View Poll Results: Whats the biggest MiscroSD card size you got?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1GB

5 3.38%
  • 2GB

14 9.46%
  • 4GB

41 27.70%
  • 8GB

59 39.86%
  • 16GB

22 14.86%
  • Whats a MicroSD card?

7 4.73%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    You people must be so important that you need constant backups of your phone...... have you heard of google calendar? gmail? put all your stuff on there and get with the times .. and stop feeling so special !
    I don't consider myself special because I want backups, I consider myself informed and prepared. Can Google backup my ThoughtManager databases? My NoteStudio wikis? Palm Memos? All of my apps if my phone tanks? My ringtones? etc.. etc... I bet Google won't even backup every field in my Contacts. It may backup a few simple things, but I'm not a simple user.

My Treo has 64MB and though I have 2MB free (so 64MB is a bit cramped), I would have been quite pleased if the Pre gave me 4GB user accessible storage with a Card Slot.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    All of that is a waste of time IMO sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    But it pretty much takes the argument down to:
    -obvious limited capacity
    -ease of sharing and loading info since you need to have a micro USB cable with you at all times which is actually a pain. All laptops these days have card readers. Many desktops have them built in. TV's even have them built in. Plus it makes it more difficult to share with other portable devices that have mSD slots.
    That is the consensus
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    To each his own... The applications on my Palm are essential to my job (and me) and certainly make my life easier. Many of my Contacts are available in multiple places and I can dig up most of it again, but the much of the documentation provided in my apps is irreplaceable ... continuation of explanation deleted ... Fortunately we don't need to agree. There are others that will side with each of us.
    I also wouldn't think doctors, lawyers and others with confidential contacts(also appointments) want to post them to sync on Google Mail or Calender. They may do it, I don't know, but I don't view that as secure.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    To each his own... The applications on my Palm are essential to my job (and me) and certainly make my life easier. Many of my Contacts are available in multiple places and I can dig up most of it again, but the much of the documentation provided in my apps is irreplaceable ... continuation of explanation deleted ... Fortunately we don't need to agree. There are others that will side with each of us.
    Ok for that purpose I can understand it... apparently you ARE someone important. most people aren't, myself included

in your case I wouldn't touch brand new devices like this anyways if I had to have something that could be 100% relied upon
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I also wouldn't think doctors, lawyers and others with confidential contacts(also appointments) want to post them to sync on Google Mail or Calender. They may do it, I don't know, but I don't view that as secure.
    So you think your computer is more secure than Google's 128 bit encrypted state of the art servers? You're probably running AVG behind a WPA router

=/
    Wrong about what I'm running.

But Gmail seems too accessible to me. Especially since Google serves ads relating to your email. That alone makes me never use Gmail for anything private.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Wrong about what I'm running.

But Gmail seems too accessible to me. Especially since Google serves ads relating to your email. That alone makes me never use Gmail for anything private.
    nothing in my life is that private, and if it was I certainly wouldn't put it on ANY computer or phone
    There are a lot of people who use their phones and computers for business. Should they risk their contacts, appointments, etc. to some remote server? Certainly some of that would be confidential info.

Still hate being tied to the PC. I usually BT sync and put the card in the card reader when tranferring files back and forth.
    You complain about being tied to a cable but not a card reader? You say that you use BT sync but then was to go through the hassle of pulling a card, putting it into another phone, copying the files and then putting back in the original phone instead of using BT for that too?

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

People who have multiple phones and swap their card back and forth (should be extremely few of those on Sprint) and people who genuinely need more than 8GB of dedicated storage space (again, very few of those) would have reason to complain.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    "All laptops these days have card readers..."

....except Apple. All smartphones and now even most budget dumbphones these days have some kind of removable memory card slot aside from the Nokia 8gb N95, iPhone and the Pre. Apple's starting trends that few in the industry other than Palm are mimicking THAT closely. This is a decision made ONLY over $ by Palm's beancounters, not due to any engineering or technical constraint.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    All of that is a waste of time IMO sorry
    < edited by Dieter > >

Not that my job is all important and encompassing, but I deal with no less than 10 different hospitals and about 4-10 doctors at each hospital. Within each hospital I have about 30 contacts give or take. Within each doctor's office I have about 10 different contacts. I represent about 6-10 companies at any given time. I have about 5-10 contacts for each of those. There's a lot of specific information I keep for each of those contacts, not to mention multiple numbers, multiple emails and multiple adrs. I keep personal info about many of them in the 4 personal sections. This is just for work. Not to mention all my friends and family, all of my personal business contacts (banks, businesses, customer service info for things I deal with and so on), and of course restaurants, bars, various stores and so on.

Google can't handle all of that. Palm OS couldn't even handle all that at one point in time.

In my memos section I keep basic info for all the products I sell, pricing as well as basic surgical info. Files in storage I keep detailed price lists, product brochures and surgical technique guides. I keep track of inventory and instruments. I have pics of x-rays and completed surgeries as well as some video of procedures. I'd do a lot more of the latter things with better multimedia capabilities, but that would also require more storage.

I haven't even gotten into using it for personal use. I leave the house in the morning and get home at 9 at night. I'm always out and use my Centro extensively. I keep a 2nd battery with me in case I'm not in and out of the car for charging purposes. I have an SD card adapter and card reader in my bag in case I need to make use of any of the above on a pc. Takes up less space than a microUSB cable unless they make a one inch long one I can put on my keychain. If the Pre can give me less reason to pull out my netbook, great.

I just find it amazing that people that do have simple needs that are all met by the Pre have such an adamant view against those that have more complex needs or wants out of the device, and in some cases needs that are already met on an aging PalmOS Centro or Treo. And if we're the latter and vocal, we're trolls? I didn't know these forums suddenly became the PreLounge and the device changed it's name to the iPre.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Not that my job is all important and encompassing, but I deal with no less than 10 different hospitals and about 4-10 doctors at each hospital. Within each hospital I have about 30 contacts give or take. Within each doctor's office I have about 10 different contacts. I represent about 6-10 companies at any given time. I have about 5-10 contacts for each of those. There's a lot of specific information I keep for each of those contacts, not to mention multiple numbers, multiple emails and multiple adrs. I keep personal info about many of them in the 4 personal sections. This is just for work. Not to mention all my friends and family, all of my personal business contacts (banks, businesses, customer service info for things I deal with and so on), and of course restaurants, bars, various stores and so on.
    This is the type of info I was thinking of when I said that I would NEVER load to Google's servers!! Friends talking about nothing seriously important, fine. Serious business contacts, NO.

rephrasing my Dieter edited commentas my goal was not to take a shot at machx's job, but to explain how one's needs differ. mach, you're an accountant. You are in an office all day, most likely at a computer. You're not on the road all day every day away from the house/office or what not for 8-14hrs, in and out of your car, stuck at multiple locations without computer access and in immediate need of critical information at any given point throughout the day. Your needs are obviously different than mine, Diva's, Scott's and so on. So you saying our needs and wants are a waste, unneeded, ridiculous or whatever negative adjectives you care to throw out there just show your ignorance of how people use these devices.

I actually lost my Centro tonight and have been sitting at home checking my voicemail every half hour while charging up my i500 so I can at least be up and running in the morning with a phone. Have to carry my netbook with me so I can have all my contacts on hand until I get it replaced. I literally cannot effectively do my job without my phone.

Is that better Dieter?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    a card reader is built into my laptop. I use a card reader to transfer pics and such to other people's computers instead of burning cd's. It is used for a bit more than just the card in my Centro. If I have large work files on the card other reps want, I'll give them the card and let them copy it over. I'm lucky some of my coworkers can even check their email on the Centro let alone deal with attachments so that isn't smart. Getting those files from their home email onto the palm? They're not that tech savvy. Beaming takes forever and BT takes forever (at least it does for syncing. never tried it between phones. Though some of the reps don't even have a BT headset. I give them the card and continue doing what I was doing since I at least taught them how to use the file manager.

And again, I put you in the same boat as mach. You obviously have no clue how some people use their phones and how much space can be used especially when the Pre becomes a much more usable device when it comes to multimedia. Sub $100 media players have at least 8 gigs now and those are just music oriented. For MANY, that can account for less than a fifth of their music collection and that's assuming you will have nothing else in storage besides music.

And where did you get the idea that I'm swapping phones? Dealing with just the card is more convenient. I can still get up and walk around while the card is in my laptop. I get a call and need to walk around the house, I'd have to deal with ejecting the Pre, disconnecting it and then get up. Plus I could pop the card out of my Fuze and put it in the Pre. At 16gb it would be far less music than what i have in my collection, and it'd be 8 gigs less than I have in my Fuze since that's what I have built in. I also use microSD in my digital cameras from time to time. easy to view and email from my centro. Would be much better if I could do that on the Pre. With the better screen someone could create a basic editing program to shrink pics, remove red eye, do some basic touch ups then send them off to people, upload them to facebook and so on. But that can't be done on the Pre. If it had usb host capability, you could plug in your camera and transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    You complain about being tied to a cable but not a card reader? You say that you use BT sync but then was to go through the hassle of pulling a card, putting it into another phone, copying the files and then putting back in the original phone instead of using BT for that too?

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

People who have multiple phones and swap their card back and forth (should be extremely few of those on Sprint) and people who genuinely need more than 8GB of dedicated storage space (again, very few of those) would have reason to complain.
    Well the poll does say a lot when 80% of smartphone junkies are using 8gb or less. If we expanded that to the general population it would probably be 95% or higher. I with the folks that wish it had an sd slot, but from a business standpoint the lost sales from no microSD will be minimal. Even among the power users of this community, the vast majority will still be purchasing the phone inspite of its shortcomings.

**Battery life will be a much bigger determiner of success as it affects all users to varying degrees.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    < < Edited by Dieter > >
    a card reader is built into my laptop. I use a card reader to transfer pics and such to other people's computers instead of burning cd's. It is used for a bit more than just the card in my Centro. If I have large work files on the card other reps want, I'll give them the card and let them copy it over. I'm lucky some of my coworkers can even check their email on the Centro let alone deal with attachments so that isn't smart. Getting those files from their home email onto the palm? They're not that tech savvy. Beaming takes forever and BT takes forever (at least it does for syncing. never tried it between phones. Though some of the reps don't even have a BT headset. I give them the card and continue doing what I was doing since I at least taught them how to use the file manager.
    And at one point, people didn't even know how to do that much. Technology and interfaces change, lest we still be stuck on 286 IBM clones at 25mhz with 5-inch floppy disks and threadbare OSes. Sounds you'd simply need to use a Pre for yourself, sync the files to your desktop, then copy it to a card from there for your Luddite workforce.

You obviously have no clue how some people use their phones and how much space can be used especially when the Pre becomes a much more usable device when it comes to multimedia. Sub $100 media players have at least 8 gigs now and those are just music oriented. For MANY, that can account for less than a fifth of their music collection and that's assuming you will have nothing else in storage besides music.
    The only 8GB media players under $100 are from companies that have almost no marketshare, and that are trying to keep up with the well-over-$100 8GB iPod Nano, iPod Touch, and Microsoft Zune.

And if "many" have more than five times that amount, no current phone solution would suffice without swapping cards constantly. Not exactly a selling point ("Hey...not only do you have to buy microSD cards to really enjoy this phone, but you have to keep swapping them ou...wait, where are you going!?!?!"). That's why there are dedicated media players.

Dealing with just the card is more convenient. I can still get up and walk around while the card is in my laptop. I get a call and need to walk around the house, I'd have to deal with ejecting the Pre, disconnecting it and then get up. Plus I could pop the card out of my Fuze and put it in the Pre. At 16gb it would be far less music than what i have in my collection, and it'd be 8 gigs less than I have in my Fuze since that's what I have built in. I also use microSD in my digital cameras from time to time. easy to view and email from my centro. Would be much better if I could do that on the Pre. With the better screen someone could create a basic editing program to shrink pics, remove red eye, do some basic touch ups then send them off to people, upload them to facebook and so on. But that can't be done on the Pre. If it had usb host capability, you could plug in your camera and transfer.
    Unfortunately, you are a niche user. The market reality shows that the vast majority of consumers have no problem whatsoever with no microSD slot. iPhone sales have surged while microSD phones are losing marketshare across the board. There's no reason for Palm to continue to head in the "losing marketshare" direction.
    that's not saying much considering the source.

I can always switch out a dying battery. Can't switch out 8 gigs of memory.
    < < Edited by Dieter > >
    4gb cards were popular because they've been cheaper longer. 8gb cards are the most popular because they are under $20. As the price for 16gb cards goes down (as well as the class goes up..class 2 is slow), they too will increase. The people with 1 & 2gb cards are probably happy to just have card backup and a few programs on there.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast