Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    As far as priorities, if the phone is maybe 4th or 5th on someones list, then perhaps they're using the wrong device for their multi-media needs.
    If memory on a computing entertainment, multimedia device, which is what this is marketed as, ad what separates a premium spartphone from a cheap dumbphone is 10th or 12th on your list...
    It's not annoying, just sad that after reading through the other threads that you still can't comprehend the reasons people want the flexibility of an external memory slot more so than just more than 8gb of storage after reading all the other threads and posts on the topics to the point you needed to create yet another thread on the topic. Even worse when everything written here are pretty much the same reasons that were previously stated in those other threads. What do you not get at this point?

Yes I have read many of them, thank you. Don't reply if the post annoys you.
    So if the iphone is an older product, why is it following its footsteps. Spin it another way, it shouldn't follow older product's footsteps. It should create a new and better path, yet the Pre seems to do that in some areas and not in others. Create a better multimedia oriented device but don't allow it to shoot video. Take away expandable memory that's been pretty much a given on most smartphones out there and many dumbphones. Probably close to a safe assumption that more current phones out there have card slots than not. Completely eliminate any sort of computer syncing, yet another staple on pretty much all smartphones out there. No optional path. No way to even keep a standard desktop sync unless you're willing to pay money be it switching to Outlook and paying for Exchange. Exchange, an ongoing expense for something you used to be able to do for free. Or you have to settle for the complete cloud experience by switching to an internet based PIM which in general are not as advanced, not as intuitive and not always accessible (ie. no internet or wifi)

except not all designs for new products have to follow the footsteps of older products.
    And gameboy, why even mention the Touch Diamond when the Pro is out as well. HTC almost has as many models as Asus has netbooks which means you have options. And the release of the Diamond and Pro are not that far apart. I highly doubt you'll see a 2nd version of a Pre before mid year that incorporates major functional changes.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Becasue 8Gb is nothing . put songs, excel files, movies etc and your well pass 8GB fast . 8GB is small nowadays.

Everyone has different priorities. in a basic camera 8Gb is good but not a multimeida device.

Its ridiculous that is only has 8gb.

And you shouldnt say the majority of user dont use that. I dont know one person who thinks 8GB is enough so some might say the majority needs more than 8GB . again its not just you its everyone you have to consider.

ANd my biggest concern is backup or lack of with no card. your on a buisness trip and for whatever reason your phone resets and you lose all your data. With a card you just restore from the backup on the card BUT if you backup to the device , when you reset you will get the backup erased also. Thats a big issue.
    This is another concern of mine since there's no PC backup guaranteed yet. Hopefully they'll rethink that one.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    The 8GB limitation is definitely a liability, more so for power users than average consumers. The complaints are just anti-hype from a vocal minority, much like the gripes about copy/paste on the iPhone -- a niche feature that most consumers don't care about. The stronger the hype, the stronger the anti-hype, which is why you don't hear anyone complaining that the Touch Diamond "only" has 4GB of fixed memory.

Put any complaint in the echo chamber of forum debates, and it gets blown entirely out of proportion.
    Copy and paste isn't a niche feature. Even dumbphones have it. It's also a necessity for me since I email and text a lot. Even a draft or template save feature on the iPhone would help.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    i have a kingston 16gb sdhc card in my treo 650.

my audio folder is 8.75gb.
    my video folder is 2.93gb.
    my dcim folder is 38mb.

so i am a little disappointed at the 8gb of storage on the pre. as has been mentioned before, i also like having a device that converges many technologies. i like to think of my treo 650 as a mini laptop seeing as it can do a lot of things a pc can do, but regardless.. i'm as excited about palm's new-newness as any of the rest of you and will be getting a pre as soon as palm puts em out the door, as will many of us all

if palm does decide to go the iphone route and release a pre v2.0 with 16 or 32gb of storage a little later down the road, it will be pretty frustrating! but admittedly i'll probably upgrade and sell the 8gb one.

anyway doesn't the pre have a mini usb port? couldn't i just stick a 32gb flash drive in it or something?

lastly, where's perry?? this is the device he's been waiting for, but i can't recall seeing him around recently!
    Quote Originally Posted by bry4n View Post
    anyway doesn't the pre have a mini usb port? couldn't i just stick a 32gb flash drive in it or something?

lastly, where's perry?? this is the device he's been waiting for, but i can't recall seeing him around recently!
    As far as we know it is not set up to take advantage of the USB host capabilities of it's CPU. ie can only be used as a USB drive itself.

Last contact from Perry was the sale of his Palm devices. (Not quite patient enough.)

He's gtwo these days. Here's an explanation. (interestingly edited on 4th Jan 2009, so he's been lurking)
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Putting the "different needs for different people" argument aside (which I totally agree with), has anyone mentioned that it is probably Palm's own doing that folks are dependent on SD cards? For various reasons, not having an SD cad became too much of an issue with each iteration of the PalmOS Treo devices, so folks had to get the cards. And as they grew in capacity, became cheaper, and more devs started taking for granted that they are needed, the Treo community grew *way* less frustrated by the tiny amount of memory included in the devices, and *way* more happy with the flexibility SD cards brought. Then poof, it's gone.

No big deal for me - 8gig is plenty, and I actually think the lack of expansion is to keep their applications happy by not having to deal with dynamic discovery of changed data, and I can live with that. But, I do understand why all the questions. Change is hard, and being forced is worse.
    Bok
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Copy and paste isn't a niche feature. Even dumbphones have it. It's also a necessity for me since I email and text a lot. Even a draft or template save feature on the iPhone would help.
    It's a necessity for me as well. That and the lack of a serious native PIM are the main reasons why I refuse to get an iPhone, even if it came in a 64GB version or had a memory card slot. My top priority with a smartphone is productivity, not entertainment.

But that's an entirely separate discussion from whether or not C&P is a niche feature. Only power users like you and me care about it. A vocal minority is still a minority.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    the overall 8gb capacity is enough for me. i carry some music, podcasts & photos with me. i don't need entire seasons of tv shows or multiple movies. i would definitely prefer an SD slot mainly for complete backups, but it's not necessarily a deal-breaker. we'll see how i feel when this thing is actually available.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    8GB can hold thousands of songs, photos and even several hours of video, so what is it that people are doing that requires so much capacity on the phone that they're wanting it to act as a host to another memory card or stick? The only thing I can think of is to watch movies... but who really wants to watch more than the occasional movie on a screen this size?

The Pre is a many things, including a media player, but it's primary features start with it being a phone, and a PDA with a calendar, e-mail, sms/txt messaging, etc,
    My Centro is already does those things you mention quite well. Its not so hot as a media player though so I need to carry an iPod. My iPod Nano is an 8GB model and that is just not big enough for my music collection. If the Pre is not adequate as a media player, I might as well keep my Centro and buy a 32GB iPod touch.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Because they're whiny, nerds who have nothing better to do than obsess over the smallest technical specs.

If they don't like 8 GB, good. When they're all sold out one less person in front of me.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/02/2009 at 11:43 PM.
    Again the question needs to be asked... would a card slot or more memory or both STOP you from buying the phone?

Probably not but the LACK of "enough space" (subjective by nature) and or a card slot might stop enough people to justify the addition of either or both.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    What makes the Pre a deal-breaker for me is the combination of the following 4 concerns:

1. No microSDHC slot

2. Limited fixed 8gb internally

3. No Verizon availability

4. Weak battery capacity

Will I switch to Sprint to get the Pre in its current form? Absolutely not.

Would I switch to Sprint if the Pre had a microSDHC slot + 8gb internally? No

Would I buy a Pre if it was on Verizon with 8gb internally and no SD slot? Possibly but I'd have to see what the pricing was and how the initial reviews go

Would I buy a Pre if it was on Verizon and had an SD slot and a bigger battery? *Probably* but stll not 100% guaranteed. I'd have to fondle one thorough and see how the initial reviews look.

Is the lack of Garnet compatibility a deal-breaker for me? Not at all. I'm much more concerned with getting 13 years of Palm OS PIM imported into WebOS safely, quickly, and with no corruption or messed-up/truncated fields etc.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Well an opposing question is, will a larger, or more expensive, phone sell less phones? And by how much?

Since this phone will obviously be compared to the iphone more so than any other phone, look and cost may have a bigger impact on sales of it more so than a lack of card slot which the iphone also doesn't have.. (although having 16GB of memory instead of 8GB would make more sense with this also line of reasoning, but cost may have been the factor there... or multiple models sold soon after like other posts suggest)
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    Because they're whiny, wanking nerds who have nothing better to do than obsess over the smallest technical specs.
    If they don't like 8 GB, good. When they're all sold out one less person in front of me.
    The idea that the Pre will "sell out" except in in an intentional marketing ploy is a stretch.

As far a whining, that is a silly flame. You can bet that the development team at Palm argued this over for the same reasons. The marketers aiming at the fat middle average joe won.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    As far a whining, that is a silly flame. You can bet that the development team at Palm argued this over for the same reasons. The marketers aiming at the fat middle average joe won.
    If Palm doesn't capture a significant share of "the middle," they are dead, dead, dead. Their flagship device HAD to be a mainstream product. Power users will likely be catered to down the line with Treo Pro-esque models rocking the same WebOS, just as there will be a Centro 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Again the question needs to be asked... would a card slot or more memory or both STOP you from buying the phone?

Probably not but the LACK of "enough space" (subjective by nature) and or a card slot might stop enough people to justify the addition of either or both.
    Actually, you can flip it and get the same results.

Would a Pre with 8GB of onboard storage AND a MicroSD slot that was bigger turn people off due to the obesity of the device? Probably.

Would a Pre with a MicroSD slot and very little onboard storage that was the same size turn people off because they're not excited at having to buy a MicroSD card to really enjoy the multimedia functionality? Probably.

There are a lot of alternative scenarios that would "probably" turn off some potential buyers. But one thing which is certain is that the market leading device by far (the iPhone) has 8GB of onboard storage (the 8GB 3G is the best selling model) and that the addition of expandable storage hasn't helped A SINGLE competitor gain an edge over the iPhone.

Considering all of those factors, is it any wonder why Palm wisely went with the configuration they did with the Pre? No, but it is a wonder why people here have deluded themselves into thinking that Palm aligning their offering with the #1 product is "moving backwards."

All of this talk of how 8GB isn't enough or is outdated for 2009 or how "everybody has microSD cards now" or whatever have you just melts away in the face of raw sales data that shows that 8GB of onboard storage is the perfect memory/price point these days for the best selling smartphone. Are some power users used to swapping cards and filling them up with apps and media? Sure. And they should keep buying Treos, Blackberries, G1s, and Windows Mobile devices. The vast majority of the public clearly cares little to nothing about that, hence those devices individually selling what a fraction of the iPhone does.

Also, the understanding of data here seems wonky. If your Pre "crashes", your data won't crash with it unless there is a serious physical/mechanical problem, so you won't have to back up 8GB "over the cloud" even if you fill your device up. Just restore the OS, and the files are still there. As for the apps...clearly WebOS is an internet-oriented OS, and so the apps will be as well. You're not going to be storing a bunch of them on a MicroSD card, even if the slot was there. You'll back them up over the cloud, and it's likely that raw storage itself is heading in that direction too. You'll probably have a multi-GB account online with some service or another so you can swap movies and music out on the fly if you absolutely must.

And for the record, movies sized for the Pre screen (or the iPhone screen) go for about 1-1.5GB. A one-hour TV show is half that. So you can take a Pre on a plane with 4 hours of video (A movie and 2-4 episodes of a TV show), hours and hours of music, and have room for apps and files while still coming in under the 7.5GB or so left over after the OS. You need much more than that at any one time? Then you need a dedicated personal media player or laptop...not a Pre or iPhone.

But I'm glad for selfish reasons that this is pissing so many off here: They won't be snapping up Pre phones on launch day, so I'll have an even better shot at getting one.
    The reason the 8GB 3G iPhone sells more is the $199 price, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The reason the 8GB 3G iPhone sells more is the $199 price, plain and simple.
    It was the best selling model when the regular iPhone launched for hundreds more as well (Remember how quickly Apple discontinued the 4GB model?).
    Dude put the crack pipe down... (I joke)

An 8GB account? Your theories have so many holes in it.

1) who says the unit has to be bigger to house a card? Im quite sure once we get our hands on one, we will see there is plenty of room for a card slot.

2)have you ever tried to download 8GB worth of data? Over a highspeed connection it would take hours, over EVDO? at least a day.

3)this "syncing to the cloud"... using the situation where one has to do a hard reset, whos to say that that person would have a data connection and or access to their PC?

4)swapping of info from your 8GB account... I shouldnt have to. Why do I have to change my behavior patterns for a new phone? I shouldnt have to change at all, they should know that every one of their Treo's and Centro has had a card slot and thats the behavior pattern we have become accustomed to. It is clear to me they are trying to use Apples model of upgrades and the flaw with that is they are totally over estimating their street cred. Apple has it, Palm... not so much. (Foleo anyone?)
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast