1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

I recall it being mentioned on this forum several times that Palm will quietly keep selling Garnet devices as long as a market for them continues. For a while the webpages at Palm.com for Tunsgten TX and E2 were hard to find, but were findable. Now I can't find them at all. For that matter, the only Palm OS smartphones (non-WinMo) are Pre and Centro. Where did all the other stuff go? And specifically, where did Tungsten PDA stuff go?

-- Josh
    The PDAs disappeared a few days before the announcement, when Palm updated their site. They're still around on the international pages that still have the old design, though...
    Palm T|X and Palm Centro (VZW)
    It would make sense that because they have a new OS they would start rolling out their PDAs to use the same OS.
    I doubt seriously you'll see a WebOS PDA sans phone. The whole concept of the WebOS is built around being always connected, and only a cellular radio provides that.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by epz3 View Post
    It would make sense that because they have a new OS they would start rolling out their PDAs to use the same OS.
    Palm are finished with PDAs they explicitly mentioned it during the analyst call from the last quarter. They still sell the current line because the development costs are paid and it's pure gravy for them at this point. I saw a figure somewhere else that they sold 110,000 PDAs last year and that was 50% down on the previous year.

I would think that if as long as Pre is successful the PDA line is going to get the chop in the middle of the year and the Centro can't last much longer - old tech, old OS.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Well, I'd assume that the PDA production has already ceased and they are just selling through the existing inventory in the channel. I figure the PDAs will be officially EOL'd within 3-5 months, tops. In all honesty, I wouldn't be TOO surprised to see a final small sales surge this spring, as all of the Palm OS faithful snag a final PDA or Centro to see them through for a bit longer, especially if no news emerges from Palm or Styletap on any sort of Garnet emulation for WebOS.

The Centro should stick around a bit longer than the PDAs, though if the carriers lose interest in supporting (Verizon apparently already has) an oddball, dead OS, it may come surprisingly soon. But the Centro will maybe last through the end of the summer or the back to school shopping season. I may stick around longest on Sprint. seeing as how they're the exclusive outlet for the 128mb Centro refresh and are traditionally the most Palm-friendly carrier out there.

Palm will likely go into this fall carrying only the CDMA & GSM Treo Pros and the CDMA & GSM Pre.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    A WebOS Foleo class of device will be the PDA replacement.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    A WebOS Foleo class of device will be the PDA replacement.
    Agreed, though I doubt we'll see it until, oh, fall 2010 or so. It'll have to differentiate itself better from the slew of cookie-cutter (but very capable) Linux & Windows netbooks out on the market now.

I would imagine Palm will shoot for something along the lines of either an enlarged Nokia N-series Internet Tablet or a downsized version of the original Fooleo with a much greater emphasis on connectivity and multimedia.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX