1.    #1  
    I dont know any group of people more cautious and nervous than investors and if the palm stock price is any indication there is not much concern that much will come of Apples theats against the Pre (or other Smartphones since they havent specifically said Palm or Pre).

Last I checked the stock is at 7.65 which is AMAZING. After dropping almost $1 a share yesterday AM after everyone was talking about Apples patents the stock has come back and is even higher than it was pre-apple patents.

The reality is if anyone had an inkling that this would ever go to court and Palm didnt have a more than likely chance of no fight at all then the stock would be dropping like a rock.

bank on it! the Pre will launch on schedule (whenver the heck that is). If it indeed is 2/15 and early sales are strong then I can easily see the stock over $10 a share.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    good point... they say the market is a better prediction of the future than any of the analysts
    Interesting info and take on things.

I dont doubt that Palm would survive. I think Apple will wait for the approval of other patents before they really try to lock Palm down. By then, Palm will (hopefully) have launched the Pre, which can give them some added capital to fight.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    If Apple is smart, they'll wait until after the Pre to sue. Palm probably doesn't have a pot to **** in right now for Apple to take away
  5.    #5  
    mach X, the biggest reason for Apple to sue at all would be to prevent the release of the Pre.
    I wouldn't read too much into this either way really. Because there area alot of people out there that are going to call apple's bluff and wait for the pre to do whatever it does and collect thier ransom.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I seriously doubt they're afraid of the Pre.

the majority of people hate sprint and won't touch a phone on Sprint

besides they don't have apple's fanboys behind them so it's not likely to initially even touch the iphone, regardless of how much the Pre pisses on the it
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    I seriously doubt they're afraid of the Pre.

the majority of people hate sprint and won't touch a phone on Sprint

besides they don't have apple's fanboys behind them so it's not likely to initially even touch the iphone, regardless of how much the Pre pisses on the it
    Mach, Only the launch is exclusive to Sprint. The Pre might be offered by ALL carriers (althought I wouldnt expect ATT would risk their relationship with Apple but who knows). This is one of the main reasons the Pre is a contender.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    AT&T: In cahoots with Apple in a major way and the remainder of their smartphone focus is taken up with the Bold etc. They're not gonna risk upsetting Apple, so no Pre for them.

Verizon: They've passed entirely on the 800w and the CDMA Treo Pro and been late with every other Palm device EVER (with the exception of the 700w & 700p, and both of those were widely panned by everyone here). I think they are looking to focus on feature-laden dumbphones like the Dare(cheaper/easier to support) alongside their usual BB and WinMob efforts. So they're probably the best bet to get a Pre but I am NOT counting on it.

Alltel: Being assimilated by VZW as we speak, so they're out too.

T-Mobile: Haven't carried a Palm device since the Treo 600. The Centro would've been perfect for them (colorful, cheap, popular, small) but they pased on it. I don't see anything changing with them even if the Pre ends up as a smashing success.

That said, I am certain Rogers or Bell in Canada will end up with the Pre as will the usual overseas carriers. But for the US, I really forsee only Sprint carrying it...at least until WebOS has eastablished a strong market presence.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX