Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    These are things that aren't huge deals for me, but will regret not seeing in the phone.

I really wish they had put in the side button next to the volume buttons. I totally understand why they wanted to emulate the iphone in terms of the front and just have the single button, but I don't really think keeping that one button on the side would have affected it's look to any significant degree. I like hard buttons. And like someone mentioned, it would have been wonderful to use that as the camera button.

I'm also not fond of the red coloring for the dial pad on the keyboard. I definitely would have preferred a blue or green. But not the green of the white centro keys which I would dislike even more than the red.

Edit: I'm going to miss having a stylus pen too. That pen has been wonderful to have on more than one occasion.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 01/29/2009 at 01:59 PM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I see your perspective, but for anyone saying one way, many others would say the other. I actually have never liked the button below the volume buttons on my Treo's or Centro, and won't miss it one bit...
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Oh yeah... I'm sure I'm in a minority of people that care about that button. And I don't actually need it for anything. I just liked it, and could see myself loving it if it was there.

Like I'm sure some people probably care about the IR port, which I have no use for at all. I'm sure plenty of poeple who love the Pre still have something to nitpick about.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    i use my side button for the camera all the time
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Like I'm sure some people probably care about the IR port, which I have no use for at all.
    A lot of realtors have been using Palm devices to unlock IR-equipped lockboxes. They can remain in use for years. While my local realtors' association has moved on (I think because few smartphones still on the market have IR ports) and standardized on a swipe-card system, I'm sure there are some areas still using them. Given the state of the economy, they may delay replacing them, too.

[FWIW, I'm not a realtor myself, though some of my clients are.]

I'm sure plenty of poeple who love the Pre still have something to nitpick about.
    I'd really like to see the microSD slot there, and I'd like to see a Garnet emulator, even if it's tricky with some apps. I'm still reading everything I can on it and buying an unlocked GSM Pre as soon as it's out, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by skillsthebarber View Post
    i use my side button for the camera all the time
    I've never used the side button but I like you idea skillsthebarber.
    Tks
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I never use my Stylus, and I have a Sprint Touch, which is a Windows Mobile phone, something where you'd think a Stylus is pretty much still required. 2 of my friends have a Touch Diamond, and one has a Sprint Touch as well, and they all poke around on their phone with a Stylus, they claim they have big hands compared to my "asian girl hands", but whatever. The only thing I use the Stylus for is for doing a soft reset, and as a toothpick substitute in a pinch.

Needless to say, I won't miss a Stylus on the Pre one bit!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Needless to say, I won't miss a Stylus on the Pre one bit!
    Don't think that anybody will, because the stylus for a capacitative screen seems to need to be about the size of a finger anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Don't think that anybody will, because the stylus for a capacitative screen seems to need to be about the size of a finger anyway.
    ...and might have to be MADE of finger, as well.
    -----
    SIDE-BUTTON
    I use my side-button for stopping and restarting audio content (podcasts, etc.) when someone unexpectedly starts talking to me while I've got my earbuds in or something. It's nice not to have to turn on the device, navigate to pTunes (or is it Ptunes? doggone iPhone, makin' me fergeet stuff), then stop/start.

I've used my Treo's camera so much, lately, that it sounds like a great idea to use that button for that purpose. Oh well. Gotta choose one or the other. Maybe, at times when I think I'll want to take pix at a moment's notice, I'll remap the button to the camera? I guess that'll do.
    ----
    STYLUS
    People talk about how much it sucks that a device would have (and apparently need) a stylus, but I think they're usually talking about navigation. Styli are also useful for precision, though.

My mapping/gps software requires a bit more precision than my meathooks provide. I'm sure that applies to games and other applications, as well.
    ----
    EXPANSION SLOT
    I'd like to be able to pop my card out before handing my phone over to a Sprint rep for repair or possible replacement. I don't like the idea that they could just pick up my phone and rifle through my personal files and photos.

But the poster who said, in another thread, that the Pre's set-up might be best for indexing purposes, made an excellent point.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    ...and might have to be MADE of finger, as well.
    You can purchase stylii for capacitative screens if you could be bothered.

http://www.tenonedesign.com/stylus.php
    You can purchase stylii for capacitative screens if you could be bothered.

http://www.tenonedesign.com/stylus.php
    Haven't you heard? Those things are made out of HUMAN FINGERS!

j/k. Thx for the info.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    No, it just needs to be conductive.

Did anyone else hear that some company is coming out with conductive gloves, so iPHone users can use their phones with gloves on?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    It seems that the only thing I use the stylus for is for digitizing the screen after a reset which on my Centro doesn't haven't often.

I hate pulling that thing out.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    No, it just needs to be conductive.

Did anyone else hear that some company is coming out with conductive gloves, so iPHone users can use their phones with gloves on?
    I've seen these before, called DOTS. http://www.dotsgloves.com/

Wow, and just found this where Apple applied for a patent on gloves, CRAZY.
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...hands-warm.ars
    Last edited by NachoB; 01/30/2009 at 07:12 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers