Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "Leveling the playing field" against the Pre or catching up to it is more than adding newer flashy features, a keyboard, or more RAM. The appeal of the Pre is the OS, much more so than the hardware.

Just from the January keynote, it's clear that WebOS has usability and productivity features that no other mobile OS does or will for some time. The "cards" concept alone is a gamechanger.

Keep in mind, it's no easy thing to redo an entire OS. Apple's has been essentially unchanged from 2007. Windows Mobile has undergone minimal upgrades for years now, and even the yet-to-arrive 6.5 changes relatively little. The Blackberry OS took years to get where it is now. And Garnet...well, 'nuff said.

Android could feasibly ape WebOS features, but so what? Every OS out now has iPhone skins, and it makes no difference. WebOS is similarly distinctive from what we have seen.
    [QUOTE=west3man;1549247]Are they really a different company? If they've been developing this operating system and product line for as long as they say, that overlaps with their previous product releases. In other words, why shouldn't we expect the same behavior from them post-Pre as we received ... err ... pre-Pre?

If it's their Pre-philosophy that makes us* think they might be a different company, I have to wonder if we saw any evidence of that new philosophy before now. I do think Palm was showing us their progression, in some ways, because the Pre seems to be the culmination of a lot of what we've seen in their more recent devices such as no external antenna, smaller size, gps functionality, slick appearance, mini-usb port, 3.5 mm headset jack, etc. But how does that speak to a different philosophy or a different company?>>>>>>>>>

I'm a bit skeptical too, but i've been pretty impressed with the treo pro and especially the Pre. Palm has been headed in the right direction.

The only thing i would pin my hopes on is that Palm has stated let them develop their own system, ala apple, and they'll have the system in place to be able to pump out updates and basically be able to react faster to issues.

Well, lo and behold, they're getting such a system in place. It does look a little ragtag still but it appears to be getting appleish. They've left it up to the imagination on how some things will go with the Pre or just haven't told all yet.

But yeah, time will tell if past behavior will persist. That won't fly. But i can't imagine them not recognizing the importance of this or not knowing this now.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    But yeah, time will tell if past behavior will persist. That won't fly. But i can't imagine them not recognizing the importance of this or not knowing this now.
    Palm's seeming inability to recognize the importance in the past is exactly what put them in this "hail-Mary-pass" situation with the Pre. How many folks complained about lack of BT, insufficient BT profiles, insufficient memory, lack of wifi, and a host of other lesser irritants only to observe Palm releasing yet-another-device with the same shortcomings.

I can imagine Palm not recognizing (or perhaps responding to) the importance of a lot of things. I hope this time they can pull their heads out - but nothing in Palm's corporate history gives me a rational basis for that hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by jagowar View Post
    that will never fly.... unless there is a true iphone 2.0 with a completely separate marketplace because one thing apple is not going to do is make all those 1.0 and 3g models not work. whatever apple does will have to work on all iphones.

and i personally dont think they will match it for a while.... they will do some things better than the pre but the pre will do some things better than the iphone.
    How does increasing memory in the next iPhone prevent earlier models from functioning?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12