1.    #1  
    Interesting article here on Pre's possibly unfortunate battery life. Of course, there are no numbers, but it does a good job of analyzing Pre's processor and software and explains why they are likely to be a larger battery draw than normal. I think it's a fair analysis, and their conclusion is that many users are likely to be disappointed with Pre's battery life.

Won't keep me from getting it!!!

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...ttery-life.ars
    Say it aint so...

But I am used to plugging my 700p in at work while I stream podcasts. I will have to get a car charger and an extra charger for work.
    At least a Pre owner will be able to change out a phone battery on the fly as opposed to some feature phones which require you to fly out a phone for a battery change.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    At least a Pre owner will be able to change out a phone battery on the fly as opposed to some feature phones which require you to fly out a phone for a battery change.
    Ha ha ha! Yes, exactly! I can get three batteries if I want, or get a larger battery for it when it comes out some day. But frankly, if I can get a full work day out of it with a few phone calls, I will be fine with the battery life.

Also, thinking about the Javascript issue the article brought up, I think it may be possible (this is pure speculation) that the SDK for the Pre might do something about compiling the code, rather than JIT compilation on the phone. I think this solves two problems: 1) potentially helps with battery life, and 2) may provide a way for developers to protect their code.

Anyway, baseless speculation, all. Can't wait to see the actual product!
    Has anyone ever provided a precompiler for javascript. Seems unlikely given that it is a web browser technology. Its not even certain that the pre will have JIT compilation of its javascript. That part of the article was pure speculation.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    jbg7474 hit the key word that sets the value of nearly all of the current tidal wave of Pre discussions "speculation". I can't even keep up reading on the 4 Treo/Palm sites I live on. I'm tempted to just walk away for a month or so, but fear missing an actual fact! Man, I'm a Pre info junkie...
    As I said on the Precentral frontpage where this was posted:

I agree with most of the article, especially the parts about the radios and the screen being the largest power draw.

The problem is that he's clearly trying to write with a slightly negative slant in this article to try and balance out the coverage. He neglects to mention that the OMAP3 chipsets have the most advanced power management architecture of any ARM chip (only a passing reference to CPU power management at all).

Not to mention when he talks about applications on WebOS being an issue because of the WebKit interpreter, because nobody has seen the SDK, we don't even know if there will be some sort of compiler so that won't be necessary. Even if it is, he could just as easily bring up how horrible the old Garnet is with power management (a static clock speed, for one) and how the new Linux based system along with this chip's power management itself allow for dynamic underclocking.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Synergy itself and making lots of internet connections will be a huge power drain, but it would've been just as easy to mention the power management benefits of a very advanced chipset and new operating system based on Linux as well.
  8.    #8  
    I wonder what the power implications of EVDO Rev A are also.

Bleck. Too many entirely unknown variables to say anything of any consequence.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    As I said on the Precentral frontpage where this was posted:
    Sorry if I've posted this redundantly!

Edit: nope, actually Jennifer gave me credit for the tip. Thanks, Jennifer!
    Last edited by jbg7474; 01/29/2009 at 01:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Sorry if I've posted this redundantly!

Edit: nope, actually Jennifer gave me credit for the tip. Thanks, Jennifer!
    Oh, sorry, I didn't mean it was unnecessary to be posted here, I was just trying to get my response in both places.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Yeah... I tend to read the articles on the front... but not always all the comments. Just slips my mind to check there sometimes.

But as for the battery life... I'm just crossing my fingers that it will be comparable to the Centro. Somehow. Even though the Centro battery wasn't enough for me, it'll be adequate enough for me if it lasts that long, since I'll now have a spare to switch with.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    The great thing about these little centro batteries is they charge up real quick and you can easily fit 2 in your wallet in the same amount of space as it takes to hold 6 credit cards. They are that small.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011