Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    8GB can hold thousands of songs, photos and even several hours of video, so what is it that people are doing that requires so much capacity on the phone that they're wanting it to act as a host to another memory card or stick? The only thing I can think of is to watch movies... but who really wants to watch more than the occasional movie on a screen this size?

The Pre is a many things, including a media player, but it's primary features start with it being a phone, and a PDA with a calendar, e-mail, sms/txt messaging, etc, other useful features such as GPS, camera, voice recorder, etc... the occasional game(s), slingshot, all the other Palm utilities we've come to love.

I can see where additional internal storage capacity would be nice, but this isn't a laptop... why some people are wanting it to be a USB host device is almost beyond me...
    For me... it's being able to do a hard reset (either by choice or due to a glitch) and restore everything without access to the cloud (and data services). 8 GB is actually plenty... the lack of backup is what is major for me.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    I have 1,200 mp3s which is 6 GB.
    Last edited by ray1b; 01/27/2009 at 07:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    8GB can hold thousands of songs, photos and even several hours of video, so what is it that people are doing that requires so much capacity on the phone that they're wanting it to act as a host to another memory card or stick? The only thing I can think of is to watch movies... but who really wants to watch more than the occasional movie on a screen this size?

The Pre is a many things, including a media player, but it's primary features start with it being a phone, and a PDA with a calendar, e-mail, sms/txt messaging, etc, other useful features such as GPS, camera, voice recorder, etc... the occasional game(s), slingshot, all the other Palm utilities we've come to love.

I can see where additional internal storage capacity would be nice, but this isn't a laptop... why some people are wanting it to be a USB host device is almost beyond me...
    Because people have different priorities than you, and have those features you mention in different orders of importance.

For me, it's Text/Messaging, then audiobooks and ebooks, then phone third or maybe even fourth or fifth. I have some books in the wonderful audible format to save space, while I have some book that take up a lot more space in mp3 format. And I'm not going to put partial books on my card.

And while I don't watch movies all that often on my phone, I also treat them like audiobooks. I've put movies on my phone that are very dialogue based (musicals, some comedies, Crimson Tide is the only drama movie on my phone, but it wonderful to listen to), that I listen to while driving or in line at the bank or on a road trip or whatever.

While I can make 8GB work for me, there's no doubt that I could put more on it if I had the space to do so, and for some people, that space is needed.

Edit: And oh yeah. Because it is obviously a step backwards from previous Palm phones, and a is one of the areas that the Pre very clearly does not match up to the iphone. It's one thing that very obviously sticks out.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 01/27/2009 at 07:37 PM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Because 8Gb is the base level already, and we are talking about a new phone.
    I've mentioned this in many other threads, but 8GB goes VERY quick! First of all, its of course not a true 8GB because of partitioning. That leaves you about 7.5GB. Then lets say the OS and standard apps take up a negligible amount of space. Then considering it has GPS, you may want to download/cache maps for a certain area, and that could take upwards of a half a gig or more. Music, well... personally I'd rather not switch out songs all the time, so 4GB would be minimum! Even that is a relatively small amount of songs, but we'll say that for arguments sake. So that leaves you maybe 3GB for all the apps, data, pictures, and possibly space for a movie or two max. For most people this might be enough, but lets say I'm on a plane and I want to watch a bunch of movies or TV shows, it would be really really nice to have that ability. It would also be nice to not to add and remove songs/video all the time. Most of all, I'm just tired of stressing about how much space I'm taking up on my phone. 8GB might be enough for many people, but its extremely disappointing for the rest of us.
    why the need for yet another thread on this topic? did you not read the three or four other threads that cover this topic that answered your questions ten times over.

And maybe you can fit 1000 songs in 8 gigs, but I can't. Not ripped at 256 or 320kbm. Not after putting on work related files which consists of pdf's and office files among other things.

If we were really focusing on just the primary functions you mention, we wouldn't really need the feature set of the Pre, now would we?

Maybe I should go re-rip all my music at crap quality so I can fit more of it on there. Don't think I should have to do that.

I also have a 250gb drive on my laptop with about 30 free gigabytes. I don't think myself or anyone else is asking for laptop like stirage and to make that leap from wanting 16 gigs or a card slot is ridiculous.

USB host- to back up all the files that don't get backed up by the cloud. There isn't separate memory for storage and OS. Lose one, you lose both. In the field you can essentially restore your PIM info, but what about all the files you have in storage on there? You're SOL until you get to a computer which could be the rest of the work day.

I'm already being repetitive. Try reading the other threads and hopefully it will sink in.
    I agree:
    Different users, different needs.

Marketability: 8gbs? That's impressive for a PALM - but PALM is in need of an image (when people ask about my ORANGE T680, they have no idea who or what is PALM? - damn shame too-)

I don't dedicate the time to sync vids/mp3s; i'd rather just DUMP my mp3s that I would possible want to listen to and go about my business.
    (So, I'll admit it is laziness).

-Though if there are a series of devices in the works... I know why 8gbs to start with...-
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Because people have different priorities than you, and have those features you mention in different orders of importance.

For me, it's Text/Messaging, then audiobooks and ebooks, then phone third or maybe even fourth or fifth. I have some books in the wonderful audible format to save space, while I have some book that take up a lot more space in mp3 format. And I'm not going to put partial books on my card.

Edit: And oh yeah. Because it is obviously a step backwards from previous Palm phones, and a is one of the areas that the Pre very clearly does not match up to the iphone. It's one thing that very obviously sticks out.

Ok, I can almost conceede to your edited comments, except not all designs for new products have to follow the footsteps of older products.

As far as priorities, if the phone is maybe 4th or 5th on someones list, then perhaps they're using the wrong device for their multi-media needs.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    why the need for yet another thread on this topic? did you not read the three or four other threads that cover this topic that answered your questions ten times over.

I'm already being repetitive. Try reading the other threads and hopefully it will sink in.
    Yes I have read many of them, thank you. Don't reply if the post annoys you.
    For me, I have been looking to converge. I want to hold a lot of media as well as data, apps, OS, etc. 8GB is limited in 2009. So far if I want to do that, I need the iPhone 16GB, the Nokia N96 or the Samsung Omnia 16GB. I have just about filled my 8GB items.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Sheesh... some people are getting sensitive...

All I'm saying is that the majority of the users of smart phones (not necessarily the tech savy users that frequent these boards) generally do not need that much capacity. In all my traveling, and in my fairly large circle of friends, co-workers & aquaintenances, I very rarely see someone watching movies on their PDA/iPhone. These Palm forums only represent a very small fraction of users, and from what I've seen it's a pretty small number here that actually require more than 8GB.

Don't forget, in my 1st post I did conceede that more than 8 would be nice.
    Becasue 8Gb is nothing . put songs, excel files, movies etc and your well pass 8GB fast . 8GB is small nowadays.

Everyone has different priorities. in a basic camera 8Gb is good but not a multimeida device.

Its ridiculous that is only has 8gb.

And you shouldnt say the majority of user dont use that. I dont know one person who thinks 8GB is enough so some might say the majority needs more than 8GB . again its not just you its everyone you have to consider.

