Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Obviously this is subjective, but it depends if the Pre is a good media device or not.

For me, since the Pre doesn't sync with iTunes (music/video/podcasts) then I'll probably be carrying an iPod still anyway so 8GB is enough for just apps. BUT, for a 2009 device then I think 8GB is outdated and a 16/32GB version will probably come within a few months resulting in a lot of pissed off early adopters.
    Boy, I hope Palm doesn't adopt this in their advertising............

"The Palm Pre, not quite good enough as a media player. Please carry an additional ipod."
    As long as they team up with a streaming music service like Napster, I'd be ok with 8 gigs. With no good streaming music, 8 gigs will not cut it.
    Yeah, its definitely the music and video inventory that has me concerned about the memory limitations. For ipod and Zune users, 8 GB is almost unacceptable at this point.

The ability to use this device for both purposes is important to me. I truly hate carrying multiple devices!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Great, another thread on this topic.

please, please - merge this into one of the other many many discussionon this.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    8 GB is overkill for 95% of mobile phone users. Most folks don't feel the need to carry their entire music collection with them at all times. Those that do never listen to it all, so it's an obsessive-compulsive need, not a practical need. And those who watch movies on that tiny screen are just as nuts as the music packrats.
    Great, another thread on this topic.
    So why do you guys click on the thread if its such an arduous task.

skip over it geniuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    As long as they team up with a streaming music service like Napster, I'd be ok with 8 gigs. With no good streaming music, 8 gigs will not cut it.
    There shouldn't have to be a sponsored streaming service like with iPhone. Treo can already play most internet radio stations. I listen to radioio.com on my Treo almost everyday and rarely listen to stored music. BTW, iphone won't play radioio.com.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    For all of you people who are on the fence about the 8 gig of storage on the phone: Please don't get the Pre! The last thing I want to do is have to churn through another 100 threads after launch about how the storage doesn't meet your needs.
    Not big enough for me, but I'll make it work. I have my iPhone maxed, but there is a lot of crap on it that I haven't listened to or watched in a long time, but I wanted it on there just incase.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    8 GB is overkill for 95% of mobile phone users. Most folks don't feel the need to carry their entire music collection with them at all times. Those that do never listen to it all, so it's an obsessive-compulsive need, not a practical need. And those who watch movies on that tiny screen are just as nuts as the music packrats.
    Huh, this is a joke, right?

Why did Palm include a video player if only people with OCD need it?

I like to carry pictures and videos of my children. I also have about 10 gig of podcasts, music, and audiobooks I like to listen to.

Is this ok with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    For all of you people who are on the fence about the 8 gig of storage on the phone: Please don't get the Pre! The last thing I want to do is have to churn through another 100 threads after launch about how the storage doesn't meet your needs.
    Well we all know going in how much memory there is, but there are still going to be threads complaining about.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    This is the first concrete evidence of storage capacity that I ve seen. Found on the fact sheet. Is this old news? Without memory slots, I'm a little concerned about this.
    I'm concerned too. I've got a 16GB Touch, which is about right, and being a multimedia phone, the Pre is quite light on memory. That puts another item in the "Con" column, for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Boy, I hope Palm doesn't adopt this in their advertising............

"The Palm Pre, not quite good enough as a media player. Please carry an additional ipod."
    LOL! which is why I've toyed with the idea of getting a MiFi, but geez, it's so expensive if I'd use more than 250MB per month. the next plan is 5GB for $60 a month. Can u imagine with my wife and I both wanting our own MiFi (we are both heavy Touch users), our cell phone bill would go from $70 to $190 ,and that's not including a smart phone on either VZN which we now have, or a smart phone such as the Pre. I can't imagine a whole lot of buyers for the MiFi, due to the cost and stingy data limit.
    I got over 30gb of pictures alone. At least 300gb of music. About 400gb of video. And trust me, its growing..

So with an 8gb (or 16, or 32) what do you do? What do you want with you? Like most, i take my favorites or newest while leaving room for apps. You have to settle for a little.

It's really not a big deal. You conform to what storage you have.

But what if i have it all on the cloud? Or can stream it or have access to it? This is a better solution. I still have the 8gb to get me through any out of signal times which won't be often.
    I got over 30gb of pictures alone. At least 300gb of music. About 400gb of video. And trust me, its growing..

So with an 8gb (or 16, or 32) what do you do? What do you want with you? Like most, i take my favorites or newest while leaving room for apps.

It's really not a big deal. You conform to what storage you have.

But what if i have it all on the cloud? Or can stream it or have access to it? This is a better solution. I still have the 8gb to get me through any out of signal times which won't be often.
    Agreed, but more is always better and it should be on par with your biggest competitor. Especially since it looks like Apple will be offering the 8gig version of the iPhone for $99.00

AppleInsider | Another firm sees Apple selling existing 8GB iPhone 3G for $99
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Agreed, but more is always better and it should be on par with your biggest competitor. Especially since it looks like Apple will be offering the 8gig version of the iPhone for $99.00

AppleInsider | Another firm sees Apple selling existing 8GB iPhone 3G for $99
    I hear ya. I think 16 is better too. More is always better. I'm hoping Palm is aiming for something different here with a cloud approach similar to shying away from desktop syncing. I'm not sure people are ready for such a move though....yet. Going to need lot of batteries though
    Last edited by cardfan; 05/27/2009 at 12:52 PM.
    I mainly use Pandora for my music needs now, I figure between that and a few of my favorite songs I should have plenty of the 8GB left for apps. Just need to get an app that will stream video, preferably Netflix and/or Hulu and then I'd be pretty much set, media wise with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    I love these people. No one's making them "churn" through threads. Its clearly titled! If you're not interested, don't click on it. Much less, comment in the thread.

Obviously they have some huge compulsion to see their names on the threads. Regardles of the fact that they are'nt offering anything of value to the thread. Talk about wasting some people's time!

Stay out of the thread.
    Even if there is no cloud based solution, a crafty programer could concoct an application that could randomly select a group of songs (videos, pictures) and swap them out every night (week, month) when you are on your network. I personally like the cloud based storage solution better, since you could "hot swap" files on the fly, but the above could also work with out too much difficulty in my opinion.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast