Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering how that works in the Palm world. I have a Windows Mobile phone right now (Sprint Touch) and obviously, you can do pretty much anything you want to that thing as far as appearance goes.

Do you guys think the Pre's UI will feature downloadable or modifyable themes?
    They've said that yes, every aspect of the UI is customizable.
  3.    #3  
    Sweet... because nothing gets more boring than having to look at the same UI every day...gotta mix it up a bit. On my current phone, the wallpaper is pretty useless since the UI clutters it up with the clock and all that other more or less useless stuff, at least on the Pre, you get to see that pretty wallpaper when you don't have anything else going on.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    They've said that yes, every aspect of the UI is customizable.
    I can see it now:
    For just $2 you can get a Transformers 3 theme for your Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I can see it now:
    Transformers, that won't float in my office. They better offer a Thundercats Theme!
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    Transformers, that won't float in my office. They better offer a Thundercats Theme!
    Afro-Samurai or Drinky Crow, please.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Just wondering how that works in the Palm world. I have a Windows Mobile phone right now (Sprint Touch) and obviously, you can do pretty much anything you want to that thing as far as appearance goes.

Do you guys think the Pre's UI will feature downloadable or modifyable themes?
    I would bet money that this will be the most customizable phone out there. And making themes would probably be as easy as writing some HTML/CSS/JSJSJS
    Who wants to put money on there being a Matrix theme within the first month? :-P
  9.    #9  
    Yeah I hope it will be easy for the average user to create a theme and post them in forums like this for others to enjoy. That's what's going on in the more popular Windows Mobile forums, and I have gotten some nice themes from there for my Touch.

Can't wait until the Pre is released....!
    So here's an interesting questin: what is there to theme in the first place on this interface?

1. The topbar -- but I bet Palm won't wantyou theming that, as it is supposed to feel like part of the hardware itself
    2. The launcher/app list
    3. the background color of the 'wave'
    4. the colors of the menus
    5. the notification area
    6. individual apps (built in)
    7. individual apps (3rd party)

I guess I'm asking because there's not a lot of UI to theme here, it's all card-based and each app takes up the entire screen. Palm likely won't allow #6, #7 pretty much goes without saying, and so the only thing left is 1-5 ...what would you want to change there?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    So here's an interesting questin: what is there to theme in the first place on this interface?

1. The topbar -- but I bet Palm won't wantyou theming that, as it is supposed to feel like part of the hardware itself
    2. The launcher/app list
    3. the background color of the 'wave'
    4. the colors of the menus
    5. the notification area
    6. individual apps (built in)
    7. individual apps (3rd party)

I guess I'm asking because there's not a lot of UI to theme here, it's all card-based and each app takes up the entire screen. Palm likely won't allow #6, #7 pretty much goes without saying, and so the only thing left is 1-5 ...what would you want to change there?
    Hummm....good question...!

I am so used to my Touch looking so ugly without some sort of custom interface like Manila 2d or Mobile Shell which are great to skin/theme, but there is no point in doing that on the Pre since the UI probably can't be touched in the way Manila 2d and Mobile Shell change the user experience on WinMo phones. And if you look at the general idea of themes on just basic Windows Mobile, all we change is the background picture, some fonts and font colors, and the color of the background of certain windows and the top and bottom bars.

I guess as long as we can change the background pics and maybe some colors, I'd be happy.

Something tells me it just won't be as customizable as Windows Mobile.... if I show my current Touch to your average Sprint Rep, they just look at me and say "WTF is that?" But that's fine, WinMo needs big help with the UI, the Pre doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Hummm....good question...!

I am so used to my Touch looking so ugly without some sort of custom interface like Manila 2d or Mobile Shell which are great to skin/theme,
    True that!

but there is no point in doing that on the Pre since the UI probably can't be touched in the way Manila 2d and Mobile Shell change the user experience on WinMo phones. And if you look at the general idea of themes on just basic Windows Mobile, all we change is the background picture, some fonts and font colors, and the color of the background of certain windows and the top and bottom bars.

I guess as long as we can change the background pics and maybe some colors, I'd be happy.
    i know we can change the default wallpaper, but one interesting note: there is no "home screen", but instead just cards and the launcher. If you have even one card open, there's no quick way to just get back to an empty page with your wallpaper and quick-launch icons except to close all your cards. It's a little weird, but I guess it could work.

Something tells me it just won't be as customizable as Windows Mobile.... if I show my current Touch to your average Sprint Rep, they just look at me and say "WTF is that?" But that's fine, WinMo needs big help with the UI, the Pre doesn't.
    I agree that the Pre will need less skinning than Windows Mobile -- but there are always going to be people (I'm one of them!) who like to customize the heck out of stuff. I don't think we'll be able to do as much with the Pre as we can with WinMo or even PalmOS (as you say), but hopefully that will change in the next few years.

Crazy -- the thing isn't even out yet and we're looking forward to potential features that might not come for over a year!
  13.    #13  
    Dieter, was there any Sprint rep around or did anyone hint at whether Sprint is going to put its "black and yellow" signature colors in a theme all over the phone? I mean, compare a Touch Pro with a Fuze, and the color themes are totally different on essentially the same phone. I am just wondering if the UI shown was the basic version, the type you would get from an unlocked version, since besides the Sprint logo on the back of the phone when the keyboard was slid out there was no other indication anywhere that this was a Sprint phone. And typical Sprint Apps like Sprint TV and Sprint Navigation weren't on it either.
    If not I;m sure someone will hack it or create an app that will skin it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I can see it now:
    where do i go on my pre to get a theme?????
    Quote Originally Posted by ryongqsinger View Post
    where do i go on my pre to get a theme?????
    I am sorry but....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAH

Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    All the themes are css based, and some png images. Its very easy to modify then. I was about 90% done with a dark theme for the messenger app, but I gave up because I just couldn't find one or two settings, and I'm not super amazing at css to begin with. I have modified my icons and even rotated my battery indicator, heres a screencap.

I've also modified the burst thing when you select an app to be an explosion, and I changed my boot screen as well.

Heres my boot image, it lights up bright red in the center

I also changed the USB mode and Media Sync mode pictures as follows

And modified my dialer app
    Holy crap, I want that explosion thinggie!
    If you look at the iPhone themes, its nice to be able to change the default icons and background and actions to be cohesive.

Once flash is installed, I'd love to have an animated background (I know...battery life, but the option would be nice to have).
    I want to see what the people that did zLauncher can do with the Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast