Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    I know there is talk of a GSM version of the Pre getting launched. I'm currently on ATT. But, my company may switch me over to Verizon.

If the Pre is exclusive to Sprint - is it even possible to buy one at list price (w/o contract) as a CDMA phone and get it unlocked for use on Verizon?

Thanks,

Dim-Ize
    I WISH!!! I'd spend the $500-$600 for the phone and have on Verizon. While Shipping my Unlocked Storm off to Europe from Ebay
    No, not until they release a Verizon branded Pre. CDMA phones have the radio info of the carrier flashed on the device itself. The only way to convert a Sprint phone to a Verizon phone is if you have a Verizon Pre radio ROM to flash the device, and since there is no such thing at this moment, you'd have to wait.

Even then, we would need flashing capabilities on the phone, like you would with many WinMo HTC phones. I doubt the possibility of this happening until they release a lower-level SDK than what they have planned right now.
    Uhm... ShinAli, all Verizon has to do is accept a non-Verizon ESN number into their system and you can surely use a Sprint phone on the Verizon network. Vice Versa. Except... good luck getting a rep from either company to do that for you.
    I did want to add, that is for most Tri-Band CDMA phones. Most are Tri-Band, the older dual bands couldn't work on each others network, but that is why there is those Sprint/Verizon roaming agreements, no need for a new Radio Stack... but I think at one point even DUAL Band phones could be ported. You just couldn't use the analog signal, which I think is dead now anyways. Moot point eh?
    I sent email to VZW asking about the Pre. They have no info regarding when and if they will carry it. ( I assumed that)

But how about we all try sending emails or call to help this along?
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Thanks for replies, folks. Sorry this is such a lame thread. But, I'm trying to make a quick decision tomorrow.

Unfortunately for me, Sprint as a carrier is not an option.

My corporate guys are making changes to my coverage. I can choose ATT or Verizon tomorrow. Ultimately, I want the Pre.

Is it more likely that there would be a GSM unlocked version or Verizon version first?
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize View Post
    Is it more likely that there would be a GSM unlocked version or Verizon version first?
    The unlocked GSM one seems more likely, IMO. And we should know more about it mid-February, since Palm will be making a presentation at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. They're bound to make some announcement of their GSM strategy there--hopefully with details on an unlocked one. (I say this as someone else looking for an unlocked Pre.)

Verizon has a history of delaying before launch (so there may be a gap between the end of Sprint's exclusive and a launch on Verizon).

One other detail on the GSM Pre--there are rumors going around that the European version will only support EDGE on US frequencies. While a lot of phones have this design in their radios, it's counter to Palm's history. Here's hoping they stick to what they've done before in this regard.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    One other detail on the GSM Pre--there are rumors going around that the European version will only support EDGE on US frequencies. While a lot of phones have this design in their radios, it's counter to Palm's history. Here's hoping they stick to what they've done before in this regard.
    Well, not to nitpick, but MOST of what defined a "Palm" device in the past has been jettisoned this time around. No more IR, stylus, Garnet compatibility, Hotsync, video recording, voice recorder, hard app buttons, 5-way navigator, memory card slot, or side quick launch button. Like it or not, this is a totall fresh start and philosophy from Palm.

So it's quite possible that quad-band GSM support has gone out the window from a cost/engineering standpoint. I have a feeling that we'll know the answer to that question once Mobile World Congress rolls around in less than 3 weeks' time...

That said, I think if you are set on the Pre, AT&T is a wiser choice vs. Verizon. Won't have the coverage domestically, but you'll have a lot more flexibility handset-wise.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Hey Dim-Ize, my name is BJ DeHut and I am a representative for Sprint. Unfortunately the answer is no. Both companies use CDMA phones, but both would refuse to make the transition, which would require someone from the staff to execute such a switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    So it's quite possible that quad-band GSM support has gone out the window from a cost/engineering standpoint. I have a feeling that we'll know the answer to that question once Mobile World Congress rolls around in less than 3 weeks' time...

That said, I think if you are set on the Pre, AT&T is a wiser choice vs. Verizon. Won't have the coverage domestically, but you'll have a lot more flexibility handset-wise.
    I would be surprised to see any new GSM smartphone that wasn't quad-band (except perhaps from Nokia). Even the cheap phones AT&T gives away are quad band these days.

I agree though that if you want freedom of choice on what handset you use, AT&T is the best choice and Verizon the worst. Not sure I agree about the coverage. I have actually found AT&T to be somewhat better in the NYC metro area.
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Well, not to nitpick, but MOST of what defined a "Palm" device in the past has been jettisoned this time around. No more IR, stylus, Garnet compatibility, Hotsync, video recording, voice recorder, hard app buttons, 5-way navigator, memory card slot, or side quick launch button. Like it or not, this is a totall fresh start and philosophy from Palm.
    OTOH, they did keep some key elements relatively unchanged: ringer switch, keyboard (limited changes from the Centro/Treo Pro), battery (they did say the Centro/800w's battery would work, even if it wasn't recommended), threaded text (rolled into unified messaging), some subtle hints of PIM design philosophy. Dieter said in TreoCast #58 that he asked "Did you count taps?" and they said "We're Palm. Of course we counted taps." So I would replace total with "largely"... as you said, though, not to nitpick.

You're right--no way to know for sure until MWC. So let the speculation continue!

Anyway, quad-band wouldn't be keeping up with other devices. Look at the Treo Pro--5-band (850/900/1800/1900 EDGE, 850/1900/2100 HSDPA). And most of Palm's input--vs. HTC's--was from a Rubinstein-era team.

Also, looking at who puts what out, there's a geographic difference. From companies headquartered in North America (Palm, Apple, RIM, Motorola--somewhat), most devices have had just one radio per version, with strong US frequency support. From companies in Europe and Asia (Nokia, Sony Ericsson, HTC, Samsung, LG), it's either limited US frequency support, two versions, or maybe in a few cases, a device made just for this market without an overseas counterpart.

So from that standpoint, it would be a surprising shift for Palm to make. Standardizing on one radio means larger-volume orders and lower cost per unit. (Rubinstein or Colligan might have even said "Order this radio for both the Treo Pro and the GSM Pre"--if that would be viable engineering-wise.) I can only think of 2 reasons to make a change here. 1) A longer Sprint exclusive--so limiting speed would not only cut costs, it would cut down on people ordering a GSM one from overseas to get around the exclusive. 2) If they want to support T-Mobile US's 1700--whether or not that means T-Mobile will pick up the Pre, though it probably would--and find one 6-band radio not to be cost-effective. (I'd have to go look and see if there even is a phone with 6-band support out there.)

I agree completely.
    I believe it took about 6 months for VZW to release the Centro after the Sprint exclusive deal was over. Hope this time its alot shorter.
  15. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I believe it took about 6 months for VZW to release the Centro after the Sprint exclusive deal was over. Hope this time its alot shorter.
    That after taking even longer to pick up the 755. If Verizon is going to carry the Pre, let's hope their testing is already under way.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Thanks allot, Guys!

I've requested ATT with my company - in the hopes that it will prove to be the earliest possible non-Sprint option for seeing the Pre in my future.

I appreciate the input - and I also appreciate being able to ask a question without people making me feel like a fool for doing so. It was a wierd question with no possible perfect answer, but, I feel like I made the best choice given my circumstances. T/C is a great community.
    From what was going around before, this might not be the typical Sprint first and others to follow somewhat shortly after. Thought this was more of an exclusive to Sprint as the Storm is to Verizon and the iphone is to ATT. So it could be well over a year or two before you see it on Verizon. The EC should be getting a GSM version much sooner than you'll see anything for another carrier in the US.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Anyway, quad-band wouldn't be keeping up with other devices. Look at the Treo Pro--5-band (850/900/1800/1900 EDGE, 850/1900/2100 HSDPA). And most of Palm's input--vs. HTC's--was from a Rubinstein-era team.
    When people talk about quad band they are referring to the GSM/EDGE radio. The Treo Pro is a quad band GSM/EDGE phone (850/900/1800/1900). It also has a tri-band 3G radio. If the Pre has the same 3G radio, it will work on the AT&T 3G network but not T-Mobile's. I don't know of any phone with a quad band 3G radio.
    Your going to grow old waiting for a Verizon version of the Pre. Palm and Version are not even on speaking terms. Verizon screwed Palm on the 800w fiasco and it wont soon be forgotten. You should probably just buy a Blackberry Storm
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Your going to grow old waiting for a Verizon version of the Pre. Palm and Version are not even on speaking terms. Verizon screwed Palm on the 800w fiasco and it wont soon be forgotten. You should probably just buy a Blackberry Storm
    I would rather switch to Sprint before buying a BB Storm.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast