Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 252
  1. #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    ...
    Plus let's not forget that each additional track adds weight...
    Especially if it's heavy metal.
  2. #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I remember my 486 having a 500mb Hard Drive.
    We all talked like 'how would we ever need that much space'
    thank you. I remember when the first 10mb hddd rolled out and the same thing was said.

    There is not more repeated (incorrect) view than claims people wont need more memory more and more speed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    I don't horde rubbish so 8GB will be fine.
    Well that is the type of view of peopel who don;t see the reason for HDTV adn are ok with their analog sets etc. It is fine but it is not a good idea for a do or die device..

    And a smaller screen will be fine for some, but when you start alienating 1/2 or 1/4 of the market with low specs you loss the competitive edge you need.
  3. #143  
    How 'productive' is it to have weeks worth of media?
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

    It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
  4. #144  
    If you work in a field where you use media, then having a week's worth of media is quite productive.

    Some of you are missing the point here. Everyone has different needs, and just because you don't need more than 8GB of storage, doesn't mean that no one needs more than 8GB of storage.

    There have been some well thought out, well crafted responses to the question, and still a few people don't get it because their minds are made up. It's becoming an exercise in futility to explain to someone why you need/want more than 8GB. These same people are content to live in one bedroom apartments because - who needs a larger place to live? They drive their 10 year old Dodge because it gets them to work and back. And they are in the same job they had when they got out of high school because it pays the bills.

    Bleh.
  5. #145  
    I really think this debate is exausted.
  6. #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    How 'productive' is it to have weeks worth of media?
    As productive as it is to have more than 300 baud connection or more than 90k disk drives or more than 8bit computing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    These same people are content to live in one bedroom apartments because - who needs a larger place to live? They drive their 10 year old Dodge because it gets them to work and back. And they are in the same job they had when they got out of high school because it pays the bills.
    .
    You hit the nail on the head.

    People who are asking why it is "productive" to have 8 gb of "rubbish" are the same people who thought it was rubbish to have a color screen, "rubbish" to have wifi, "rubbish" to have the capabilities of smartphone in the first place.

    It is the same exact argument that has been made against every feature we now have in smartphones!
    Last edited by aero; 01/31/2009 at 12:40 PM.
  7. DavidJ's Avatar
    Posts
    249 Posts
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
       #147  
    As the OP of the thread, I have to say it has been very interesting to watch this thread develop and even take some detours.

    As I initially posted, I agree that more than 8GB would be nice, and especially when looking at it from the perspective that the Pre could/would be used as an individuals primary mass storage device.

    What I didn't see was a majority of users needing more capacity to specifically support the multi-media devices of the Pre, ie... MP3, Camera, Movies, etc... which to me is different than needing a mass storage device to transport files.

    I know we all belive Palm did their DD, analyzed the market needs, and agonizied over what they needed to do to be sucessful at launch with what I think is a revolutionary device. I'm sure later models will have more capacity as well as other features, but right now I'm more interested in Palm hitting the largest market segment they can with the most features they can provide at the price point the market will support.

    It's been a great discussion!

    Regards
    David
  8. #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    I know we all belive Palm did their DD, analyzed the market needs, and agonizied over what they neede
    David it was your yous of the term "Obsession" when really you are referring to more to typical business needs.

    People coming from a razr will be happy with 8gb and tha tis more Palm's target than the users here.

    I think what you are saying is, the device is more tuned to the "fat middle" and non power users. Perhaps 25% to 30% of current smartphone users will wait for the next model, or simply get a 16 gb palm, or whatever Palm will roll out in June.
  9. #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    You hit the nail on the head.

    People who are asking why it is "productive" to have 8 gb of "rubbish" are the same people who thought it was rubbish to have a color screen, "rubbish" to have wifi, "rubbish" to have the capabilities of smartphone in the first place.
    I disagree.
    I really don't care either way about the 8GB because I keep all needed media on a dedicated device anyway. Even if the Pre had an SD slot an dI could put a 64GB Chip in it - I wouldn't use it to transport my media (I am one of those mentioned above that transport media for work) But that's not my point.
    BUT For anyone to insult those of one opinion by saying those mean-spirited things, seems to me to be childish. Its almost like being in 5th grade or something.

    Can't we have a nice debate without insulting folks?
  10. DavidJ's Avatar
    Posts
    249 Posts
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
       #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    David it was your yous of the term "Obsession" when really you are referring to more to typical business needs.
    You're probably right, perhaps "Passionate" would of been a better adjective!
  11. #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    You hit the nail on the head.

    People who are asking why it is "productive" to have 8 gb of "rubbish" are the same people who thought it was rubbish to have a color screen, "rubbish" to have wifi, "rubbish" to have the capabilities of smartphone in the first place.

    It is the same exact argument that has been made against every feature we now have in smartphones!
    Don't be ridiculous. There is a big difference between storage capacity and other capabilities. Stop confusing yourself and stick to the specific point of discussion. My use of the word productive was done for a reason. A reason you have clearly failed to grasp and as such my initial question stands. How 'productive' is it to have weeks worth of media? We need to make a distinction between the storage requirements for productivity, daily use and hoarding. It is what this entire discussion boils down to. 8GB is more than enough for the vast majority of users (a generalisation I know). Would we like more? Of course we would. Do we really need more? Of course not. Being able to carry weeks worth of music and film is something people might like to do but it is ultimately pointless and an exercise in inefficiency. We would be having the same discussion regardless of the actual storage capacity because it is human nature to want more and, more importantly, be seen to have more. However there is no point in storing more than you need and storing just for the sake of storing. This is particularly true when you consider that people usually just listen or watch their favourites anyway. If you get bored simply go to the cloud. It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Last edited by Teso Dos Bichos; 01/31/2009 at 10:39 PM.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

    It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
  12. #152  
    Please speak for yourself. I personally DO need more. I have filled up my 8GB media players and am now looking for 16GB. It's NOT pointless for me to carry around a lot of media because I don't like to constantly keep syncing unless I have bought or downloaded something new that I really want to take out with me. I do carry my favorites with me, but the GB of favorites is getting larger and larger since I've added quite a few new files and am always on the lookout for new music and video.

    Palm should at least offer a higher storage option.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/01/2009 at 08:15 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Please speak for yourself. I personally DO need more. I have filled up my 8GB media players and am now looking for 16GB. It's NOT pointless for me to carry around a lot of media because I don't like to constantly keep syncing unless I have bought or downloaded something new that I really want to take out with me. I do carry my favorites with me, but the GB of favorites is getting larger and larger since I've added quite a few new files and am always on the lookout for new music and video.

    Palm should at least offer a higher storage option.
    And for the people looking for 32GB?

    And the people with 160GB iPods looking for a phone?

    What about video people looking for a video out?

    What about people looking for VGA screens?

    Why not offer options for them?

    Simple answer: They cannot afford to with ONE shot at re-establishing themselves. There can only be one Pre for now. Palm can't afford to guess about people wanting 16GB or this or that, spend their very precious dollars making it, and then have inventory sitting around when it turns out to not be that popular or it's too expensive.

    And most importantly, if they can only have one Pre at the moment, it's gotta compete against the least expensive iPhone in price as well as features. 16GB of onboard memory would cripple Palm in the former, even if it gave them the edge in the latter.
  14. #154  
    Palm just called me and said they are convinced.

    Because of this Thread, they have decided to never build a Pre with more than 8gb.

    People who carry more than 8gb of info are just inefficient, and the pre isn't tageted at inefficient people.
  15. #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Simple answer: They cannot afford to with ONE shot at re-establishing themselves. There can only be one Pre for now. Palm can't afford to guess about people wanting 16GB or this or that, spend their very precious dollars making it ...clip...
    And most importantly, if they can only have one Pre at the moment, it's gotta compete against the least expensive iPhone in price as well as features. 16GB of onboard memory would cripple Palm in the former, even if it gave them the edge in the latter.
    Now I like this reasoning.

    Pre needs to be what it needs to be for Palm to get the ball rolling as easily and quickly as possible.

    I still would of like the expansion slot.

    oh well,
    maybe next time.

    I still think the Pre will do great.
  16. #156  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Please speak for yourself. I personally DO need more. I have filled up my 8GB media players and am now looking for 16GB. It's NOT pointless for me to carry around a lot of media because I don't like to constantly keep syncing unless I have bought or downloaded something new that I really want to take out with me. I do carry my favorites with me, but the GB of favorites is getting larger and larger since I've added quite a few new files and am always on the lookout for new music and video.
    +1.

    I'd also add that having lots of media with you isn't about listening to music for days on end (the 'who needs a weeks worth of music?' argument). It's about having more choice.
  17. #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    And for the people looking for 32GB?

    And the people with 160GB iPods looking for a phone?
    I think a 32GB Pre would be an excellent idea. 160GB is not viable without a microdrive so its not even worth discussing.

    Its a moot point for me anyway since I have no plans to switch to Sprint.
  18. #158  
    everybody simma down in here, don't want to close threads.
  19. #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I think a 32GB Pre would be an excellent idea.
    Yes, it would...in 2011.
  20. #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    everybody simma down in here, don't want to close threads.
    SIMMA
    DOWN
    NA!

    *snicker*

Posting Permissions