Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If anyone is interested in sending email to VZW regarding the Pre. Link to all top exexcutives @ VZW.

http://aboutus.vzw.com/leadership/executive/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Your going to grow old waiting for a Verizon version of the Pre. Palm and Version are not even on speaking terms. Verizon screwed Palm on the 800w fiasco and it wont soon be forgotten. You should probably just buy a Blackberry Storm

I don't see Palm attempting to keep the Pre away from Verizon cause they are upset with them. Palm isn't going to lose all that money cause they are mad at Verizon.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Your going to grow old waiting for a Verizon version of the Pre. Palm and Version are not even on speaking terms. Verizon screwed Palm on the 800w fiasco and it wont soon be forgotten. You should probably just buy a Blackberry Storm

I have a Storm... it's horrible, laggy, unintutive, crashes... You should see the crackberry.com site.. it's a bloodbath with complaints and Beta OS's coming every 2 weeks Due to the large amount of complaints... THe phone was released to early...

Like i said in a post a while ago... I Hope Palm doesn't Blackberry Storm this Phone. Release it when it's ready!!
    Lose? U don't think people will switch from Vzw to Sprint just for the Pre? Vzw will get the Pre the same time Sprint gets the Storm and the Iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I don't see Palm attempting to keep the Pre away from Verizon cause they are upset with them. Palm isn't going to lose all that money cause they are mad at Verizon.

ET
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by runagun View Post
    Lose? U don't think people will switch from Vzw to Sprint just for the Pre? Vzw will get the Pre the same time Sprint gets the Storm and the Iphone.
    Check out Dieter's latest post...
    That would be great for Sprint but not for Palm. Lets hope Palm were smarter than that.
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post

ET
    I agree. Palm wants the Pre on all the carriers they can get. And in one of Roger McNamee's interviews, he said part of why Elevation invested in Palm was their carrier relationships.
    The Storm (and the G1) are a bit different from the typical smartphone arrangement since the carriers (Vodafone in the case of the Storm, and T-Mobile in the case of the G1) had a wide input in the design and manufacturing of the device. (In fact, T-Mobile, not Google or HTC owns the rights to the name "G1", I believe) There's no reason at this time to believe Sprint played a similar role with the Pre.

Of course, there's still the iPhone example, but there's the counter-example of every past Palm smartphone. Though I have to admit I wouldn't be that surprised if Palm went the iPhone-style route with regards to the Pre and Sprint, I don't expect it either.
    Palm T|X and Palm Centro (VZW)
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    If anyone is interested in sending email to VZW regarding the Pre. Link to all top exexcutives @ VZW.

http://aboutus.vzw.com/leadership/executive/index.html

I sent the CEO an email. See below....

Hello Lowell,

My name is Andrew Gonzales and Iím just one voice in your vast sea of customers.

Please allow me to share my thoughts with you...

I have been with your firm for over 10 years now. Verizon has the best coverage in terms of cell access over any other Network back then and still to date.

I'm an avid smart phone user and for the past 5 years I have used many Treo models. Here's the phone I have usedÖ 600 ---> 650 ---> 700P --- > 755P. Smart phones are an essential part of business today and as a business owner I rely heavily on my smart phone. In factÖ I consider it my lifeline.

I love Verizon and I must say that the customer service is exceptional but there's just one thing that I really don't understand. Why Verizon is always the last to release the most advance smart phone in the market. This was the case for the 600, 650, 700P, 755P. It simply doesn't make sense.

Palm has announced the Palm Pre. This phone blows all other smart phones out of the water. Guess whoís the first to release it? Verizon? Absolutely not! Yes, you guessed it. Itís your biggest competitor, Sprint. They always seemed to be one step ahead!

This is inexcusable to say the least! Donít your customers deserve better? What about your loyal customers? I'm a voice speaking for hundreds of thousands. I know this because I read all the Treo forums.

Verizon customers are frustrated and tired of having to wait months before the latest phones are released. The 755P took over 6 months to come out after Sprint released it. This new phone will cause you to loose customers and loose them fast. The Palm Pre will change the smart phone industry for years to come. I donít understand how the biggest cell phone company in the world is not part of such a technology paradigm shift.

We want the Pre and we want the Pre now! This is one of the most advanced smart phones to date. This new technology will change the way smart phones companies design smart phones.

Eagerly waiting your reply

Andrew ---
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAGeek View Post
    I sent the CEO an email. See below....

Hello Lowell,

My name is Andrew Gonzales and Iím just one voice in your vast sea of customers.

Please allow me to share my thoughts with you...

I have been with your firm for over 10 years now. Verizon has the best coverage in terms of cell access over any other Network back then and still to date.

I'm an avid smart phone user and for the past 5 years I have used many Treo models. Here's the phone I have usedÖ 600 ---> 650 ---> 700P --- > 755P. Smart phones are an essential part of business today and as a business owner I rely heavily on my smart phone. In factÖ I consider it my lifeline.

I love Verizon and I must say that the customer service is exceptional but there's just one thing that I really don't understand. Why Verizon is always the last to release the most advance smart phone in the market. This was the case for the 600, 650, 700P, 755P. It simply doesn't make sense.

Palm has announced the Palm Pre. This phone blows all other smart phones out of the water. Guess whoís the first to release it? Verizon? Absolutely not! Yes, you guessed it. Itís your biggest competitor, Sprint. They always seemed to be one step ahead!

This is inexcusable to say the least! Donít your customers deserve better? What about your loyal customers? I'm a voice speaking for hundreds of thousands. I know this because I read all the Treo forums.

Verizon customers are frustrated and tired of having to wait months before the latest phones are released. The 755P took over 6 months to come out after Sprint released it. This new phone will cause you to loose customers and loose them fast. The Palm Pre will change the smart phone industry for years to come. I donít understand how the biggest cell phone company in the world is not part of such a technology paradigm shift.

We want the Pre and we want the Pre now! This is one of the most advanced smart phones to date. This new technology will change the way smart phones companies design smart phones.

Eagerly waiting your reply

Andrew ---
    I just have 2 general comments for you. 1) if you're going to send the CEO an e-mail, please at least spell "lose" right. Loose is a whole different word associated sometimes with a female that.. well, nevermind. 2) Your argument was clear but unfortunately it can be debated whether Verizon truly is last to get the latest and greatest smartphones. Apple got iphone, Tmobile got G1, and Verizon got the BB storm. Sure the Storm was a flop, but they banked on it unfortunately for them it didn't turn out well. If the storm turned out to be a huge hit, then Verizon customers would be ecstatic about how the storm is exclusive to them. Sprint on the other hand got some awesome phones years ago and from my perspective hasn't gotten a decent smartphone for quite some time. I think Palm made a wise decision to go with Sprint but I hope that the exclusive will be short lived so developers on every service will develop apps for it.
    WOW, you went for the top. I only sent my email to head of Sales. I did get an response asking for my cell number and they said they will contact me. Watch now they are going to mess with me, troublemaker Will post back with update.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    WOW, you went for the top. I only sent my email to head of Sales. I did get an response asking for my cell number and they said they will contact me. Watch now they are going to mess with me, troublemaker Will post back with update.
    I also went for the top, didn't know who else to email.

Last friday I also emailed somebody through the regular 'Contact Us' on Verizon's website and I got an automated response saying somebody would reply within 24 hours. Forward to this tuesday 1/27 I get a call from an Unknown # and was left a message. It was a lady from Verizon who said that they don't anything about this phone and that I should visit their website for the most up to date information. I was expecting an email or something but not a phone call. I found it weird at first but maybe they're just afraid of losing me and my second line.

Let us know what they say miles4000.
    While what u wrote is true. There was one interview that was done with Roger as to why they picked Sprint. His response was that Att has Iphone, Vzw has Storm, Now Sprint has Pre. Also, Lets not forget that many different units are in development and with sales of the Pre will determine the amount of leverage Palm develops with each carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    The Storm (and the G1) are a bit different from the typical smartphone arrangement since the carriers (Vodafone in the case of the Storm, and T-Mobile in the case of the G1) had a wide input in the design and manufacturing of the device. (In fact, T-Mobile, not Google or HTC owns the rights to the name "G1", I believe) There's no reason at this time to believe Sprint played a similar role with the Pre.

Of course, there's still the iPhone example, but there's the counter-example of every past Palm smartphone. Though I have to admit I wouldn't be that surprised if Palm went the iPhone-style route with regards to the Pre and Sprint, I don't expect it either.
    Does anyone actually have any details on how long the exclusive deal with sprint is? I don't know whether to think that palm is doing the same thing they always have, short exclusives, and then releasing with other carriers. But they might be going the way of the iPhone.

I hope they continue with their previous methods (shorter exclusives). It may actually be better for us Verizon customers. Think of the 755 and the centro, I believe both had a 6 month exclusive on sprint, and those suckers on sprint (just kidding ) get to deal with all of the problems and they are fixed, usually before the phone is released on VZW. I hope the pre doesn't have any of the problems, but that may not happen, and i like that someone else can deal with them and find a solution before I'm hit by them

My prediction is a May or June launch (still first half on '09) and a December launch on VZW. I don't know if it will happen before or after the VZW launch but palm will announce another device, a GSM only for American networks.

I would love a 2/15 launch, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Verizon is not going to take the Pre because they only want high end phones that have both cdma and gsm radios like the Storm, but maybe they'll make an exception if the Pre sells really well with Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Modular View Post
    Verizon is not going to take the Pre because they only want high end phones that have both cdma and gsm radios like the Storm, but maybe they'll make an exception if the Pre sells really well with Sprint.
    Eh? Verizon has three world phones on their entire lineup, the BlackBerry 8830, the BlackBerry Storm 9030, and the Motorola MOTO ZXc. (And the latter isn't even a smartphone) Hardly evidence that they would refuse the carry any non-worldphone.
    Palm T|X and Palm Centro (VZW)
    Quote Originally Posted by Modular View Post
    to your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraatc17 View Post
    Does anyone actually have any details on how long the exclusive deal with sprint is? I don't know whether to think that palm is doing the same thing they always have, short exclusives, and then releasing with other carriers. But they might be going the way of the iPhone.

I hope they continue with their previous methods (shorter exclusives). It may actually be better for us Verizon customers. Think of the 755 and the centro, I believe both had a 6 month exclusive on sprint, and those suckers on sprint (just kidding ) get to deal with all of the problems and they are fixed, usually before the phone is released on VZW. I hope the pre doesn't have any of the problems, but that may not happen, and i like that someone else can deal with them and find a solution before I'm hit by them

My prediction is a May or June launch (still first half on '09) and a December launch on VZW. I don't know if it will happen before or after the VZW launch but palm will announce another device, a GSM only for American networks.

I would love a 2/15 launch, but I'm not holding my breath.
    No details just speculation. I'm hoping for a 3 month excluisivity. Palm needs this on every network to get out of the slump.

This is from Dieter's Palm Pre questions answered part 3:

66. From unfrostedpoptart

Voice dial/control like the Centro and other current phones (not including the iPhone!) so it's usable in a car?

Audio formats didn't list FLAC! They should really support this. Can it be added by 3rd party? I'm using CorePlayer for this now.

Car cradle with wireless charging would be great!

How long is Sprint exclusive (i.e - when can I get it on Verizon)?

Thanks!!

Unclear if there will be voice dialing, but there may not be at launch as they didn't show it off.

WRT FLAC - I suppose it ought, but I'm guessing Palm didn't make it a priority because it's such a little-used standard (ducks).

I don't see any reason in principle that a Touchstone-for-the-car couldn't be created. Heck, I'd love to build one into my dashboard!

We have no idea on the length of the Sprint exclusive, but these things typically come in 3 month increments -- 3, 6, 9, 12. My money is on 6, but that's just a guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post

Like i said in a post a while ago... I Hope Palm doesn't Blackberry Storm this Phone. Release it when it's ready!!
    Palm was smart enough to hire a brilliant development team (apple folks lol) to design the Pre. Blackberry's Storm design was great in concept - poor in execution, poor design team. I think the kind of philosophies that Jon Rubinstein and his team brought over from Apple WILL make the Pre a success. 2 years of R&D will show when it gets released. From what it looks like, the Storm was just a reactionary product to the iPhone - no revolutionary new OS or concepts. The project timeline to develop and test it was just as rushed as it's release. The Pre on the other hand is 2 years of work ready for revealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize View Post
    Thanks for replies, folks. Sorry this is such a lame thread. But, I'm trying to make a quick decision tomorrow.

Unfortunately for me, Sprint as a carrier is not an option.

My corporate guys are making changes to my coverage. I can choose ATT or Verizon tomorrow. Ultimately, I want the Pre.

Is it more likely that there would be a GSM unlocked version or Verizon version first?
    Good thing you went with AT&T, that way you can get yourself an iPhone...after all, the Pre is going to be marketed as a iPhone killer, this way you get the phone that the phone you wanted to get was supposed to kill...if that makes any sense. Besides, you know that Apple will come out with a new iPhone again this year, so, since you can't get Sprint, and since I doubt AT&T will carry the Pre, you probably did the right thing.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast