Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast
    So the cloud could offer a real solution. Is it plausible to store purchased music in the cloud, and be able to load/unload it onto the phone intermittantly? Wouldn't there be some kind of DRM conflict here, or could there be a workaround.
    For some on here it clearly wasn't subjective. We just didn't know how to properly use our personal device until they told us. What were we thinking?

Seriously though...no it's not enough. Is it more than what we're used to on a Palm Device? For the most part, so it's a step in the right direction. 8gb is not accurate to begin with because it was listed as having closer to 7 that's user accessible. Then it's probably closer to 6gb if you do a lot of Office and PDF type stuff. I personally will have media on it that is work related so I'll probably have closer to 4gb of storage for music and vids which is half of what I have on my 8gb music only Sansa Clip.

I have an 80gb zune with my entire library on it. I have a 32gb Zen, 16gb Fuze and 8gb Clip. The Clip is music only and filled to the brim. The Zen is new and only about half filled but will have 32gb strictly for music while vids will go on an SD card. The Fuze is also filled. My smallest player that cost a whopping $49 has more storage space than the Pre because all 8gb are strictly for music and not shared with programs, work files and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Obviously this is subjective, but it depends if the Pre is a good media device or not.
    When we go out we do not bring the whole house with us, do we? And what's the use of sync if we just bring everything anyway? And if we lose our phone and all that 300 gig plus stuff then we lose everything. I don't think that's wise.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by crogs571; 05/27/2009 at 01:17 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    The user guide is specific in saying that the web browser supports streaming music.

Keep all your music on a remote server and just stream it all to your Pre.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    8 GB is enough for me. When we go out we do not bring the whole house with us, do we? And what's the use of sync if we just bring everything anyway? If we bring so much data and then we lose our phone all that 300 gig plus stuff will be lost then. I don't think that's wise.
    and as you churn through the battery while streaming... plus navigation of streaming music is not nearly as fast as if it's on board.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    8 GB is overkill for 95% of mobile phone users. Most folks don't feel the need to carry their entire music collection with them at all times. Those that do never listen to it all, so it's an obsessive-compulsive need, not a practical need. And those who watch movies on that tiny screen are just as nuts as the music packrats.
    call me nuts. I watch movies when stuck in a dr's waiting room. Watched from close enough, the screen is plenty clear to see details, on the Touch (480x320), the Storm, and presumably the Pre. Don't discount the fact that more and more people are using their phones for multimedia.
    No amount of memory will be enough for everyone, just as no amount of threads on this subject will be either.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    8 GB is enough for me. When we go out we do not bring the whole house with us, do we? And what's the use of sync if we just bring everything anyway? If we bring so much data and then we lose our phone all that 300 gig plus stuff will be lost then. I don't think that's wise.
    how did we go from 8GB to 300 gigs?? If I lost a phone, the music I'd copied to it would be the least of my troubles. all that music is backed up on numerous computers, backup drives, and CD's and DVD's. Now if my house burns down...but then again, if that were to happen, the music loss would be covered (presuming the original CD'S stashed in the garage are destroyed).
    because all those that think 8gb is enough assume if we want more we want to shove our entire hard drive in the card slot. There is no middle ground.

Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    how did we go from 8GB to 300 gigs?? If I lost a phone, the music I'd copied to it would be the least of my troubles. all that music is backed up on numerous computers, backup drives, and CD's and DVD's. Now if my house burns down...but then again, if that were to happen, the music loss would be covered (presuming the original CD'S stashed in the garage are destroyed).
    The Pre is not a media device it is a phone you do not need 5TB's on a phone. If it really bothers you remote into your main PC and access the files that way.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Not trying to be a jerk, but you're justifying it for them. The house example doesn't fit because that takes physical space and we're talking data. 8, 16 and 32GB doesn't make the phone any bigger so if given an option then nobody would CHOOSE less. The Pre may be the future in many aspects but in todays market then 8GB is last years spec.

As for "what if you lose it" questions. That's what the killswitch is for. Someone steals your Pre then just go to a computer and remotely wipe it.
    Palm should have only included 4-gig then to keep costs down. I mean, what the difference, I dont want "the whole house" with me.
    I am sure someone will develop an application that will allow you to keep files on a server at home, or maybe hosted, that will be available to the Pre. I am sure it can be invisible to the user. You just play it as if it were local and it will stream or DL and play. You could store tons of e-books, music, pictures and video files. Most would DL fast enough that you would hardly notice.

I do this to an extent with Orb and the web but it is not seamless, I have to play them from a web page.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    The Pre is not a media device it is a phone you do not need 5TB's on a phone. If it really bothers you remote into your main PC and access the files that way.
    Palm has a whole "Media" section in the Pre user guide. Makes me think that Palm thinks its a media device.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    That's what I'm trying to say buddy. I do not need to have so much gig in order to operate. I know it's crucial for others but really not for me. I do respect the opinions of those who want bigger memory capacity.
    Banger is yet another example of someone that thinks we want our whole media collection on our phone because 8gb isn't enough. That reasoning makes zero sense. Outside of the new OS and all that crap, the bigger screen and nicer interface lends itself to using it more for media than previous devices. Previous devices had card slots with capabilities up to 16 & 32gb (and 8 being the norm for awhile since the cards are dirt cheap). The low end iphone has been at 8gb for quite awhile and will most likely be cheaper in the near future. The iphone has also had a 16gb version for quite awhile now with rumors of 32gb. And there's more as others have pointed out in other threads. 8gb at this stage of the game is about is minimal.

And I thought the 3.5mm jack was a bit of a giveaway about it being a media device.
    That's what I'm trying to say buddy. I do not need to have so much gig in order to operate. I know it's crucial for others but really not for me. I do respect the opinions of those who want bigger memory capacity.
    For me, part of the allure of an expensive plan smartphone is it's multimedia capabilities. Having so little memory that I can't carry a decent amount of content, makes it less than ideal. It really should have had a replaceable media card, accessible from underneath the back cover, such as on a Storm. If Palm's sensibilities are offended at having a visible card slot, simply put the frickin think inside the phone. Swapping the card wouldn't take very long and I wouldn't need to swap more than once. I'd just replace the card with a 16GB version.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    I am sure someone will develop an application that will allow you to keep files on a server at home, or maybe hosted, that will be available to the Pre. I am sure it can be invisible to the user. You just play it as if it were local and it will stream or DL and play. You could store tons of e-books, music, pictures and video files. Most would DL fast enough that you would hardly notice.

I do this to an extent with Orb and the web but it is not seamless, I have to play them from a web page.

Can somebody please add up how many "I'm sure someone will develop an application for this"

or

"I'm sure an upgrade will handle that"
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Can somebody please add up how many "I'm sure someone will develop an application for this"

or

Someone could, but it couldn't possibly outnumber the times people said that about copy n paste, MMS, <insert missing feature>, etc in regard to the iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post

or

LOL! Right! I think we call that "assuming". and we all know what that means.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast