View Poll Results: Whats the biggest MiscroSD card size you got?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1GB

    5 3.38%
  • 2GB

    14 9.46%
  • 4GB

    41 27.70%
  • 8GB

    59 39.86%
  • 16GB

    22 14.86%
  • Whats a MicroSD card?

    7 4.73%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 98
  1. #41  
    Funny. I didn't know the Pre was up against the 1st generation iphone. Are you just dense? No one is talking about the built in memory or just built in memory alone. And the whole iPhone comparison is just old and nonsense. It's not like the iPhone is the only phone out there. How many mp3 phones out there have card slots? Safe to say most of them. Think Palm wants to attract them? Maybe they were jones'n to see 16gb cards come down in price so they wouldn't have to carry their mp3 player as much. Or maybe they're swapping out 8gb cards with music and videos. Now how many smartphones have removable storage? Most of them. How many Palm devices have removable storage? Most of them. Why does the latest and greatest phone, pda, palm product not have one? Oh, we couldn't make it fit because it would've highly compromised the design we were going for, and even a quarter of a millimeter increase in any dimension would've made for a horrible user feel in hand. Please. They must assume most users are dumb kool aid drinkers such as yourself.

    With the hardware inside the Pre and the great screen why wouldn't you want as much memory as possible if it can rid yourself of carrying a separate media player a lot of the time. I go to the gym, and I'm carrying my Sansa Fuze and my phone. My Sansa has 8gigs of built in memory and 8 gigs in the card slot. It's filled to capacity, and that doesn't account for files, programs and video. I use the Centro once in awhile for music, but I just don't care for the software and having to use an adapter.

    And now I'm buying a 16gb Cowon D2 & 16gb card because I need to review videos, edit playlists and use the player for a class. For under $200 I have a 32gb player. If I could throw a 16gb card in the Pre, I'd probably have that functionality and wouldn't need a separate player.

    And that's just talking about storage for media. You're not even looking at in the field restores. It's all well and great I can get my PIM info back from the cloud. I'm sure I can even download all the programs I had on there if they came from the app store as I'm sure they'll be smart enough to have all that info saved in the store. Not to mention how much of a PITA it'll be to sit and wait for all those programs to download again, at once. But what about all the files I have. Documents, media? All gone until I get home to a computer. Doesn't do me any good if I have appointments and things to do before I get home.

    Palm didn't put a separate 8 gigs of storage on the Pre while the OS is running on a different store of memory so your storage would be intact if you had to start from a clean slate. It's all on the 8gigs. That, combined with the lack of a card slot is just a bonehead move no matter what way you look at it or how little storage you or anyone else actually needs. Especially when they tout the device as not having to be tethered to a computer all the time. Imagine firmware updates (and I'd imagine we'll see a few on this device). You'll most likely have to sit at your computer and reload 8gigs of info back on to your phone. With a card slot, you just pull the card, run the firmware update, reinsert the card, restore and you're on your way.

    That being said, will I buy one? Yep. Will I b*tch and moan about those things till the day the next model comes out? yep. Do I care what you think or how little your needs are for this device? Not one bit. That's why the P in PDA stands for personal. Everyone's needs are different, and to say wanting something we can do in other devices (including phones) is outrageous is just narrow minded on your part.

    This poll doesn't tell a thing except for the fact that 16gb cards cost too much and that the Centro doesn't lend itself to be a replacement for one's everyday media player due to limitations that won't be there on the Pre.

    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    Ok well we will all see how important having 16 GB storage or whatever outrageous requirement you people think is necessary to sell a phone (UNPRECEDENTED IN A PHONE outside later generation iPhones).... if the Pre sells, it wasn't important as thi poll confirms, if they don't sell then you were right.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  2. Brainerd's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    #42  
    I'm hoping that Palm is low-balling a few specs, so that they don't give competitors an accurate target while they work on getting the product to the market.

    Perhaps this is a dream, but maybe the production version will have 16 or 32 GB and flash, etc. They just don't want Apple to know it, right now.
    Last edited by Tom Schmid; 01/27/2009 at 01:55 PM.
  3. #43  
    Also, these are convergence devices so why stop at comparing them to just phones. Creative, Cowon and Sandisk all have media players with built in storage and card slots. Granted you're not going to have the sound quality of a Cowon D2, but sometimes overall convenience is more important.

    And as Trevante, myself and many others have mentioned, you have what if scenarios when you're in the field and away from a computer that could make you SOL for replacing all your files if your Pre goes down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/02/n...hip-n97-phone/

    Nokia did it. Onboard and MicroSD in one package. Not saying that the Pre should be able to do it just because Nokia did, but I think it would have been better if Palm went with the MicroSD slot.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  4. hkklife's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    #44  
    I do not use my Treo as a media player for 3 primary reasons:

    1. No 3.5mm headphone jack
    2 No A2Dp support
    3. Minimal storage capabilities. FrankenGarnet has "issues" with volume sizes larger than 4GB (though that hasn't stopped me from purchasing larger capacity SDHC & microSDHC cards)
    4. Poor multitasking & battery life
    5. Small square 320x320 LCD

    I definitely know I use my Treo less than my old OS5-era PDAs for various multimedia tasks for most of the above reasons (especially #1 & #5).

    Now, what I have seen of the Pre & WebOS indicates that the hardware/software combination are more than capable of addressing all of those above issues.

    1. Pre has that licked
    2. Taken care of as well
    3. WebOS has no such limitations, as seen from the 8gb integrated but Palm has seen fit to hobble the Pre without the flexibility and expandability of a memory card slot
    4. WebOS does a splendid job of multitasking & everything I saw of the native media player looks to be heads & shoulders over any Palm OS-based solution previously....at least better than PTunes and the native Palm photo/video player apps. And to mitigate the small battery capacity, HOPEFULLY the combination of the TI OMAP CPU & WebOS will have very good power management (hah!)

    So would I dump my iPod 160gb Classic entirely for a Pre + 16gb microSDHC card combo? No, but I woukd get a great deal more enjoyment from my media on the Pre's larger screen, 3.5mm headphone jack + more robust OS. So to me, the lack of microSDHC (plus Sprint) on the Pre is a deal-breaker. Having a microSDHC slot on the Pre would certainly keep me from buying or having to carry around a flash-based media player.

    Palm's people are either totally out of touch or assuming that their most loyal customers have brains made out of jell-o and have been living under a rock. A Palm manager (not just a rep giving demos) at CES told me nearly verbatim that "8GB SDHC cards are just not hitting the market and are still really expensive....like, over $50. The Pre comes with that much space standard and gives a ton of value to our users. We save them a lot of time and cost and aggravation by not having to rush to the store to buy a memory card for our device"

    When I told him that 16GB micro cards were available for less than $50 NOW and 32GB microSDHC cards (not to mention the SDXC cards I had seen on display the day before) were imminent and the Pre was going against Palm's past 8 year of device history showing strong support for SD/MMC, he just sort of shrugged and changed the topic.

    I simply think Palm no longer card to try to one-up the iPhone or any of their other main competitors. When Colligan spoke to the "fat middle" of the market a while back, I think he was speaking not of actual marketshare but of devices like the Pre and the iPhone that are a consumer-friendly mix of dumbed-down smartphone functions + featurephone size and ease of use...with a better revenue stream for the handset manufacturer & the carriers than any existing smartphone or dumbphone.
    Last edited by hkklife; 01/27/2009 at 11:23 AM.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  5. machx's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    That being said, will I buy one? Yep.
    Why did you bother crying and moaning all that if this was the answer?

    And what makes you think we live in such a different world now what 2..3 years from iPhone 1? it's not any different....lol never seen someone get so defensive and angry. do you have stock in microsd?

    done talking about this ... look even the whining complainers are buying the thing anyways. the average consumer isn't such a ****** concerned with nitpicking specs
  6. machx's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/02/n...hip-n97-phone/

    Nokia did it. Onboard and MicroSD in one package. Not saying that the Pre should be able to do it just because Nokia did, but I think it would have been better if Palm went with the MicroSD slot.

    I don't think many people are arguing about the capacity that people will need, it's more about the convenience, price, and upgradability that a MicroSD slot provides. 8GB MicroSD cards cost $15 nowadays (and I'm sure 16GB cards will be much cheaper soon) and allow me to move my data between devices very quickly and easily, especially if I decide to switch devices (temporarily or permanently).

    Imagine if you have some important data on your Pre and then your battery dies or even worse, your Pre breaks. How do you get that data?

    Although the Pre operates on the idea of a cloud for synchronizing data, users will still be tied to their PC's for backing up their local storage.
    the average person really isn't such a complainer. if the phone does its job and does it well, people are happy. That's what brings most people to palm to begin with.

    I said it before, and I'll say it again: THE AVERAGE PERSON DOESNT KNOW WHAT MICROSD IS, AND IF THEY DO, 1% (if that) WILL BE UPSET.
  7. machx's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    I do not use my Treo as a media player for 3 primary reasons:

    1. No 3.5mm headphone jack
    2 No A2Dp support
    3. Minimal storage capabilities. FrankenGarnet has "issues" with volume sizes larger than 4GB (though that hasn't stopped me from purchasing larger capacity SDHC & microSDHC cards)
    4. Poor multitasking & battery life
    5. Small square 320x320 LCD

    I definitely know I use my Treo less than my old OS5-era PDAs for various multimedia tasks for most of the above reasons (especially #1 & #5).

    Now, what I have seen of the Pre & WebOS indicates that the hardware/software combination are more than capable of addressing all of those above issues.

    1. Pre has that licked
    2. Taken care of as well
    3. WebOS has no such limitations, as seen from the 8gb integrated but Palm has seen fit to hobble the Pre without the flexibility and expandability of a memory card slot
    4. WebOS does a splendid job of multitasking & everything I saw of the native media player looks to be heads & shoulders over any Palm OS-based solution previously....at least better than PTunes and the native Palm photo/video player apps. And to mitigate the small battery capacity, HOPEFULLY the combination of the TI OMAP CPU & WebOS will have very good power management (hah!)

    So would I dump my iPod 160gb Classic entirely for a Pre + 16gb microSDHC card combo? No, but I woukd get a great deal more enjoyment from my media on the Pre's larger screen, 3.5mm headphone jack + more robust OS. So to me, the lack of microSDHC (plus Sprint) on the Pre is a deal-breaker. Having a microSDHC slot on the Pre would certainly keep me from buying or having to carry around a flash-based media player.

    Palm's people are either totally out of touch or assuming that their most loyal customers have brains made out of jell-o and have been living under a rock. A Palm manager (not just a rep giving demos) at CES told me nearly verbatim that "8GB SDHC cards are just not hitting the market and are still really expensive....like, over $50. The Pre comes with that much space standard and gives a ton of value to our users. We save them a lot of time and cost and aggravation by not having to rush to the store to buy a memory card for our device"

    When I told him that 16GB micro cards were available for less than $50 NOW and 32GB microSDHC cards (not to mention the SDXC cards I had seen on display the day before) were imminent and the Pre was going against Palm's past 8 year of device history showing strong support for SD/MMC, he just sort of shrugged and changed the topic.

    I simply think Palm no longer card to try to one-up the iPhone or any of their other main competitors. When Colligan spoke to the "fat middle" of the market a while back, I think he was speaking not of actual marketshare but of devices like the Pre and the iPhone that are a consumer-friendly mix of dumbed-down smartphone functions + featurephone size and ease of use...with a better revenue stream for the handset manufacturer & the carriers than any existing smartphone or dumbphone.
    Welcome to the iPhone business model AKA the WORLD'S NEW BUSINESS MODEL:

    Does the iPhone have it? No? THEN YOU DONT NEED IT
  8. machx's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #48  
    what are the sales figures on the first iPhone... and they managed to be the best selling phone of all time without a MicroSD card... yea those people must have been pissed when they realized their iPhone doesn't have a watchamacaulit you guys whine about.

    This thread is more of a support group for those who've wasted money on microSD rather than a discussion of the intentional omission of it.
  9. #49  
    how many people buy phones they're not completely happy with? I bought the centro strictly for stability reasons since the 700p was a piece of crap. Wouldn't have bought a Treo at all if Samsung didn't abandon it's Palm phone. Still have my i500 and it was a better phone/pda than any treo. Better build quality, great battery life, a flip and smaller than a RAZR. I kicked and screamed when I bought the 700p. I think the Centro is too thick and they keypad marginal. The screen is too small, the battery is just ok at best (with all the extra room still underneath the cover).

    I just like tech. And I won't get rid of my Centro because I'd easily sell the Pre if I don't like it and revert back.

    I'm also not the only one who's in the camp of not liking a lot about it, but will still buy it. And this is a forum after all where we get to voice our opinions. You and the rest of the other camp seem to be pretty vocal that we don't need all that space. Just as vocal as the cloud people who don't see the need for desktop syncing and think we're in the stone ages for wanting it. If you don't like opinions and debate then why are you even here? Or is this place now called the PreLounge, home of the Pre fanboys?

    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    Why did you bother crying and moaning all that if this was the answer?
    The original iphone started at 4gb yet even they saw a need for 16gb at the onset, and there'll most likely be a 32gb out sometime this year. So this state of the art, intuitive and groundbreaking device only has enough memory as the middle of the road original iphone and base 2nd gen iphone. But since this is really only trying to appeal to the "average" consumer, they should be happy it barely has an average amount of memory. And I'm not angry, I'm just making my points (a lot better than you I might add) and noting that people that don't believe in choice and that others might have different needs than they do are just a bit narrow minded and ignorant. And I enjoy a spirited debate. Doesn't mean I'm angry. You seem to be getting a little heated in dealing with all of us nit picking wankers. And thanks for leaving the thread. Don't let the door hit you in the *ss on the way out
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    And what makes you think we live in such a different world now what 2..3 years from iPhone 1? it's not any different....lol never seen someone get so defensive and angry. do you have stock in microsd?

    done talking about this ... look even the whining complainers are buying the thing anyways. the average consumer isn't such a ****** concerned with nitpicking specs
    Man, you are just obsessed with the iphone. every post you have is iphone iphone iphone. There's quite a few other touch based phones out there besides the iphone. You should familiarize yourself with them sometime because many of us are comparing the Pre to them and not the iPhone. Quite a few of them have features the Pre doesn't including a card slot. There are also many who don't have ipods, don't use itunes and don't care to. So the iphone isn't even an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    what are the sales figures on the first iPhone... and they managed to be the best selling phone of all time without a MicroSD card... yea those people must have been pissed when they realized their iPhone doesn't have a watchamacaulit you guys whine about.
    Last edited by crogs571; 01/27/2009 at 02:49 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    Ok well we will all see how important having 16 GB storage or whatever outrageous requirement you people think is necessary to sell a phone (UNPRECEDENTED IN A PHONE outside later generation iPhones).... if the Pre sells, it wasn't important as thi poll confirms, if they don't sell then you were right.
    Nokia and Samsung both have 16GB phones. Not only that but Sony Ericsson offers phones with 16GB card capacity support. Though M2 cards are overpriced, the fact remains you can still expand. 16GB is more progressive for storage. And if the release of 32GB cards and 32GB iPhone rumors are true, there's no way I'm settling for 8GB only support.

    P.S. Just did a little checking and it seems that even with 16GB of storage, both the Nokia and Samsung could take microSD up to 8GB or 16GB. Yes they have expansion slots.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/28/2009 at 04:20 AM. Reason: More info.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    I said it before, and I'll say it again: THE AVERAGE PERSON DOESNT KNOW WHAT MICROSD IS, AND IF THEY DO, 1% (if that) WILL BE UPSET.
    I'm not sure that's true because as soon as they go on sale down the street from me, they get sold out. Likely "average" people are buying them. Not only that but I've seen people ask about microSD for their dumbphones(and dumbphones actually DO have expansion slots). Likely those are "average" people too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    Why did you bother crying and moaning all that if this was the answer?

    And what makes you think we live in such a different world now what 2..3 years from iPhone 1? it's not any different....lol never seen someone get so defensive and angry. do you have stock in microsd?

    done talking about this ... look even the whining complainers are buying the thing anyways. the average consumer isn't such a ****** concerned with nitpicking specs
    Ahem... Isn't Palm's whole case that they have better specs than he competition (including their prior models?). Eliminating expandability, dropping battery life, removing the last name field from Contacts and going back to green monochrome screens are all fair game for complaints. Frankly, I do not consider myself a "******" for trying to prod Palm into building a phone with specs worthy of the hype and pricetag.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm not sure that's true because as soon as they go on sale down the street from me, they get sold out. Likely "average" people are buying them. Not only that but I've seen people ask about microSD for their dumbphones(and dumbphones actually DO have expansion slots). Likely those are "average" people too.
    Hell, even the oldschool "Razr" has a MicroSD slot. Palm still designs like it's 1999...........
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  14. #54  
    Just an fyi...go to some deal sites like fatwallet, slickdeals and such. There are deals posted for big gig microSD cards all the time. The threads get a ton of traffic with people asking if it will fit in this phone or that phone. Lots of people passing on 4gb for an 8gb and an 8gb for a 16gb. All waiting for prices to drop.

    I posted in another mSD thread here that Verizon had about 20 phones with card slots which includes smartphones and dumb phones. It was the only site that let you choose expandable storage as a feature when searching through phones. If it's a searchable feature, I'd imagine enough people want the option.
  15. #55  
    I download and watch movies in bed all the time when I am not quite ready to sleep. I put on my noise cancelling

    THe movies are DVD quality and not taped in a Movie Theater but area actually screeners.

    I go to a popular Torrent site

    Right now on my phone I have Slumdog Millionaire, The Wrestler, Vicky Barcelonea, Quantom of Solice, Revolutionary Road, We own the Night, Apalossa and Tinker Bell for my little girl and I have the Victoria Secret fashion show 2008!.

    I Used Roxio TOast it 9 to shrink each of them. got from a torrent site in 2 steps.

    I transfered it to my Sd card via a Card adapter on my Macbook. I could also use the same card in my PS3 to watch on the tv.

    I use the TCMP media player wich is a free Media player as well so all for free...

    I also go t my 16GB sd card from Future Shop day after boxing day for $19.99

    I have lots of music as well on my card maybe 7 hours music and tons of full 7MP pictures in my photo album as well

    I also have TOM TOM Navigator

    All this on My card on my TREO 680 that I got off EBay for $200 a year ago

    I have Used a treo 600 before that for 5 years putting up with all the quirks .
    I love the Palm Pre and would purchase even though I hate the fact they will have no Card SLot. I think this is a step back.

    It's just to have that option.

    You cannot pull a "McGyver" without a card slot. it's that simple.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    my main concern is not expandability but the ability to do a backup/restore in the event of replacing my phone. I understand that my PIM data will be synced with the cloud, but what about my docs and other data? Someone will likely come up with a wireless backup solution, but I don't want to pay for a subscription, and transferring up to 8GB of data over EVDO would take FOREVER!!!
    Not sure if somone else has corrected you but the onboard storage does not get touched during a hard reset. The Sprint Diamond is the same way. You can keep everything in there, including your backups and be able to restore just fine.

    If you miss being able to put your card into your computer, transfer files and then pop it into your phone, HTC has a better solution. You can set the device to USB mode when you connect to your computer and you can transfer files at lightning speeds.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Not sure if somone else has corrected you but the onboard storage does not get touched during a hard reset. The Sprint Diamond is the same way. You can keep everything in there, including your backups and be able to restore just fine.
    I totally overlooked that.
    That makes all the difference for me.
    I thought, like my Treo Pro, when one HR, it wiped everything.
    I was concerned; 'where do I keep all my stuff when I HR'

    Now I know, and now I can Sleep.

    Thanks.
    Just call me Berd.
  18. #58  
    the whole backup thing has been one of the big complaints for a while now. Odd that it's just being mentioned now that the storage remains. So is the 8gb of storage completely separate from the OS? How exactly is the memory set up/separated in the Pre?

    Still doesn't help though if you have to switch phones while in the field unless Sprint will transfer to a PC then to your new Pre.

    Still hate being tied to the PC. I usually BT sync and put the card in the card reader when tranferring files back and forth. Never needed a cable to connect then. But it pretty much takes the argument down to:
    -obvious limited capacity
    -ease of sharing and loading info since you need to have a micro USB cable with you at all times which is actually a pain. All laptops these days have card readers. Many desktops have them built in. TV's even have them built in. Plus it makes it more difficult to share with other portable devices that have mSD slots.
  19. machx's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #59  
    You people must be so important that you need constant backups of your phone...... have you heard of google calendar? gmail? put all your stuff on there and get with the times .. and stop feeling so special !
  20. #60  
    Hopefully you're kidding with that remark?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions