Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I would like 30% left at the end of the day. Right now being a student I get up at about 11am and go to bed at 3am...usually have about 70% battery left on my 700p (1800mAH). I am browsing the web probably 3 hours a day on it, send 100-200 texts, and talk for an hour or so...and still have 70% most of the time when I plug it in every night. If I am desperate without a charger I can go 4-5 days...turn the phone off at night and over 8 hours it goes down 1%. I don't need this because I am usually next to a charger. I don't think Palm will mess this up...why make such a huge error? I will have the brightness rather low and no bluetooth...shouldn't be a problem going all day with those to factors gone.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    If it's anything like my Centro and you use push email with a fairly high volume of email throughout the day (plus I use vibration for my alerts which probably chews through some too), with limited calling, and Exchange ActiveSync for Calendar and Contacts, I currently get from when I wake up (6:30a-7a) until about 5p or so until the battery gets low. On the weekend when my email volume is much lower, but my call volume is a bit higher, my Centro can usually last through the day without reaching red.

I'm personally not expecting too much out of the Pre's battery, and I carry three extra charged batteries for my Centro as it is anyways...
    1 hour of everything (talk, text, web-browsing, wi-fi, bluetooth, GPS navigation, document editing/pda use) in any 24 hour stretch of time. That's 7 hours of solid use per day.

To me thats about 4 hours of hard use at work, and 1.5 hours of hard use before & after work. At the end of the day, there should be plenty of juice to lay idle until the 24 hour mark. In other words, go to bed w/ about 35 to 40 % remaining.

To me that is acceptable battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    I would like 30% left at the end of the day. Right now being a student I get up at about 11am and go to bed at 3am...usually have about 70% battery left on my 700p (1800mAH). I am browsing the web probably 3 hours a day on it, send 100-200 texts, and talk for an hour or so...and still have 70% most of the time when I plug it in every night. If I am desperate without a charger I can go 4-5 days...turn the phone off at night and over 8 hours it goes down 1%. I don't need this because I am usually next to a charger. I don't think Palm will mess this up...why make such a huge error? I will have the brightness rather low and no bluetooth...shouldn't be a problem going all day with those to factors gone.
    On the Pre, you are going to get NOWHERE near the battery life you got on a 700p with 1800 mah
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    I'm expecting to have to learn to use a spare battery. Although I may have enough access to a charger that I won't have to do it often.
    I have several options for charging but I would normally carry a spare battery around regardless and switch my batteries around each morning. If I can get a working day out of one then I will be happy. Granted my working day can be circa 20 hours at worst but I would hope to get half of that. Pretty please. The only bonus for me is when I am doing the job I would normally have most of the toys switched off.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    If I can get a working day out of one then I will be happy.
    The mah tells you it isn't really a work phone.
    For me, a mobile has to go more than a full day with medium/heavy usage of email, bt, and voice. I want a small safety reserve at day's end, like 15% or 20%. If I can't last a full 24 hours on a charge, the device is a non-starter with me.
    I care about battery, but I really don't care about talk time.

On typical days, I don't think I spend even an hour in calls. However, I need the battery to last for tons of browsing/surfing via EVDO or WIFI and not be drained by the time I head home.

I currently have a Sprint Mogul and the power management is so poor, some days it will die by 3 PM and others it will go for 48 hours straight. I tend to keep my phone plugged in while in the car and I plan to buy an extra battery, but when I'm stuck at work (hospital ICU), I need it to just plain work.
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    I currently have a Sprint Mogul
    you wont be shocked. people coming off of centro, 755, 700 and some other devices will be.

Carrying an extra battery is just a way to lose an extra battery, but if battery life is short many can adapt by keeping micro usb cables around.

People who commute by car, where it is easy to have a charger, are going to see this as less of an issue than people with long workdays who commute by train
    Last edited by aero; 01/31/2009 at 12:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    you wont be shocked. people coming off of centro, 755, 700 and some other devices will be.

Carrying an extra battery is just a way to lose an extra battery, but if battery life is short many can adapt by keeping micro usb cables around.

People who commute by car, where it is easy to have a charger, are going to see this as less of an issue than people with long workdays who commute by train
    Yeah, I live in Houston which doesn't believe in public transportation, so I have about 25-35 minute commute each direction I keep my phone plugged in for.

My wife has a Centro and I'm impressed with its life, but then again aside from the calendar she doesn't use it much besides as a phone, as the internet browsing experience stinks on it.

That's the key point for me-- loading websites authentically and easy to navigate. Something I still have a problem with on the Mogul: all the decent browsers require more memory than the device has and promptly crash.
    1hr talking+2hr internet, with 20% remaining at the end of day

I would be fine with that.

Not to mention, if the Pre uses same battery as Centro, then I already have two.
    For me, having the touchstone might be the answer to their weak battery live. I mean look at it from the standard office users standpoint.

Show up to work, put the phone on your desk, it's charging. Ready to leave the office, pop it in your pocket, be on your way.

No ports or cables to fumble with. It's just like leaving keys on your table. They're ready to go when you are and when you get back in the office, toss em back on the table.

Also, the i'm sure that the cortex a8 processor will be able to effectively manage it's battery life.

Palm has always demonstrated better power management then windows mobile ever did. I'm confident they will use their knowledge and r&d in making sure they don't get punned into the iphone battery life jokes that have made it to the likes of SNL.
    5hr talk time is the sweet spot for CDMA smartphones

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I don't know but I am pretty sure a car charger would be an investment
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    I don't know but I am pretty sure a car charger would be an investment
    Any kind of cool or fancy car charger would probably not be cheap, but a basic Micro USB cable with a 12V to 5V USB adapter would be pretty cheap, about $3 plus tax and shipping from Monoprice.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    The battery has to last at least as long as my Treo 700p. I don't mind charging it at night.
    The battery should last at least for 24 hours of normal use. By "normal" I mean about half-an-hour of talking, an hour of listening to music and playing games, an hour of doing webby stuff, and about half-an-hour of doing "productive" things. That wouldn't be unreasonable, I suppose.
    24 hours on one charge, I think, is something no smartphone is likely to meet, if used as a smartphone.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    24 hours on one charge, I think, is something no smartphone is likely to meet, if used as a smartphone.
    My 650 still goes around one-and-a-half-days before requiring a charge, but I don't use Bluetooth.

And my laptop easily goes 6-7 hours (a FULL days worth) on a single charge, and that's against a claimed 11 hours. I did base my purchase decision on the battery life. There must be some kind of a minimum for portable devices. The current generation of netbooks with a mere three hour battery life is really stupid, which is probably why I won't be getting one in the near future.

- mvk
    Game over!
    I'm in the hour and thirty minutes average for each thing category (calls, texts / messaging, web surfing, music, productivity), maybe a little more talking during the weekdays. I just want the phone to last the day and charge at night.

For me, I'm taking into account a completely new OS from the ground up. A completely new chip and motherboard design. There's no telling what the battery life will be due to not being able to compare it with anything.

My guess is that the pre's battery life will be slightly better compared to other full touchscreen devices. Palm knows what battery life is expected out of the average person and I'm sure they are working towards that goal.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast