Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How about a MICRO usb flash drive that could plug into the pre for backup/expansion? Certainately someone could come up with a drive that would allow this.
    Just an idea. (I should patent this)
    Well, I have a micro-SD to USB adapter, so all you'd need in terms of hardware is a micro-USB to USB connector, which I suspect exists. The real questions is will the Pre recognize the device, and allow you to write to it? That depends on the software Palm has included (or someone else will write).
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    you could always build a micro usb drive into a case that you have on your phone.

definitely could be done.
  4.    #4  
    I would expect physically it could be done. The issue would be the software. Like you said somekind of a driver. I wish I knew how to program in WebOS. That would solve storage issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonhtp View Post
    you could always build a micro usb drive into a case that you have on your phone.

definitely could be done.
    That is not a bad idea at all..."
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Dang it! You had to go and figure it out for yourselves!!! I was planning to make a killing with this device. Now everyone will make one.

A case with a built-in card reader that would connect to the Micro-USB port is not a bad idea...

Seriously, a Micro-USB flash drive with some sweet software could make the lack of an internal card reader a bit less of a pain. Maybe you could swap things (albums, movies, etc.) from internal flash to flash drive and vice versa. Plus, you could bring a backup with you on the road.
    It also depends on the 500 mA output necessary. Who knows if it'll have that.
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    How about a MICRO usb flash drive that could plug into the pre for backup/expansion? Certainately someone could come up with a drive that would allow this.
    Great idea. Watch out, Apple might sue you for stealing its idea... (just a bit fun...)

Good idea, I will buy it...
    why stop there... make the case hard and add in back up battery.. I think I saw a iphone addon that did the battery charging thing... but adding in the sd card slot would be very nice
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    First complication: Does the OMAP in the Pre have USB host support?
    Second complication: If yes, did Palm wire up those contacts?
    Third complication: If yes to both, does Palm plan to implement an API to access it?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    you need USB host support. it's already been talked about in other threads. you need the output mentioned above along with a hack to enable the hardware to do it.
    This doesn't really exist yet, but how cool would a flash drive with a micro USB male end instead of a standard USB end be? With everything becoming smaller, I think it would be cool to see flash drives that connect to micro USB inputs on cellphones, tablets, and other small electronics. A small male micro USB -> female USB adapter could support traditional flash drives.
    Obviously, I'm thinking of added storage for the Pre, but it could have applications in other places as well. It would look a little bit odd having a stick coming out of the side of the Pre, but the shape could be changed.
    Just an idea
    This is what microsd is for. But palm didn't think that was a priority.
    The pre, or whatever other phone you would use this with would need to support USB host. Very few phones do right now.
    <<merged>>
    Just call me Berd.
    I have an 80gig zune for my bulk music collection.

The pre will only be getting my selected playlists.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I have an 80gig zune for my bulk music collection.

The pre will only be getting my selected playlists.
    Same deal here, minus the Zune bit. I can only see myself loading 4-5 GB of musak onto my Pre, mostly the music that I actually listen to.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Its pretty much waht I do with my Curve right now with only 2 gigs of space.

Just throw in my "summer Playlist" (i make playilsts by seasons haha) that has a few hundred songs.
    I use 4.8 gb on my Iphone (including 2 full length movies and 30 or so 30 min tv episodes) which has 16gb available. I am probably more representative of the general population but in this so the 8gb offered by Palm is probably enough for MOST people.

That said the sheer stupidity of not including some sort of expandable memory when all their other phones have it is borderline retarded. Especially when so many power uses can be accommodated by including it.

IMO the Pre should have 16 GB MINIMUM if they aren't including the SD but Apple did it and obviously succeeded so Palm probably said "Screw the extra $8 a handset if Apple can get away with it so can we"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I use 4.8 gb on my Iphone (including 2 full length movies and 30 or so 30 min tv episodes) which has 16gb available. I am probably more representative of the general population but in this so the 8gb offered by Palm is probably enough for MOST people.

That said the sheer stupidity of not including some sort of expandable memory when all their other phones have it is borderline retarded. Especially when so many power uses can be accommodated by including it.

IMO the Pre should have 16 GB MINIMUM if they aren't including the SD but Apple did it and obviously succeeded so Palm probably said "Screw the extra $8 a handset if Apple can get away with it so can we"
    x2, although I wonder how long it would take to download 1 gigd with 3g, off of our own personal "cloud" (mentioned in another thread). If it is only a few minutes, you could theroetically just "swap" 1gb movies... ie, toss one back up, and pull another back down. Or, depending on buffer speeds, internet speeds etc, just watch directly OFF your "cloud," leaving all ~8 gigs for vital info.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast