Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This interview with Roger McNamee just got posted on precentral. If you look closely at the 1:37 mark of the video, it appears that the back of the Pre has a matte finish. It might even be the "soft-touch" paint from the 680 and 755!

That should make holding the Pre much nicer than if it were glossy all over.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I thought I read somewhere that the regular back was glossy and the touchstone back was soft touch? Where in the world was that? I've read so much stuff.
    Sounds like it'd be the best of both worlds! But would it really look as classy as all matte or all gloss? In my mind it seems like it would look weird, but who knows!
  4.    #4  
    Well it looked nice in the video. remember, the iphone has differing finishes on the front and back. As for the touchstone battery cover comment, I believe nlowhor is correct as this detail is referenced by the PIC touchstone hands-on article.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that the regular back was glossy and the touchstone back was soft touch? Where in the world was that? I've read so much stuff.
    I also read that the stock Pre battery cover is glossy, and the battery cover you'll need to purchase to use with Touchstone is soft touch.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I'm not sure if I'd classify the Touchstone back as "soft touch", but its definately a matte finish. By the appearance, it might actually be metallic, since it has a magnetic quality to it.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams

Follow me on Twitter
    I kinda like that combo! I definitely want the soft-touch paint to get a better grip on it.

Um, Seidio...what about some soft-touch backs with different colors?! A two-tone Pre...not a bad proposal!
  8. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Here's the PIC article:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...n-impressions/

The back inductive cover units being shown at the demo stations only differed in that they sported a matte, soft-touch like exterior finish.

During the tail end of the Pre announcement on Thursday, Jon Rubinstein led into his opening remarks on the Touchstone with a few comments about being a fan of "ecosystems". After that tantalizing statement, one can only hope that Palm is moving swiftly to prepare an equally impressive line of software, services, and additional accessories to compliment the Pre.
    I hope this includes the portable charger idea I've mentioned before (one that charges a spare battery either via cable or on the Touchstone).
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Every Pre that I saw at CES & the one that I touched was slick, glossy black coating, fingerprints & all. The one Pre with the Touchstone back installed had a duller, more muted look to it that Ryan and I both agreed was a "soft-touch" rubberized coating like the older Treos and the 128mb Centro. Let me reiterate that we did NOT touch it or confirm this with a Palm rep. That's just how it LOOKED and it could easily be, as stated above, metallic or just a good quality matte plastic. But it certainly looked soft-touch (the lighting in the Palm lounge was atmospheric but otherwise absolutely terrible, as you can tell from many pics online).

The Pre spare battery charger they had on the displays there was nothing more than the 800w's spare battery charger which Palm has been selling for a while. I am sure it will be rebranded/repackaged and sold as a Pre-compatible accessory as well:
    http://tinyurl.com/cf4wpc

I saw no capability whatsoever to charge a spare battery in or on the Touchstone or the Pre. The Touchstone induction charging works only due to the presence of both the special Pre battery door AND the contacts built into the body of the Pre below the battery door.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post

The Pre spare battery charger they had on the displays there was nothing more than the 800w's spare battery charger which Palm has been selling for a while. I am sure it will be rebranded/repackaged and sold as a Pre-compatible accessory as well:
    http://tinyurl.com/cf4wpc
    60 friggin' dollars for a battery charger?! And I thought prices for Apple accessories were rediculous.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/accessories/dock.html

Attach this charging dock to your desk and watch how quickly it becomes home for your Palm® Pre™ phone. Simply place your Palm Pre on the Palm Touchstone, and magnets quickly align your phone in the correct position for charging. Charge while you’re checking your calendar, making a call, or watching videos in portrait or landscape mode.1

1 Requires Palm Pre back cover for Touchstone charging dock, sold separately. Within wireless coverage area only. Messaging, email, and web require data services at additional cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbad614 View Post
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/accessories/dock.html

