1.    #1  
    I'm a business owner but I do business all over the globe. I need quad band but Palm doesn't seem to be interested in including that, even at a premium.
    The thing that attracts me to the Pre is the ability to switch between apps.
    It will takes quad band to close the deal
    Considering they haven't even said anything about the GSM version of the Pre, this is a little premature. Let's wait and see at the MWC if they announce a quadband version or not.
    Palm's existing GSM phones all have quad band radios so I would expect any GSM Pre to be the same. I would suggest holding off purchasing a Pre until a quad band GSM version is available in the US.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I'm assuming you're talking about Quad Band 3G, which doesn't seem at all common. I would really like it if it did provide 4 3G bands - give us more choice of carrier. Though I wonder if that would make battery life worse, by adding a 4th 3G frequency?
    Quote Originally Posted by ipsi View Post
    I'm assuming you're talking about Quad Band 3G, which doesn't seem at all common. I would really like it if it did provide 4 3G bands - give us more choice of carrier. Though I wonder if that would make battery life worse, by adding a 4th 3G frequency?
    No, I am talking about Quad band GSM/Edge. Supporting all 3G bands would be nice of course but the phone will still work if it can pickup a GSM signal.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    In which case I'm slightly confused - most Palm phones support all four GSM/Edge bands, as far as I'm aware. My 680 did, and my Treo Pro does. Which ones don't?
    In which case I'm slightly confused - most Palm phones support all four GSM/Edge bands, as far as I'm aware. My 680 did, and my Treo Pro does. Which ones don't?
    I think the OP is just hoping the Pre will be Quad Band.
    The other posters said it's most likely to be Quad Band.

Although this comment is a little confusing:
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffdeal View Post
    I need quad band but Palm doesn't seem to be interested in including that, even at a premium.
    Just call me Berd.
    personally I hope Palm releases a dual mode cdma/gsm Pre...that would be awesome

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The ones that are only available on Sprint or Verizon (eg 800W, 755P).
  10. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    All of Palm's GSM phones (since the 600 and except for the 500v) have supported 850/900/1800/1900. The 750 and Treo Pro have also had 3G support on 850/1900/2100. T-Mobile, in the US, uses 1700, is the only carrier worldwide to do so, and few non-T-Mo-branded phones support it.

I also found this, from palm.com:

scheduled to be available first in the United States exclusively from Sprint in the first half of 2009, and will be followed by a world-ready UMTS version for other regions.
    While it's hard to be sure, I'm hoping that means a comparable radio to the 750 and Pro.
    I'd would appear as though the GSM version of the phone will be released sometime after the Sprint CDMA version, but will be restricted to overseas markets for the foreseeable future. I'd honestly be surprised if we see a US Pre with a GSM radio before Q4 of this year (and thats being optimistic). That said, depending on the radio Palm puts in the overseas GSM Pre, you may be able to import the device and run it on AT&T's 3G network (since T-Mobile 1700 band support is unlikely, though possible).
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams

Follow me on Twitter
  12. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromson View Post
    I'd would appear as though the GSM version of the phone will be released sometime after the Sprint CDMA version, but will be restricted to overseas markets for the foreseeable future. I'd honestly be surprised if we see a US Pre with a GSM radio before Q4 of this year (and thats being optimistic). That said, depending on the radio Palm puts in the overseas GSM Pre, you may be able to import the device and run it on AT&T's 3G network (since T-Mobile 1700 band support is unlikely, though possible).
    It obviously won't be sold in the US while Sprint's exclusive is in effect. The question is whether the unlocked one will be available overseas during Sprint's exclusive.

I'd hope we'll see it on other US carriers than Sprint before Q4, though that obviously depends on whether Sprint's exclusive is 3 or 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    It obviously won't be sold in the US while Sprint's exclusive is in effect. The question is whether the unlocked one will be available overseas during Sprint's exclusive.
    Well unlocked may be a good question, though its generally not too terribly difficult to unlock a GSM phone if needed.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams

Follow me on Twitter
  14. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromson View Post
    Well unlocked may be a good question, though its generally not too terribly difficult to unlock a GSM phone if needed.
    There are two other benefits of a factory unlocked one: 1) no carrier junk apps and 2) the GPS will most likely work with or without a cell signal (like the GSM Treo Pro).
    Last edited by Q; 01/27/2009 at 09:28 AM.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    personally I hope Palm releases a dual mode cdma/gsm Pre...that would be awesome
    I would love that. I'm thinking of trying a Blackberry Storm to get that kind of a radio.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    I would love that. I'm thinking of trying a Blackberry Storm to get that kind of a radio.
    As a current Storm owner and former 700P owner looking into the Pre for my wife, I can tell you having CDMA/GSM radios is fantastic.

I had an opportunity to use my Storm (unlocked after a 10 min. call to VZW)in a GSM area overseas 3 weeks after I got it and having the radios was great. I landed and got to my hotel. Had the receptionist hand me an envelope, in it a SIM card from a local carrier (pre-arranged before leaving the US), popped open the Storm took about the battery and took out the VZW SIM and inserted the local carrier SIM. It was sweet. I had voice but needed to use my VZW SIM for data (VZW voice was WAAAAAAYYY too expensive). The next time I will research how to use the local carrier for data as well so I do not need to do the switch each time I want to use the other type of service.

Anyway..back to my Pre research for wifey.
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami View Post
    The next time I will research how to use the local carrier for data as well so I do not need to do the switch each time I want to use the other type of service.
    www.callineurope.com
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    LOL @ this thread... even worse than the microSD support group crew
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Not likely they could fit both radios inside the existing Pre form factor.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    LOL @ this thread... even worse than the microSD support group crew
    yeah you are right, why would anyone care when the version usable by 88.5% of the market will come out?