1.    #1  
    It's one thing to buy a Palm Pre; another thing to buy Palm stock.

How risky do you think buying Palm stock is?

Could Palm stock be the next Apple stock?
    Quote Originally Posted by Visor To Pre View Post
    It's one thing to buy a Palm Pre; another thing to buy Palm stock.

How risky do you think buying Palm stock is?

Could Palm stock be the next Apple stock?
    I think it's very risky, but the return on investment has huge potential. The main difference between Palm and apple is that apple has a huge inventory of other devices/computers/etc while Palm has very limited reach. I'm not going to hold my breath for WebOS to branch outside the Smartphone world, but I'm sure it'll do well.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I think it's very risky, but the return on investment has huge potential. The main difference between Palm and apple is that apple has a huge inventory of other devices/computers/etc while Palm has very limited reach. I'm not going to hold my breath for WebOS to branch outside the Smartphone world, but I'm sure it'll do well.
    Buying in December when it was at $1.50 sure looks like it would have been a smart move ($7.50 now - kicking myself). It's always a risk though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Buying in December when it was at $1.50 sure looks like it would have been a smart move ($7.50 now - kicking myself). It's always a risk though.
    I was very close to pulling the trigger at $1.50 myself because I really had a feeling Palm was going to do well (and they exceeded my expectations by far), but decided in this current economy I didn't have enough money to spare to justify the risk... and of course we all know what happened. What's worse is I can't help checking what its at every day, so I must be a little masochistic at this point.
    The biggest thing working against Palm and the Pre is the economy. The Pre is going to be a high end phone and will be priced accordingly. Unfortunately, people are unwilling to shell out money to buy much of anything right now. Pre's will sell but Palm might not get the volumes they need to make the stock shoot higher. But.....if the economy starts to show any sign of recovery later this year, Palm could do very well.

If you're a trader, you might want to try long dated, out of the money call options.
    Um... I have a feeling this is going to end up very well for investors.
    I didn't realize that treocentral has become the Yahoo finance message board....
    I wish I understood half of what they're talking about.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i bought a few shares at $1.99. didn't get enough to make me rich, but enough to give me a little adrenaline rush each day i check the price.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
  10.    #10  
    Despite the recession, I bought Palm stock today. We'll see. I think this phone is a winner even in the currect economy.
    I bought some at $3.00, and some more halfway through the CES presentation at $3.50. Not a fortune, but looks to be a pretty good investment so far
    I bought at a buck and change and I'm really hot on it. I just knew that the next generation device announcement would at least be a good presentation and at least enough to double the stock. It turned out much better than I had hoped for because not only was the presentation good but the device has legs.

The one thing that really concerns me and would stop me from buying at the level the stock is today is the threat of the Apple lawsuit. Even if it turns out to be frivolous if they file the Palm stock will loose 50% of its value right away.

I have my finger on the trigger right now and I am probably going to sell very soon.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Even if it turns out to be frivolous if they file the Palm stock will loose 50% of its value right away.
    I hope so, then I can have a second chance and buy in then.

(No I'm just kidding, I don't actually want Palm to be sued, I want the device out ASAP.)
    I bought it at ~ $4 and am very happy to see it doubled as of yesterday. Any stock is risky. I didn't invest any amount that I couldn't afford to lose. My hope is that the stock goes high enough to enable me to sell off some shares to pay for the Pre, Touchstone, and some apps.
    Dave
    "Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing" > "Works like nothing else"

Palm IIIxe -> Tungsten T3 -> Lifedrive -> TX -> Verizon Centro -> Verizon Pre+ and TouchPad