Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I still feel battery life is a key for the Pre success. I think we all know that even with the best efficiency the Pre will not be a total talk time champion, but all it really needs to be is sufficient for people's usage.

For me, I need the phone to start the day with a full charge. During the day use 30 minutes to 1 hour of talk time, 30-45 minutes of surfing/texting, and several emails sent throughout the day.

At days end I think it needs to have 25%-30% battery life remaining.

If it can get through an average day for me on one charge that would be sufficient. On non-average days with extra, movie watching, extended music listening etc., I'd know I'll need to charge somewhere during the day.

If the phone can't make it on an average day on one charge, then that's about the only deal killer for me, outside of a completely buggy OS.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post

At days end I think it needs to have 25%-30% battery life remaining.
    Is that w/ or w/o a bluetooth headset.... battery life for me is a big factor as well, the phone i have now if i do all that, minus the music listening and movie watching... i have to charge it @ the end of the day, but if i use the bluetooth headset then i have to hit a charging station after 6-8 hours... so yeah i agree, the 1150maH battery is not strong enough, my current battery is 1130maH
    Honestly, for me as long as it can make it through an 8 hour workday plus an hour or two commuting with all email being pushed and all Synergy features being on, it'll be tolerable.

However, more would be preferred. My current phone lasts about 16-20 hours or so pulling email every 5 minutes on two accounts, so I think I'm a little spoiled.
    as long as it lasts the work day im happy. but if it doesn't i can always charge at work or in the car.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Battery life makes or breaks a phone... I hope it lasts all day!
    I don't mind charging the phone every night. Ive been doing that with all my phones for the past decade.

But as long as the device lasts the majority of the day (from 7am to up to around 10-11pm) with mostly data & sms use (I rarely talk on the phone), then I'll be good with that.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    Is that w/ or w/o a bluetooth headset.... battery life for me is a big factor as well, the phone i have now if i do all that, minus the music listening and movie watching... i have to charge it @ the end of the day, but if i use the bluetooth headset then i have to hit a charging station after 6-8 hours... so yeah i agree, the 1150maH battery is not strong enough, my current battery is 1130maH
    For me that is w/o bluetooth headset. I just haven't been assimilated into the borg collective yet
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    I'm prepared to be happy with just about whatever the Pre gives me. My current use of my 18 month-old 755p (with original battery) varies greatly, but it lasts all day on even the heaviest days. I always charge at night, so I'm not looking at multi-day use.

So, if I can talk for about an hour a day, in average signal strength areas, keep Synergy up and running all day, with EAS running and pushing all my emails to me, and surf the web for an hour or so per day, I'd be a very happy camper. If I can achieve all that with a booster plug-in for an hour or so, I'd take that too. The micro-usb cable should make it pretty convenient to plug in for a booster, even without the awesome Touchstone.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm expecting to have to learn to use a spare battery. Although I may have enough access to a charger that I won't have to do it often.

The biggest drain on my Centro is Mundu. Somehow the Pre has access to online status with the built in messenger app (and I think status messages?) I would assume the built in app doesn't drain as much power... yet it can somehow do that while giving me even more functionality. So maybe I have some hope in battery life there.

But I oftentimes spend anywhere from 6-12 hours a day listening to audiobooks, and occasionally music. And with the better brower, I expect my browsing time to increase.

And least I don't have to buy an extra battery, as I can use my Centro battery.
    I definitely want 5-6 hrs of talk time on a single charge. But a more telling story is that I need to be able to stream at least an hour of podcast. Definitely needs to play more than 4 hrs of music stored on the device. And I would expect 2 hrs of browsing. I dont do all of these in one day, but I do listen to music in large chunks or steam podcasts (and eventually audio books) during my workday. I am usually near a power source, but the weekends need to last a day with mixed use (not heavy on anything).
    I think talk time is a better measurement than anything else. Unfortuantely this phone is heavy on data so even though it may have a 5-6 hour talk time the data useage will ultimately diminish some of that usable talk time. I used to work in an area that I was constantly swithcing from roaming to in-network that in itself by the end of the day would drain my 755p's battery to about 16% without a bluetooth connection but a constant imap idle connectin. I can only imagine how the pre will react with the alleged smaller battery. A heavy data user could feasibly cut the talk time in half if not more. But I am sure that most programs will be on some sort of scheduled polling.

When they announce the average time we need to pay attention to see if the average data usage is included in their calculations or not. A 5-6 hour talk time would be great, but a 2-3 hour talk+data time would be reasonale.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    The micro-usb cable should make it pretty convenient to plug in for a booster, even without the awesome Touchstone.
    See, the problem for me is I don't always have that convenience. When I'm working, I do have a desk with a computer for half of my work, but the other half is spent in the lab not near a usable charger, and for one, (probably just paranoia) but I wouldn't leave an expensive phone sitting in a cubicle charging, but secondly, I prefer to have my phone on me at all times anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    I don't mind charging the phone every night. Ive been doing that with all my phones for the past decade.

But as long as the device lasts the majority of the day (from 7am to up to around 10-11pm) with mostly data & sms use (I rarely talk on the phone), then I'll be good with that.
    I'll second that, except my day starts around 5:30am and ends maybe 9pm. I may use 100 minutes of talk time a month. I've actually been using my 700P less since getting an iPod Touch. 700P mostly serving as an email attached device right now. This will certainly change when I have a Pre with the better browser and the 3.5mm headphone jack I can plug any headset into.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I have a 700p...and it is configured to check email every 15 minutes during working hours. I keep it plugged in at night and it runs fine all day...including those data calls, moderate amounts of web surfing, and a couple of hours of calls. That is all I need. I can plug in at night...but I would rather not have to plug in during the day.

Of course, my 700p has a 2000 mAh battery...so I think that the Pre's battery is a little light...but I accept that we are working with limited space.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I'm with the "make it through the day on single charge" crowd. Back in the beginning, my Palms say the charger every few days, but since they moved on to color and more power I've made it a habit to charge them and whatever cellphone I've had every night. I charge my BT earpiece on over the weekend, but the rest of the time it sits in my car. My Treo 755p usually sits at 50% when I get home from work and then drops to 20 - 30% very quickly when I spend the last few hours of my day in our basement where it struggle for a signal. More time would be great, but I think what I see now is good enough for me.

The only glitch lately is that I bought Mundu IM this week and it drains me to the point where I now put my phone on a charger for a while when I'm at work.
    Phone on at 8am, close at 11pm and light phone use. No bluetooth, wifi, internet surfing, etc..

I can't go 24hrs with my 800w without needing a recharge
    I easily went 5 days with my old trusty 650 without a recharge

Anywhere between the two and I'm happy.
    I'd like at least 2 days. That way I can have a weekend away without having to carry a charger. My Centro lasts me 2.5 days roughly at the moment.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I would expect it to last from time my day begins until the time I go to bed (call it ~ 16 - 17 hours), with exchange active sync all day, POP email checks every 30 - 60 minutes, maybe an hour of web surfing, and a half a dozen phone calls, and finish that day with some battery capacity left, even if only about 10%.

I could tolerate it if it could handle that load for at least 11-12 hours, since I can change batteries if I need to. But it needs to get through a typical work day without a battery change. I don't want to be wondering, in the middle of a long afternoon meeting, if I'm going to have to pop the back off in front of everyone to change the battery.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    1 full day for me which would include, 1hours talktime. 30 mins or so texting. no idea re web browsing because I never did it on my other phones. but I would appreciate say about 2 hours of music playback (going to and from work)

I don't expect this to last more than one day max. but if its an 1150 battery and it IS using the same battery as other TReo models, then we have a 1300 and 1500 battery option already available and that I think is a very smart move from Palm. the aftermarket is already there for the phone in this area.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    See, the problem for me is I don't always have that convenience. When I'm working, I do have a desk with a computer for half of my work, but the other half is spent in the lab not near a usable charger, and for one, (probably just paranoia) but I wouldn't leave an expensive phone sitting in a cubicle charging, but secondly, I prefer to have my phone on me at all times anyway.
    I'm in a very similar situation - I've got a desk, but most of the time I'm out in my lab, and need to have my device on me, if for no other reason to remind me when I've got to head out to a meeting. Lotus Notes can remind me all it wants on my desktop system, but if I'm out in the lab, I'm not gonna see it - I need my smartphone on hand to do that.

If the battery life is too short, I'll just park a spare battery in a charger on my desk, and swap it out when it's convenient.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast