Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    it doesn't make sense why the pre will have a centro battery and the Pro to have a better battery?
    Because they went with what would fit into their design? Who knows.
    Well...they have a new processor in it....a real fast one....I sure hope it is very efficient too! If you go back in time and take the Pentium 4 processor of yore, when Intel was busy trying to win the Ghz wars against AMD, but yet was losing in just about every benchmark against them, their CPU was consuming power at record rates. Fast Forward to the Core 2 Duo CPU and the I7 CPU of today, they are way faster and consume quite a bit less power.

So...that's my hope! Along with optimization to the OS of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    it doesn't make sense why the pre will have a centro battery and the Pro to have a better battery?
    If you were an optimist you would say it's because the Pre is much more efficient. Only time will tell.
    The answer is simple, there wasn't enough room for the 1500 Mah battery.
    They have already said that these design decisions were made because the physical form was the single most important factor for the pre and hardware specs were second to form. Its the same reason there is no microSD and the Pro has one.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    It makes perfect sense: form over function
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    It makes perfect sense: form over function
    Too bad that most people don't agree with that philosophy. It's like...your average looking girlfriend with a great personality vs the smoking hot dumbass.
    If you like what the Treo Pro has to offer - bigger battery, micro SD card, why not just buy the Pro?

That sounds like a simple solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Too bad that most people don't agree with that philosophy. It's like...your average looking girlfriend with a great personality vs the smoking hot dumbass.
    And the smoking hot dumbass is always fun to play with. Which is probably one of the reasons why the iPhone is so popular.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    If you like what the Treo Pro has to offer - bigger battery, micro SD card, why not just buy the Pro?

That sounds like a simple solution.
    That's oversimplifying their postion since they want webOS as well.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    That's oversimplifying their postion since they want webOS as well.
    Considering at this point that the webOS phone does not have micro sd and has the Centro battery, they will need to weigh the pros and cons for their own needs/wants (duh)
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    If you want broad market appeal, the physical design is extremely important. While the average person on this board may feel this way, when I talk with a lot of different people about phones, design is a very large part of the decision.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Considering at this point that the webOS phone does not have micro sd and has the Centro battery, they will need to weigh the pros and cons for their own needs/wants (duh)
    Exactly my point. Which is why you can't just generalize everyone who's made a comment against a missing SD card slot and everyone who questions the battery size into one "Just buy the Pro" lump. Even if the Pre isn't good enough for them yet, and they want to wait for the second generation that may suit their needs better, the Pro still isn't necessarily the answer for what to use in the mean time.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Exactly my point. Which is why you can't just generalize everyone who's made a comment against a missing SD card slot and everyone who questions the battery size into one "Just buy the Pro" lump. Even if the Pre isn't good enough for them yet, and they want to wait for the second generation that may suit their needs better, the Pro still isn't necessarily the answer for what to use in the mean time.
    I agree. There are posts in the thread comparing the Pro and the Pre regarding battery size and micro sd and that is what my comment was based on.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    And the smoking hot dumbass is always fun to play with. Which is probably one of the reasons why the iPhone is so popular.
    Always fun for the first month, then a dumbass is just a dumbass
    Terry
    I assume small size was reason number 1, existing inventory was reason number 2.

Look how small (thin) the portion of the Pre is that contains the battery.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    most people?
    really?
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    most people?
    really?
    Well for one thing, beauty is till in the eye of the beholder. Secondly, and I am basing this on personal experience, most consumers want a phone that looks cool, and the actual functions of the phone besides being able to make phone calls and text messages, seem secondary. I have seen a lot of girls running around with Blackberrys and Treos, in the days before the iPhone, that had the phone because it had a keyboard, and everyone knew they were expensive. They had no clue how to even set up email on them. When I show some people all the things I can do with my phone, they say that's nice, but they don't need all that. We do live in a trendy society, and if the phone has been hyped enough, like the iPhone, and is easily identifiable, like the iPhone, then people will buy it. I can't tell you how many people confused my Sprint Touch with an iPhone!

Now the hardcore phone users, the ones that want the phone to do as much as possible, and modify to the nth degree seem to be more of a group of people that care a little less what the phone looks like. "You have to make the phone bigger for a microSD slot or a bigger battery?? Do it!" that's what they will say.

Why do you think the original Razr was such a huge success? Everyone loved how it looked, but really, it was a piece of crap, and people still bought it!
    there is no answer to the original question yet.

Which one of you knows the power consumption of WebOS? no one.

For all we know it could use 1/2 the power of a WM device (less system resources, lighter on the cpu, etc). Time will tell but saying this or that doesnt help anyone because the answer is we dont know its a totally new OS so you cant predict battery life.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast