View Poll Results: Whats the biggest MiscroSD card size you got?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1GB

5 3.38%
  • 2GB

14 9.46%
  • 4GB

41 27.70%
  • 8GB

59 39.86%
  • 16GB

22 14.86%
  • Whats a MicroSD card?

7 4.73%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With all this talk about no SD slot got me thinking: yeah i wish they added one so i can use mine. Them it hit me. What is the biggest SD card i have? 4GB that i use with my 800w. Now wait a minute... WHAT?!?!

For everyone complaining about no MicroSD card slot, just wondering what is the size of your cards?

OK, so you want to be able to expand in the future. Yah.. got ya, but hey you'll most likely have that new phone running webOS with 16GB of on board memory so it doesnt matter :P

anyway, im just curious. Isnt an on board 8GB drive faster than a 8GB SD card to access your files?

So lets cap. I have a 800w with a SD card slot with a 4GB card and im happy that i have a SD slot but complaining about 8GB drive with no slot on the pre. I got over that one real fast.
    Last edited by Vyruz Reaper; 01/23/2009 at 12:07 AM.
    my main concern is not expandability but the ability to do a backup/restore in the event of replacing my phone. I understand that my PIM data will be synced with the cloud, but what about my docs and other data? Someone will likely come up with a wireless backup solution, but I don't want to pay for a subscription, and transferring up to 8GB of data over EVDO would take FOREVER!!!
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm concerned about that too, although my concern is because of the constant crashes that I'm used to on Garnet and doing frequent hard resets. If the phone is actually stable (and that's an "if" that'll just have to be a wait and see), then I won't mind not having the sd.

Until I see that the phone has a horrible method of initially putting my movies and music onto the phone (because those are the files that take up the majority of the space), then I'm just in wait and see mode, and not angry about the missing expansion.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  4.    #4  
    what if you can back up your device to your computer at home? You really dont need to back up your contacts b/c of synergy.
    I'm the only one asking that?! ;_;. I don't have a micro, only have a mini. Its 2GB though. Anyway, yeah it shows 8GB is more than enough for me.
    Not back up your contacts? I am confused....lets say I am old school and actually type all my contacts from my old WinMo phone into the Pre... well Synergy save that same where in Palms cloud space?

I have a 8 gb card in my current phone, and I guess the only reason why I am "upset" about the lack of a slot is because...well, I can't use the card I will now have uselessly laying around! But that's about the only reason because I only have about 1 gb worth of stuff on my memory card, and most of that are the install files need to modify the phone to my liking and install the apps I got for it.

Someone mentioned movie files....since the screen is this odd resolution of 320 x 480, I wonder if there are any conversion programs out there that allow you to convert your DVD's down to that resolution. I have SPB DVD right now, and it can do just about any resolution except 320 x 480...go figure!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    With all this talk about no SD slot got me thinking: yeah i wish they added one so i can use mine. Them it hit me. What is the biggest SD card i have?
    I have a 16GB SD card, from my old 680. Not got round to getting more than an 8GB microSD card yet though.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Everyone keeps talking about two main points when it comes to the microSD being important/not important. People say its important for backups and some people say it's not important because they currently don't use more than 8GB anyways. On the backups front, I mostly agree, though it's quite possible there will be other/better alternatives. As for the argument about not needing more than 8GB, I think this is completely meaningless. The main problem with that argument is that to this day palm has yet to release a phone that was truly meant to be used as a media player. My 755p and even the Treo Pro are NOT media player devices. I have kinoma and it's a great app, but it still doesn't encourage me to use it as a standard media player. On the other hand, the Pre is positioned to have similar media playback capabilities to the iPhone and will support even more formats. That combined with a true multitasking capability will encourage the use of the Pre as a music player and video player. Assuming it's true that many people don't have 8GB of music (which I think is becoming less and less true as more people convert their CD collections and download songs) there is still the question of video storage. I believe movies that are down sized to the iPhone/Pre resolution are generally between 200-400MB. That basically means that if you have a few gigs of music, you might be able to fit 10 or so videos on the Pre. I know this seems like a lot, but if you consider all the data, apps, and potentially stuff like GPS maps, you become very limited on space. Again this isn't necessary for most of us with our current phones, but with the Pre it will be REALLY easy to fill up that space.
    I have three 8gb cards. I use one in my mp3 player, one in my camera with the 3rd living in my Centro. I can easily switch out based on my needs. Would upgrade to a 16gb card when the prices drop a little more to increase music content and files for work with less swapping.

and as schnoid said, the purpose of the Pre is to become more useful. The device you use for everything. Well if I'm supposed to use it that much more, I need the ability to have more usable info on it. Having a closed 8 gigs just doesn't do it. I wouldn't have to carry my Fuze to the gym or for basic use while traveling. I'd use it more for video than I did the Centro whether it's for personal or work reasons. And with all of that not getting backed up to the cloud, if the Pre goes down and needs to be restored you're SOL until you get back to your computer. And what if you had files you updated during the day from the version that is on your computer? I'm hoping the OS is stable, but there's always what if scenarios.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Someone mentioned movie files....since the screen is this odd resolution of 320 x 480, I wonder if there are any conversion programs out there that allow you to convert your DVD's down to that resolution. I have SPB DVD right now, and it can do just about any resolution except 320 x 480...go figure!
    Try HandBrake for converting to that resolution. Works great for the iPod Touch.

As far as memory for me, I have a 2GB card in my 700P and it is roughly 3/4 full.
    Last edited by NachoB; 01/23/2009 at 07:03 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    No micro here. 1GB mini SD in my 750.

I'm firmly on the side of those who really don't see 8gb as a problem.

I had the 8gb 2G iPhone and now have the 16gb 3G iPhone. Is 16gb better? yep for sure, but 8gb was not a big problem.

For me it's the storage that matters rather than whether it is on a card or internal. I actually prefer internal as the last thing I want is to be carrying other cards about. Particularly little tiny micro SD cards.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    For me it's all about local backup/restore when no PC or "cloud"/connection is available. Of course I do fill the rest of the card with a multitude of apps and entertainment.
    what if you can back up your device to your computer at home? You really dont need to back up your contacts b/c of synergy.
    Right. this is what I mentioned earlier, but if I'm travelling and can't get to my home PC, and I was planning to have my media files or business docs with me (cuz I'm traveling), it would be a major PITA if something were to happen to my Pre. I realize that's a lot of ifs. Also, I would love to be able to put my 8GB SD card into my Pre for a total of 16GB. None of this, however, will keep me from bying my Pre as soon as it is available.

I just noticed that I used the phrase "my Pre" 3 times. I can't wait!!!
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    Right. this is what I mentioned earlier, but if I'm travelling and can't get to my home PC, and I was planning to have my media files or business docs with me (cuz I'm traveling), it would be a major PITA if something were to happen to my Pre. I realize that's a lot of ifs. Also, I would love to be able to put my 8GB SD card into my Pre for a total of 16GB. None of this, however, will keep me from bying my Pre as soon as it is available.

I just noticed that I used the phrase "my Pre" 3 times. I can't wait!!!

lol, but usually when you travel, you bring a laptop with you, no?
    lol, but usually when you travel, you bring a laptop with you, no?
    I dunno about other people, but even if I did bring my laptop with my while traveling, that wouldn't help my situation. My laptop has very little information on it and everything being sync'd to my 755p is directly on my desktop. My laptop is mostly a logmein machine :-P
    I answered "What's a MicroSD card?" even though I know what it is. My 755p uses MiniSD cards. I have 4GB cards but a half dozen or so...

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I dunno about other people, but even if I did bring my laptop with my while traveling, that wouldn't help my situation. My laptop has very little information on it and everything being sync'd to my 755p is directly on my desktop. My laptop is mostly a logmein machine :-P
    My laptop is my desktop... at least for work. It's with me whenever I travel on business. I use my 755p for quick emails and staying in touch but when I have a few minutes or need to do some serious work I pull out my laptop and use the 755p as a Bluetooth modem.

I have a homebuilt PC that I use for my home computer.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    I feel that the memory card in my 755p, 4gb Micro SD card in an adaptor, is currently 1/2 full. but I don't use the Treo as an MP3 player or video player. This is what my iPod Touch is for. If the Treo had a 3.5mm headphone jack this could change but i'm not going to deal with a bulky adapter.

I'll fill the Pre's 8gb of storage, I have 40gb of music and listen/watch no less then 8 Podcast. But I do the shuffle with my 16gb Touch so I'll have to do the same thing with my Pre when I get it.

Micro SD would be nice but let's face it, even if it was 16gb or 32gb ppl would ***** about the missing SD slot.

Tim

---
    and if the Pre is selling for (let's just say) $250 for 8gb, I would pay more for a 16gb or even 32gb with the same specs.
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    8GB Class 4 is the biggest card I have. I'm looking at the 16GB cards now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I only have a 4GB card in my Centro.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast