Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It is interesting to note though how secretive Palm is with regards to battery life. I just hope they don't have any serious issues with it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    It is interesting to note though how secretive Palm is with regards to battery life. I just hope they don't have any serious issues with it!
    Battery life questions are sort of in the same vein as "when did you stop beating your wife?". There's no good answer, particularly when you're still tweaking the device and the answer may change up or down. Answer based on current development and you either create an expectation you can't deliver, or give a disappointing answer that will be improving. You can't win.

On a more profound level, IMO battery life is never good enough, because manufacturers tend to respond to market demand by adding features and eye candy until battery life is tolerable. To get better battery life, you'd have to throttle something back, and devices sell based on feature list and responsiveness during in-store trials. So you'll push power usage as far as you can get away with without making the battery life totally untenable.

Battery size is also a trade off. Make the battery bigger, and the device gets thicker and clunkier. Thick and clunky doesn't sell devices when you try it out for 5 minutes in the store.

Yes, some devices will have better battery life than others. And yes, long battery life is definitely a sales feature. But the size of the device, how that size feels in your hand, and your perception of responsiveness and "cool features" will close more sales. So we end up with smaller batteries that are just good enough to not be a problem. IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Too bad that most people don't agree with that philosophy. It's like...your average looking girlfriend with a great personality vs the smoking hot dumbass.
    I disagree. Smoking hot is function.
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    there is no answer to the original question yet.
    Yes there is. Posts # 5 and # 6 answer the original question. The split form factor doesn't leave much room in either half for a thick battery.

I'm hopeful, though, that the Pre will be much more "fuel efficient." When I had a blackberry for work, I was amazed at how much more it got out of a battery that wasn't much more than half the size of the one in my 700p. The Treo platform seems hideously inefficient in that regard, so I think there's room for much lower battery consumption.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12