ANd my biggest concern is backup or lack of with no card. your on a buisness trip and for whatever reason your phone resets and you lose all your data. With a card you just restore from the backup on the card BUT if you backup to the device , when you reset you will get the backup erased also. Thats a big issue.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 01/27/2009 at 09:41 PM.
    you're the one that created a thread to a question that's been asked and answered ten times over in multiple threads. What do you expect? There's a lot of tech savvy people out there that don't give a rat's patoot about treocentral or these types of forums, and it's far from a safe assumption that smartphone users outside of the forums are not tech savvy. There's also more forums than treocentral. Go to sprintusers, howardforums and many others. People don't always care about the phone itself, more so the tech. People that are used to converting videos for their mp3 player aren't necessarily going to come here for tech info about converting video for their treo. As I mentioned above or maybe in another thread, I've been on quite a few deal sites and have seen many microSD threads. There's always questions about "will this work in my treo, Q, HTC, Blackjack and so on and so on." Everyone there is buying cards for their phones. Outside of a few mp3 players (thank you Sandisk), a majority of the microSD cards are being bought for phones. There are more dumbphones being sold that people will watch videos on and listen to music. And they do it easier than can be done on the Treo/Centro. So going to the Pre might be a more viable option for them until they figure out their mSD cards are useless now. Their cheap $50 dumb phone had more expandability than a next generation, state of the art, game changing, company saving, precognitive, intuitive smartphone.

And do you really need to be tech savvy to want capacity? What if it's just some guy/girl that has a good ear and rips all their music in flac and wants to keep a fair amount of it on their new media rich Pre. I gigs doesn't get them much. Some guy that commutes via train every day and wants to watch tv shows he downloaded from some site. Having to transfer new content every day or every few days is a royal PITA when he can just fill up a card once every week or two with new content. He doesn't have to be the most tech savvy person to do that. And I know a few who do that. There's a lot of middle ground. Just because one isn't tech savvy doesn't mean they're a technological neophyte either.
    Sheesh... some people are getting sensitive...

All I'm saying is that the majority of the users of smart phones (not necessarily the tech savy users that frequent these boards) generally do not need that much capacity. In all my traveling, and in my fairly large circle of friends, co-workers & aquaintenances, I very rarely see someone watching movies on their PDA/iPhone. These Palm forums only represent a very small fraction of users, and from what I've seen it's a pretty small number here that actually require more than 8GB.

Don't forget, in my 1st post I did conceede that more than 8 would be nice.
    Last edited by crogs571; 01/27/2009 at 09:10 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Ok, I can almost conceede to your edited comments, except not all designs for new products have to follow the footsteps of older products.

As far as priorities, if the phone is maybe 4th or 5th on someones list, then perhaps they're using the wrong device for their multi-media needs.
    No they don't have to follow, but, like I said, it makes it obvious to talk about.

And judging how useful a person's device is for them, only by the rank of priority for the phone part of it is also too simplistic. For one, all ranked features aren't equal. For most people there is a cluster of very important items, then it drops off rapidly, with that line different for everyone, and with the features in the important cluster not equi distant from each other. Two, the sum is greater than the parts, beautifully illustrated by Synergy in the Pre. And three, features by themselves don't take into account other considerations like the convenience/inconvenience of carrying more than one device.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Having a removable SD provides: ability to move data around, change it on the fly and increase space whenever you want.
    The 8GB limitation is definitely a liability, more so for power users than average consumers. The complaints are just anti-hype from a vocal minority, much like the gripes about copy/paste on the iPhone -- a niche feature that most consumers don't care about. The stronger the hype, the stronger the anti-hype, which is why you don't hear anyone complaining that the Touch Diamond "only" has 4GB of fixed memory.

Put any complaint in the echo chamber of forum debates, and it gets blown entirely out of proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    The 8GB limitation is definitely a liability, more so for power users than average consumers. The complaints are just anti-hype from a vocal minority, much like the gripes about copy/paste on the iPhone -- a niche feature that most consumers don't care about. The stronger the hype, the stronger the anti-hype, which is why you don't hear anyone complaining that the Touch Diamond "only" has 4GB of fixed memory.

Put any complaint in the echo chamber of forum debates, and it gets blown entirely out of proportion.
    So was that a for or against?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    So was that a for or against?
    I'm getting the Pre on day one.

a) because lots of business users use more.
    b) because the one constant for decades has been that memory capacity needs are always underestimated.
    c) because the average used time for a smartphone is two years and in two years almost everyone's data storage needs increase substantially (usually by multiples)
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast