Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    So why do all you people come to the Pre forum to post how much you don't want it? lol

nothing better to do, no life, or just lying
    Two reasons that I can think of:

1) Though we don't plan to buy the Pre initially, some of us are hopeful that a later version will meet our requirement.

2) Many of us have been using PalmOS devices since the Palm III. We naturally have an interest in the most innovative product they have announced since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    As far as anecdotal evidence, what do yo think the head of Palm was saying when he said people wanted a changeable battery? He is taking own of the two major complaints, expandable memory and swappable battery, from the very sources that you say are just anecdotal.
    One of "two" major complaints? I thought the major iPhone complaints were:

1) No cut and paste
    2) No keyboard
    3) No MMS
    4) No stereo bluetooth
    5) No swappable battery
    6) No Flash
    7) No turn-by-turn GPS
    8) No video recording
    etc., etc., etc.

That Palm "addressed" one rather easy one that they have ALWAYS HAD in their devices anyway means nothing.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Two reasons that I can think of:

2) Many of us have been using PalmOS devices since the Palm III. We naturally have an interest in the most innovative product they have announced since then.
    Or longer----since the original Pilot....or even since the old Zoomer days!
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    One of "two" major complaints? I thought the major iPhone complaints were:

1) No cut and paste
    2) No keyboard
    3) No MMS
    4) No stereo bluetooth
    5) No swappable battery
    6) No Flash
    7) No turn-by-turn GPS
    8) No video recording
    etc., etc., etc.

That Palm "addressed" one rather easy one that they have ALWAYS HAD in their devices anyway means nothing.
    Many of those seem very minor to me. 1, 2 & 5 definitely are major. You missed one other major issue with the iPhone, its the only phone AT&T will not unlock upon request which makes it just as inconvenient as the Pre if you want to use your Smart phone in other countries without paying absurd roaming charges.
    The Omnia is "just" another Windows Media device? It's full touchscreen with no click wheel at the bottom. How many WM devices have that? 8GB onboard storage. How many WM devices have that? 5 megapixel camera. How many WM devices have that? TouchWiz UI on top. How many WM devices have that?

And you say you're converged, but again, you're making tradeoffs. There's no media player on WM devices that can stand up to dedicated media players like iPhone for ease of use. The screen resolution is 400X200, which makes movies and TV look crappy. Hell, pretty much anything on it looks crappy compared to modern resolutions. The camera's 5 megapixels barely standup to a dedicated 3MP camera with a good lens. It's just like the saying..."Jack of All Trades, Master of None."
    240x400 actually. And I have to disagree. Samsung makes pretty good phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    240x400 actually. And I have to disagree. Samsung makes pretty good phones.
    Oh, yeah...they're on a tear lately. The Glyde...The Instinct...real world beaters there.
    Try looking at the GSM line-up. European and Asian companies fail at CDMA phones because that's not their main customer base. When they release GSM phones, they rock!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    In all fairness, they did make the Rant, and that's been a heater for Sprint.

But they have a mixture of good phones and clunkers. The problem is WAAAAAY too much quantity in touchscreen phones (Instinct, Omnia, Behold, Glyde, Eternity....really?) and not nearly enough quality.

Well, that...and slathering TouchWiz on top of Windows Mobile.
    Did you use Samsung phones to be able to say they have not enough quality? I have used several and that has never been my experience. Although others have said they drop calls.

I'm speaking strictly of their touchscreen phones, of which I have personally used the Glyde and Instinct. Both were horrid user experiences.
    Samsung made the best palm phone ever, the i500. Was the most solid feeling flip I ever owned. The i550 would've been a home run with text messaging, card slot and BT. If Sprint didn't drop the ball on the 550 I probably would've cared less about being on this site unless it broke and they replaced it with a Treo. Would never have willingly bought one.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I think I remember that phone. One of the very few Palm OS flip phones. Kyocera made another, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think I remember that phone. One of the very few Palm OS flip phones. Kyocera made another, I think.
    Yep - the 7135 - nice phone. Mine still works...if you can find an analog signal!

Palm is a handheld device company with a tiny fraction of the budget that has been in decline for years. They are partnered with the weakest national CDMA carrier in America, and have a comparatively tiny TV budget and NO retail presence.
    Not entirely true. Sprint is basically as big & strong as Verizon due to their agreements. MetroPCS is the weakest national CDMA carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Not entirely true. Sprint is basically as big & strong as Verizon due to their agreements.
    That's a pretty funny viewpoint. Even with their "partnership" with Verizon, Sprint is hemorrhaging customers like a severed femoral artery. So if Sprint's coverage is "big & strong" and their phones are "super hot," why are they failing so badly as a business? (HINT: Abysmal customer support, money-losing roaming agreements)
    Sprint big and strong as Verizon?

Why is it Verizon just acquired Alltel and Sprint is shedding assets, subscribers and employees?

Why is Verizon stock trading at $30 and Sprint's under $3 a share?

I mean, are you frickin' kidding me?
    Network coverage, people...I was talking about network coverage!

I understand the CS problems...I've been with them for almost 5 yrs now. But I wont pay an arm and a leg for Verizon's a la carte crap and stupid-smartphones!
    that was a pretty big flip. A shame kyo didn't follow up on it too. I owned the predecessor, the 6030 with the green backlit screen. Still have it along with my i500.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yep - the 7135 - nice phone. Mine still works...if you can find an analog signal!
    and I could care less about sprint's customer service and roaming agreements. I care what the dollar amount on the bill says and if I have good coverage where I go. Both of which have been as good as I've had with Verizon previously. And the dead zones in philly have been the same with both companies. And thankfully I haven't had any bad experiences with their customer support going on 4yrs now.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    That is not at all what he said though. he said it doesn't exist, it isn't being leaked and it isn't the basis for any decision by buyers.

We are speculating on later models precisely because there are clearly holes in the broadening of the pre's market as exemplified by leaving off expandable memory.

What will be a notch in the con column for many prospective buyers is the lack of something long wanted on the iphone boards, expandable storage.

The thing has to do better than Iphone. It has to hit the center of that market and the edges, and it has to compel out outclass iPhone iwhich has some huge externalities to the specs and os per se in its favor: monster brand, better reputation maker (check out BBB ratings), better reputation carrier, (much) deeper maker pockets, much deeper provider pockets, and entire family of products such as the ipod and mac book.

let's avoid tautologies without meaning. The very point is that no two companies, ever needed to get people to choose a device over the iphone than Sprint and Palm need buyers to pick the Pre over the ipod today.

As far as anecdotal evidence, what do yo think the head of Palm was saying when he said people wanted a changeable battery? He is taking own of the two major complaints, expandable memory and swappable battery, from the very sources that you say are just anecdotal.
    Thanks for the pick up. Ditto.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    8GB can hold thousands of songs, photos and even several hours of video, so what is it that people are doing that requires so much capacity on the phone
    Personally, storing music (mostly). I don't have a huge music library, currently 2034 songs at an average of 7.87 MB per song (total = 16 GB). I'd like to be able to carry all of that plus some podcasts, videos, apps, documents etc.

My feeling about this is that it's really nice if a phone can replace a dedicated media player so there's one less device to buy, one less device to carry, one less device to keep charged etc. Take a look at what's on the market now in terms of dedicated players (iPods, Zunes etc): lots of flash players at 8 and 16 GB, some at 32 GB; HD players at over a 100 GB. They're on the market for a reason - people want them and buy them (ok, not so much the Zune ). I don't hold out much hope for expansion, but I really hope the rumour of imminent 16 and 32 GB Pres is true.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast