Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    If so, what does it look like? Any screenshots?
    Well, a blank screen on the Pre is basically your Today screen. All the way in the top line you have your clock, signal strength, connection status and battery power. At the bottom you have your notification bar. That's about it. Based on the videos I have seen, the Pre will notify you of your missed calls, voicemails etc., in the bottom area of the screen, kind of like how Sprints Windows Mobile phones do it, but I don't think you can put plugins on the Today screen like you could in Windows Mobile....thinks like Weather, Stocks, more system information and stuff like that. Looks to me like the Pre is taking a "less is better" approach to reduce the clutter and make things instantly accessible using the Cards system.

You really can't compare webOS with Windows Mobile, they are two totally different approaches, and besides basic notifcations, you won't see anything else cluttering up the Pre's screen when no other applications are launched.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to add plugins to the main screen. Just because it wasn't shown doesn't mean it won't be possible. It would be a silly thing for Palm not to include, at least through third party apps. But it hasn't been shown yet so we don't know.
    I think plug ins go against Palms "keep it clean" philosophy. But we'll see, who knows what the third party devs come up with.
    Like everyone else I have only seen the plain home screen however, I wouldn't be surprised if there were plugins. But I would expect them in the free floating widget form, rather than the texty plugins of Windows Mobile. It just makes sense.
    There better be plugins- picking up the device and being able to see whats next on the calender is a big deal for a lot of people.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    At least a "top card" type of today screen would be good. Something you can keep going back to with all of your important stuff there.

In fact, I'm going to trademark the name "Joker" right now.
    Well, assuming that the homescreen is also html, I think it'd be pretty easy to add in web-style widgets, but we'll see.
    I have never used a Palm product before....how does it work on the current Treos? Is there a Today screen like feature or no?
    There is no home screen by default on Garnet Treos, though a ton of aftermarket software for that (like 2Day, which when combined with Initiate Launcher, actually gives some of the functionality of the Pre- it does universal search pretty much too.)
    Yes, if Palm doesn't make a today screen it seems like it would be easy to make one. Take the media player for example it creates a notification that's visible on the screen at all times with the play/stop/next buttons. Since all the apps included with the Pre are supposedly written with html, css and javascript, you could make a 'today card' which has similar function. A notification could stay on the bottom of the screen and display your next appointment, weather, news...whatever and you might even be able to make it appear on the bottom only when the card has focus (using javascript). Make it customizable via a settings menu of some sort and you would have yourself a nice today screen!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    At least a "top card" type of today screen would be good. Something you can keep going back to with all of your important stuff there.

In fact, I'm going to trademark the name "Joker" right now.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    I figured I would just keep my up-coming appointments as the 'top card'.

Also, a timeout, kinda like WM today has, could be added,
    but instead it would just timeout to your 'top card'

But now, with your "Joker"(wild card) it could be a customizable card that you could kinda use like a Today/'Top Card'
    Well, I was thinking more if the today screen wasn't a card, and if the widgets were just in the background behind the cards, so that when you press the center button and the cards zoom out, then you see the widgets behind everything, or when you have all the cards closed, then you can see things more clearly.

A separate card for that would just add to the clutter.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well, I was thinking more if the today screen wasn't a card, and if the widgets were just in the background behind the cards, so that when you press the center button and the cards zoom out, then you see the widgets behind everything, or when you have all the cards closed, then you can see things more clearly.

A separate card for that would just add to the clutter.
    Yeah...that would be nice...having a nice little weather icon, maybe an analog clock for nostalgic looks, and a little Stock Market readout gadget....that would be cool.
    Thought that the Pre has a sort of notification "bar" at the bottom of the screen that tells of all pending issues such as appointments, txt messages, emails etc.. Think of on a WM phone when you get the pop up window...

Or like the "notification" bar at the lower left of your today screen.. Thought when you have pending notifications the Pre actually sets aside the lower inch or so and basically shrinks the screen in accordance... You have to acknowlege the notifications or open a new "card" to address each one.

So I believe the notifications and such are already done for you... Thinking the "today" screen as we know it is not Necessary...

I am sure someone will make a screen though that will display information similar to the today screen we have on the wm stuff... Heck think of it more like a desktop screen then a today screen.. What do you have on YOUR desktop?

Rodney
    Just make a card with your widgets/small apps and place that card in the quick laucher wave. I like the clean appearance of the current webOS screen. The data should be hidden, but quickly accessible, IMO.
    Is this good enough for people?

From http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/01/...image-page/34/

I know it doesn't show weather or anything like that, but it would be easy enough for a developer to add that to the notification area as well, based on what I read about the SDK.
    ok, this could be just a simple version of a data-filled homescreen.
    but what about widgets for rss, weather, appointments etc. ?
    Quote Originally Posted by csae2014 View Post
    ok, this could be just a simple version of a data-filled homescreen.
    but what about widgets for rss, weather, appointments etc. ?
    They've said that any application can use the notification area, so I assume if someone made a weather or RSS or whatever application it could just appear down there.
    I actually want my Agendus Month Icon View more than a Today screen.