Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Oh my, WMExperts is reporting that Sprint has just announced that they are going to save $1.2 Billion in labor costs. Sadly, the money saved will be at the expense of people's jobs. And not just a few hundred jobs either. Nope, Sprint plans to eliminate approximately 8,000 positions. According to the press release, the positions to be eliminated will impact all levels of the company, and the impact on geographical locations will vary.

From the press release:

"Labor reductions are always the most difficult action to take, but many companies are finding it necessary in this environment," said Sprint CEO Dan Hesse. "We continue to improve the customer experience and these improvements are reflected in much higher levels of satisfaction in customer surveys and in independent performance tests. Our commitment to quality will not change."
    Read more

I wish all those Sprint employees the best. So sad to hear this news.

They need to get the Pre out the door asap (assuming its stable and ready to go). But I'm not even sure that will help them in the long run. As far as Palm I hope they are planning on getting the Pre on VZW once the exclusive deal is over with Sprint.
    I just got laid off so I know how they feel and it stinks. I cant even get a job at 7-11 and I come form an executive job. they even have too many applications pending. terrible out there. I hope for the best for those sprint employees.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I just got laid off so I know how they feel and it stinks. I cant even get a job at 7-11 and I come form an executive job. they even have too many applications pending. terrible out there. I hope for the best for those sprint employees.
    Very sorry to hear about anybody being laid-off. Another site to look at for jobs (most people tend not to look here) is www.usajobs.gov. Best of luck.
    According to the WMExperts article "Sprint also cops to the fact that of the big 4 in the US, they're the only carrier to have lost net subscribers quarter after quarter" and they also keep losing money.

I wonder if they will survive the current depression.
    Home Depot announced today they are going to cut 7,000 jobs and close Expo Chain
    Caterpillar announced today that they are going to cut 20,000 jobs.

So Far this Year...

Microsoft 5,000
    Intel 6,000
    Philips 6,000
    Bank of America 4,000

Sucks.. i guess i'll stop being disgruntled at my current job and become a thankful employee..
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I used to use the analogy of Palm & Sprint's close ties being analogous to the Wal-Marts of the wireless industry (low prices, convenient & no-frills OS, rotten customer service) . But Wal-Mart's profitability remains bulletproof so that's no longer a fair comparison. So a better analogy for the times might be Palm & Sprint as 2 drunks trying to prop each other up night after night.

As a VZW user but a Palm OS fan (bill is reimbursed by work, so switching IS NOT an option under any circumstance at the moment and VZW also has by far the best coverage between my home & work areas), I've sat here for years watching Sprint get all of the goodies, aside from the simultaneous launch of the horrific 700p.

That said, I really wonder if it was in Palm's best interest to cling so tightly to Sprint in these dire economic times. You'd think Palm would want to try to pull a Centro with the Pre and get it on to as many carriers & networks as possible.

But now everything is apparently aligned so that everyone has their iPhone comptetitor---Verizon has the Storm, T-Mob has the G1 and Sprint has the Pre.

P.S. Yup, the lovely new Home Depot Expo Center near me is closing. It came about 3-4 years too late to catch the housing boom party. Huge bummer.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    They need to get the Pre out the door asap (assuming its stable and ready to go). But I'm not even sure that will help them in the long run. As far as Palm I hope they are planning on getting the Pre on VZW once the exclusive deal is over with Sprint.
    Apple was in the same position,and they turn it around by releaseing the iphone. All is not lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by noel431 View Post
    Apple was in the same position,and they turn it around by releaseing the iphone. All is not lost.
    Apple "turned it around" long before the iPhone came out.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    AT&T use to be a joke too. Iphone helped em big time. (although imo, they're still a joke )

My thoughts on job cuts are basically...it hurts. If they weren't essential, then why did you have them in the first place?

That said, everyone is hurting right now and i think Sprint will bounce back and the Pre will be huge for them.

When i hear about bad customer service, i can relate..all the big companies have these problems. But i also know there's a lot of bad customers that do the griping..calling about problems that could be easily solved by using the internet.
    Last edited by cardfan; 01/26/2009 at 12:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by noel431 View Post
    did you mean ipod?
  12. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    You'd think Palm would want to try to pull a Centro with the Pre and get it on to as many carriers & networks as possible.
    The Centro took the better part of a year to get on all the US networks. And Sprint did most of the marketing when they had their exclusive on it. From the sound of it, a closer analogy might be the Treo 650, where Sprint had a very brief exclusive and then it was available quickly on AT&T/Cingular and later Verizon.

For the Pre, I'm hoping Palm played it smart--giving Sprint an exclusive but holding them to the minimum length for it. While it might be Sprint's flagship phone for now, I'm hoping Palm's goal is to have it on 3 out of the 4 national carriers by back-to-school. (Without some sign from T-Mobile, there's no way to call if or when they'll pick it up.)
    Terriffic, after typing this I went to Home Depot to fill out an application at the little job desk they have where you do it online and the line was too long for people looking for work. Not going back and wasting my time.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Home Depot announced today they are going to cut 7,000 jobs and close Expo Chain
    Caterpillar announced today that they are going to cut 20,000 jobs.

So Far this Year...

Microsoft 5,000
    Intel 6,000
    Philips 6,000
    Bank of America 4,000

Sucks.. i guess i'll stop being disgruntled at my current job and become a thankful employee..
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I love Sprint, and I love this phone, but I'm becoming apprehensive about laying down $200 bucks and Sprint closing up doors. I hate to say it but I'm really beginning to worry - share price is $2.50 today

If they do close up shop, will Verizon or someone buy them? Google buy them? or just no more service go find someone new...
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    And for all the people looking for jobs... I feel your pain. The best advice I could give is to stay the hell away from college and go to a trade school, or train under a relative already in a trade.

Plumbers and Electricians, highly underrated careers
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    I love Sprint, and I love this phone, but I'm becoming apprehensive about laying down $200 bucks and Sprint closing up doors. I hate to say it but I'm really beginning to worry - share price is $2.50 today

If they do close up shop, will Verizon or someone buy them? Google buy them? or just no more service go find someone new...
    I think you're worrying way too much. Sprint has 20 million more customers than T-mobile so I doubt they'll close up shop. If they were to somehow go bankrupt, I'm sure Verizon would end up buying them for cheap just for the customers.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I think you're worrying way too much. Sprint has 20 million more customers than T-mobile so I doubt they'll close up shop. If they were to somehow go bankrupt, I'm sure Verizon would end up buying them for cheap just for the customers.
    I hope you're right but they're bleeding fast! T-Mobile has always been small, Sprint has shrunk haven't they? Any how I'm hoping they stay in business, despite their abysmal store fronts, I do enjoy their speedy internet and good prices.

Imagine if they did that and brought over SERO to Verizon at $30 a month? evil, but that would be a good deal lol
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Good point about the Treo 650, I had nearly forgotten about how the launch of that one went in the years since. I seem to also recall the Treo 600 hitting Sprint first, then unlocked GSM second, then shortly thereafter hitting Cingular "officially". Verizon got it approximately 10 months later, albeit with a few tweaks & ROM fixes that that original Handspring version didn't have out of the box.

Then the Treo 650 came out and we all remember those NVFS bugs that really hampered the 650 launch. Verizon users actually received a blessing in disguise that time around b/c the Treo 650 was in much better shape ROM-wise when it finally hit Verizon 6-7 months later than the other carriers.

Still, it's difficult to be stuck on VZW & being a Palm fan, as all of these devices either are passed on by VZW or, at best, arrive late to the party.

Historically, only the Treo 700p and the 700w arrived early on Verizon or simultaneously with Sprint.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  19. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Still, it's difficult to be stuck on VZW & being a Palm fan, as all of these devices either are passed on by VZW or, at best, arrive late to the party.
    My joke for years has been that Verizon users can often look to Sprint for a "preview of coming attractions"...

Of course, this may change whenever they flesh out their "openness" policy. The cynic in me thinks that it'll be "wait until we switch everything to LTE and use unlocked devices"...
    Its unfortunate, but Palm picked the worst possible time to come out with the PRE. The world is in a nasty recession, with job losses not seen since the depression. Also, the market is kind of crowded (Win. Mobile, Blackberry, iPhone). I just don't see the PRE being a run away success in sales, even if its better than the competition.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast