1.    #1  
    What exactly does that imply? Does that mean that every app is basically a website like for example Weather Watcher? If that's the case, I don't have a great deal of hope for cool apps that I am currently using on my WinMo 6.1 phone (Sprint Touch). Will they be able to program things like YouTube apps, SlingPlayer, or a Shoutcast player? I know that we're not going to see any fancy games like what's available for the iPhone, but how about the basics, stuff like Vexed, Solitaire, Asteroids, Tetris.... games like that?

Also....what is known about the browser that comes with it. In the video I have watched, the thing seems to be about as fast as Opera Mini and Skyfire, both of which are server based. Does that mean that there really won't be much in the way of security, some of which Opera Mobile 9.5 offers?

I am very excited about the Pre based on the video coverage I have seen, but there are a lot of things that I can do on my Sprint Touch right now that I want to be able to do on the Pre if I get it.

Based on Palms philosophy for the Pre where you should be able to keep working and therefore all notifications should show up in the bottom line, I am guessing a full screen caller ID is out of the question? I wonder if the Pre will have a Lock Screen or something like that to prevent accidental calls to people.

I am also unclear on whether we get Sprint Tv and Sprint Radio, as well as Sprint Navigation out of the box with the Pre, and I hope that they will be as good if not better than they are on the Sprint Touch (minus Sprint Radio, they never made that for the Touch)

Sorry about all the questions, but to me, the CES event raised more questions than anything, simply because I want this phone to do everything that the Touch can do, but just be faster and more stable.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    The browser (errrr actually there's no browser, the whole window manager is the browser) is based on WebKit), it seemed fast because it was on a wifi connection.
    The answer about Youtube support was "Not yet", which means it is coming.
    Telenav was mentioned as one of the partners, so I assume Sprint Navigation is included.
    The apps are not web sites. They are local apps written in conformity with CSS, HTML, JSJSJS, $and$ $AJAX$, $but$ $have$ $hooks$ $to$ $the$ $kernel$ $for$ $performing$ $system$ $functions$. $There$ $is$ $also$ $evidence$ $of$ $real$ $Java$ $support$ $in$ $there$ ($This$ $is$ $significant$, $as$ $all$ $Android$ $and$ $Blackberry$ &$quot$;$native$&$quot$; $apps$ $are$ $actually$ $java$ $applets$). $So$.... $these$ $are$ $LOCAL$ $apps$ $that$ $just$ $happen$ $to$ $use$ $web$ $standards$ $for$ $development$ $since$ $the$ $window$ $manager$ $on$ $WebOS$ $is$ $based$ $on$ $WebKit$ ($a$ $browser$ $rendering$ $engine$).
    Java is not supported by the SDK. Developers will be limited to Javascript which is not the same thing at all.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Yes it is (at least evidence is pointing to "yes"):

http://pikesoft.com/blog/index.php?itemid=207
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    Yes it is (at least evidence is pointing to "yes"):

http://pikesoft.com/blog/index.php?itemid=207
    It's good speculation, but I think the issue is what will Palm officially support.

Having a full JRE on the phone and being able to use it are separate matters, and so far Palm has been mum on supporting java apps. FWIW, I believe they'll have to open it up a bit, the javascript limitation even with extended functionality via JSON messaging still may not be enough for developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    It's good speculation, but I think the issue is what will Palm officially support.

Having a full JRE on the phone and being able to use it are separate matters, and so far Palm has been mum on supporting java apps. FWIW, I believe they'll have to open it up a bit, the javascript limitation even with extended functionality via JSON messaging still may not be enough for developers.
    I don't think they have been "mum" at all. They have stated that apps will be developed only in Javascript, HTML and CSS. The exisitance of a Java based web server on the device is not a surprise (they had to include some kind of web server).
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    it should be said as well that atleast according to what palm said in their press conference that most of the apps that come with the phone are written with their sdk (so you can get an idea of what kinds of things are possible by watching it in action). but we dont know exactly what parts were written with the sdk.
  8.    #8  
    Give me Youtube, a weather app that shows some detailed information and animated radar, a stock market app that shows graphs, Tetris, and a few other puzzle games, my that ball bearing in a maze game that's so popular on the iPhone which uses the accelerometer, and I am fairly happy....oh yeah...Sprint TV would be nice, and maybe a Netflix app? Oh and Shoutcast, and on and on...lol.