Attach this charging dock to your desk and watch how quickly it becomes home for your Palm® Pre™ phone. Simply place your Palm Pre on the Palm Touchstone, and magnets quickly align your phone in the correct position for charging. Charge while you’re checking your calendar, making a call, or watching videos in portrait or landscape mode.1

1 Requires Palm Pre back cover for Touchstone charging dock, sold separately. Within wireless coverage area only. Messaging, email, and web require data services at additional cost.
    This is sad. I was hoping they would sell it in a kit. I guess times are rough...
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    60 friggin' dollars for a battery charger?! And I thought prices for Apple accessories were rediculous.
    An extra battery is also included.
    Quote Originally Posted by compneo View Post
    An extra battery is also included.
    well that doesn't help the 60 price point.. but it would be a nice Birthday present or something or maybe a "yay I got something new for my phone"
  15.    #15  
    as long as the cost isn't outrageous, I'm glad that the charging battery cover is separate. I will likely get 2 touchstones, but I need only 1 battery cover
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    For the Chosen (i.e. those that have laid flesh on a Pre), a question: for the battery cover corresponding to the Touchstone charger, can you tell us what material the Touchstone contact pad was like? That might give us some basis to further muse about the battery cover finishing.

Since Palm supposedly preoccupied themselves with design the most, if the Touchstone is plastic instead of rubber, it'd cause scratches on glossy plastic.

Then again, if the Touchstone has a rubber contact surface, that could mean anything for the battery cover...

However, the Touchstone ad copy did say "magnets quickly align your phone in the correct position" so rubber on rubber might seem less likely.

BTW, anybody seen this "alignment" working? Does the Pre actually spin around if placed at, say, 45 degrees?
    Quote Originally Posted by Leet Mongoose View Post
    well that doesn't help the 60 price point.. but it would be a nice Birthday present or something or maybe a "yay I got something new for my phone"

Actually, it doesnt change the price, but it does helps the price point. If you want a spare battery charger, you will obiously need an extra battery. If you dont have a spare, it says you from having to buy one. If you already have a spare, you can sell the new one.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...n-impressions/

I was actually allowed to have some hands-on time with the Touchstone, unlike just being able to rest a finger on the Pre itself. The Touchstone was surprisingly solid with a weight that nearly belies its size and simplicity. It appears to have a plastic housing with the suction cup underbody and a metal "core" insert section where the magnets are.

So the contact pad itself appeared to be textured plastic, to answer your question. But I honestly wasn't really paying that much attention to the pad itself (save the big Palm logo) as I was to the underside and the body of the "puck" itself. The center section, as you can see from some of the CES pics, definitely has a more textured & coarse feel to it than the rest of the unit. I assumed at CES that the reston for the different texture on the Pre's replacmeent battery cover was to both prevent scratches as well as making good contact to the Touchstone.

As far as alignment goes, I saw the Pre "dropped" onto the Touchstone in a totally vertical, totally horizontal, and horizontal with maybe a 5-10 degree angle to it. Every time it "snapped" right into perfect horizontal or vertical alignment, though I do think the Palm rep was taking care to ensure the Pre was being positioned properly. I assume that if you dropped the Pre on there at a 45 degree angle it would remain in that orientation.

But the Pre was rock solid stable on the Touchstone the entire time and the Touchstone was secure on the tabletop. In fact, I was stunned at how well it gripped the surface of the table.

Again, the Touchstone was perhaps the most innovative PDA/smartphone-related accessory I've ever seen. It's certainly Palm's best ever accessory release. Assuming they don't price it out of the impulse buy range of most consumers (which they are likely to do) Palm could have a very nice little hit on their hands with the Touchstone.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Hey Q,

Just wave your hand and give us all Pres

Or maybe your not the REAL Q.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    On this new video, @ about 2:15, you can see clearly the back finish for about 10 seconds or so... http://mobiledivide.com/2009/01/28/p...ces-09-part-2/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast