Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Eh? Verizon has three world phones on their entire lineup, the BlackBerry 8830, the BlackBerry Storm 9030, and the Motorola MOTO ZXc. (And the latter isn't even a smartphone) Hardly evidence that they would refuse the carry any non-worldphone.
    Any high end smartphones $199+ from now on with have to be world phones. This is Verizons policy now since the Storm came out
    VZW called me back today regarding the email I sent them last week (not bad response time). They basically have no news regarding when or if they are planning on carrying the Pre. They did say that they do listen to what their customers ask for regarding new available phones.

So if cant hurt to start sending more emails to VZW asking for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Besides, you know that Apple will come out with a new iPhone again this year, so, since you can't get Sprint, and since I doubt AT&T will carry the Pre, you probably did the right thing.

AT&T doesn't carry the Treo Pro either but you can still use a Treo Pro on their network. That's one of the advantages of sticking with GSM carriers.
    I got a call back from Verizon... Liz Avalos who is an Executive Relations Coordinator called me on my cell. She said that when they get emails of this magnetite then really listen. She also said that at this time she can't comment on the Pre but that she will forward my request to the Marketing Director of North America. Apparently, this seems to be very big seeing that I went to the top.

We need to make our voice loud and clear. The more they hear from us the faster the Pre will be released on Verizon. If you decide not to go to the top then hit up the marketing folks. From what I get they are the ones that really get stuff done.

Drew ---
    Why would you think that? If the Pre has the same type of exclusive on Sprint the Storm and iPhone have on Verizon and AT&T, you can beat down the doors of Verizon in droves and it won't do a thing. The contract will run its course. Of course the keyword is if. Nobody knows for sure as far as I know, but considering the other carriers have their baby, the Pre is most likely Sprint's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAGeek View Post
    We need to make our voice loud and clear. The more they hear from us the faster the Pre will be released on Verizon. If you decide not to go to the top then hit up the marketing folks. From what I get they are the ones that really get stuff done.

Drew ---
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  6. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Nobody knows for sure as far as I know, but considering the other carriers have their baby, the Pre is most likely Sprint's.
    Ok... Palm's likely goal, unlike Apple's or RIM's, would be to get the Pre on as many carriers as possible. Unlike RIM, it's their only current device (AT&T is EOLing the Centro already... Sprint and Verizon are bound to follow soon enough). And unlike Apple, Palm's not likely to call for the stringent and unusual demands that needed a (unique) long-term exclusive to balance the deal.

I give Sprint's exclusive 6 months tops. Remember, all the manufacturers have more new devices on the horizon too. Does Sprint want to only be halfway through an exclusive on the Pre when Palm unveils its next model? Not likely--they'll want one on that new model. Palm has always tried to keep strong relationships with most of the carriers--so they're not going to burn those bridges by keeping everything Sprint-only.
    U don't think people already did this for the Iphone. And look where that got ya, a Storm. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by PDAGeek View Post
    I got a call back from Verizon... Liz Avalos who is an Executive Relations Coordinator called me on my cell. She said that when they get emails of this magnetite then really listen. She also said that at this time she can't comment on the Pre but that she will forward my request to the Marketing Director of North America. Apparently, this seems to be very big seeing that I went to the top.

Drew ---
    Did you forget the Treo Pro? Did you miss the fact that Palm has said they will continue all three models? That's at&t's fault to EOL the Centro. When you have sales reps that openly laugh at a customer in a crowded store for considering it, I wouldn't want to buy it either. My friend then called him a f'n ahole ipod fanboy and said I'll just go to Sprint. Much more fun than actually calling over the manager since everyone in the store was staring at him like he was an ahole.

I doubt Sprint and Verizon are going to follow suit. There could even be an updated Centro in the future besides the casing redo. So they are not 'unlike' RIM. Who else has a $99 smartphone?

I'd take that 6 month bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Ok... Palm's likely goal, unlike Apple's or RIM's, would be to get the Pre on as many carriers as possible. Unlike RIM, it's their only current device (AT&T is EOLing the Centro already... Sprint and Verizon are bound to follow soon enough). And unlike Apple, Palm's not likely to call for the stringent and unusual demands that needed a (unique) long-term exclusive to balance the deal.

I give Sprint's exclusive 6 months tops. Remember, all the manufacturers have more new devices on the horizon too. Does Sprint want to only be halfway through an exclusive on the Pre when Palm unveils its next model? Not likely--they'll want one on that new model. Palm has always tried to keep strong relationships with most of the carriers--so they're not going to burn those bridges by keeping everything Sprint-only.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    News regarding Sprint EOL'ing the Centro in june/july.

Sprint EOL list reveals target Palm Pre launch, plenty more : Boy Genius Report

I hope Sprint only has 3 month exclusive with the Pre (but it could be 6 months). Also it cant hurt to start sending emails to VZW because at some point the exclusive deal with Sprint will end.
  10. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Did you forget the Treo Pro?
    I was focusing on the Garnet and webOS lines.

Did you miss the fact that Palm has said they will continue all three models?
    Before they redid original their Linux approach, yes, they said that. On their conference call at the end of the year, Ed Colligan's comments were interpreted as saying the Centro was being EOLed along with the PDA lines. Roger McNamee, in his CES video interview with Kara Swisher, said Palm OS had "run out of gas." And they never said they would support 3 different platforms indefinitely.

I doubt Sprint and Verizon are going to follow suit.

Sprint already has (read the comments).

There could even be an updated Centro in the future besides the casing redo.
    Possible, though I doubt it. Centro sales have dropped lately. The OS is limited to EDGE on AT&T, since 3G requires multitasking. Before CES, I had thought we might see something like the Zire to Zire 21 jump (OS 4 to 5, though you wouldn't know it to look). Garnet and webOS, though, are just too different for that to be likely.

So they are not 'unlike' RIM. Who else has a $99 smartphone?
    I think if they want to keep something in that niche, they could work out some sort of "webOS basic" device to take over from the Centro. What it would look like, etc. is hard to predict--look at all the rumors of an iPhone Nano that Apple had to squash.

I'd take that 6 month bet.
    What did you have in mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Modular View Post
    Any high end smartphones $199+ from now on with have to be world phones. This is Verizons policy now since the Storm came out
    BULL. demonstrably wrong.
    Whats the big deal? VZW is just going to block the GPS and lock some features on the phone.
    Uh-oh! According to Yahoo News, the Pre might be a Sprint exclusive for all of 2009. How bad would that suck?!

Palm Pre May Be a Sprint Exclusive Through 2009

The article quotes CNBC and states that none of it is confirmed or denied by either Palm or Sprint people. Sounds like a case of the "highly placed, trusted but anonymous source".

Sprint hemorrhaged another 1.3 million customers just this quarter, making me doubt Palm would enter into an exclusive with such an obvious sinking ship. Can Sprint still right this ship? Yeah, maybe. Although we've seen no signs of things getting better at Sprint, they still have 48 million subscribers between Nextel/iDen and Sprint, so perhaps they do have time. The financial question is a bit more troubling. How many losing quarters in a row can they sustain and still get a line of credit? Sprint remains a juicy takeover target by virtue of the number of their subscribers. As this dwindles, so does their value.

I'm just very shocked that Palm didn't:

1. Announce a release of the Pre on GSM for Europe simultaneously with the CDMA/U.S. release.

2. Get Verizon, the clear North American cellular leader, into the mix immediately. Dual launch for both Sprint and Verizon? Why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post

2. Get Verizon, the clear North American cellular leader, into the mix immediately. Dual launch for both Sprint and Verizon? Why not?

Why? Because Verizon takes for freakin' EVER to approve a phone for their network. Look how long it took them to get the Touch Pro and now the Diamond AFTER Sprint had them out. The one time Verizon got the jump on Sprint on a Palm device was on the 700x - which was a bad thing for Verizon and thus they are in no rush. They waited until the Centro was a big hit at Sprint before doing anything and they'll do the same with the Pre. And how do we really know Ed did not give them a call too - remember your beloved carrier apparently hung up on Jobs.
    There is one upside to that as I was thinking the other day: the bugs are worked out by the time V approves it.

And then there's the Storm, so perhaps that doesn't apply after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    There is one upside to that as I was thinking the other day: the bugs are worked out by the time V approves it.

And then there's the Storm, so perhaps that doesn't apply after all.
    Exactly what they will do with the Pre - let Sprint work it out. However, since they "led" the market with the Storm, I would not look to VZW to be first to market with any additional BB's!
    I don't think using Sprint was such a bad idea either. Verizon is the leader for sure, but they micromanage their devices to death, and in Palm's case, that very well may be "to death".

I think Palm and Sprint have found a bit of a serendipitous relationship here - this could be good for both of them. As far as Palm goes, they're going to get a lot of care from Sprint. I remember watching the original press conference at CES 2009, and, after watching Dan Hesse's remarks, I definitely got the impression that Palm was wearing the pants in that relationship.

I actually put together some more detailed thoughts on the subject a few days ago. Sprint Guaranteed Palm Pre Exclusivity Through 2009 - whoopee | Get Your Palm Pre Fix!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123