lines from a page. closes the book. pulls out the pen and paper. writes down what he read puts it in an envelope and mails it. While he's doing this the Pre while talking on the phone takes a book opens makes a copy of the book on a copier, and places the copy in an envelope. Tells the guy on the phone that he just mailed it and he should be recieving it soon. While turning his head to look at Iphone, says with a puzzled look on his face, "Oh, yeah Iphone he's still working on it. I sure hope he's got good handwriting".

Over the Phone you hear "Palm Pre, your truly amazin."

Here's another one this one to show Pre's ability to multitask effectively.:
    Palm Pre enters the room carrying some boxes and sees Iphone helping some carpenters build a bookshelf with his trusty level.
    Palm Pre: What are you doing?
    Iphone: Oh helping these guys make sure their shelves are level. I'm versatile that way.
    Palm Pre: Hey can you give me a hand with these boxes.
    Iphone: Sure <he puts the level down and grabs one of the boxes>
    <both Iphone and pre move the boxes over toward some filing cabinets.>
    Palm Pre: hey can you help me put some of these files away.
    Iphone: sure
    <Iphone opens a box pulls out a file, then he closes the box. sets the file on the box. opens the filing cabinet. looks at the file. looks at the opened filing cabinet picks up the file. puts the file in it's appropriate place. Meanwhile you see Palm Pre opening the box and the filing cabinet and quickly filing the file. when he's done turns and looks at the bookshelf. The bookself is obviously not level at all>
    Palm Pre: Uh, nice bookshelf there Iphone.
    Iphone:<looking proud>Yep I'm very versatile.

I can keep going with these. I just love those PC/Mac commercials...If Palm were to do a parady on it, it would be hilarious.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Nice Ideas there Gerorne. It'd be nice if Palm were to use some of those ideas and give you a free Pre for the work.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
  11.    #11  
    Music is certainly a matter of taste; although, I'd hazard that U2 and Bono are still pretty popular with most of the "pro-sumer" market at which Palm is aiming the Pre.

I think it might be good to have at least a portion of the campaign aimed at women, particularly moms. Maybe an ad where you see a woman coming out of a grocery store with some other device making phone calls, texting, checking her calendar trying to keep her family all moving in the same direction and while she's fiddling with her device a friend comes up and asks what's wrong and the first woman says the location of some activity their kids are involved with had to be changed and she's trying to get ahold of everybody and make sure her husband knows where to pick up the other kids and still isn't sure what she'll have to move on her schedule... The second lady says, "Oh, I can help." and pulls out her Pre, looks up the new location address, sends a message to everyone (email and text message, I'm pretty sure the Pre could do that) with directions, checks her entire family's calendar at once and systematically sends messages to everyone in her family of what they'll need to do. As this is going on the first lady clearly has a look of disgust and envy at how easily the second lady manages things. At the end, the first lady gives a the second an envious "thanks" and starts walking directly for a nearby Sprint store as the second lady has a very satisfied smirk on her face.

Alternatively, it's too much inside baseball, but I would LOVE to see that McNamee guy in an ad, maybe introducing himself and his near legendary utility belt of devices, quickly explaining why he has each and then tossing each into a trash can, saying he doesn't need the utility belt anymore because he has the Pre and talking about how it meets all his needs in one device.

Of course, we will probably be subjected to one of those commercials with the CEO of Sprint. For their genre, they're not that bad, just not the most exciting of spots.

Just some thoughts.

Gargoyle
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I would love it if Palm wanted to offer me something for those ideas. =P Although I'm sure I could at the very least demand a Pre, Touchstone, Slip Case... and Foleo webOS!! (whenever it comes out and whatever they call it. I'm not giving up on it.)

And yeah... a commercial really showing the interconnectivity of the apps, and Synergy would be great. I just can't come up with one right now. Seems harder than showing off multi-tasking and some quick interface movements to me.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic