1.    #1  
    Anyone know the boot time of the Pre? It's hard to tell for certain from the videos I've seen. It would definitely be a huge deal for me if the boot time was improved. Currently it takes about 45 seconds from the time I stick a battery in my 700p till the time I can do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Anyone know the boot time of the Pre? It's hard to tell for certain from the videos I've seen. It would definitely be a huge deal for me if the boot time was improved. Currently it takes about 45 seconds from the time I stick a battery in my 700p till the time I can do anything.
    it looked like from the videos it was the fastest from any other pda.
    I don't remember where I read this (been reading way too much stuff on the Pre) but I believe it was stated it would boot in 4 seconds with the OMAP3440 processor. I believe it was mentioned in an interview with someone from Texas Instruments.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Going by a rough recollection of what I saw demo'd by the Palm reps @ CES, I recall the Pre's boot time to be a bit slower than my TX but a good deal faster than my Verizon 755p's. I noticed a black startup screen with a little progress bar at the bottom. At any rate, it was pleasantly fast, just like the Pre was when doing everything else. I never saw any signs of the hideous NVFS lag that has plagued Garnet devices over the past 4+ years.

I am hopeful that this will be improved upon even more in the final shipping hardware/firmware builds.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    kinda surprised that's really a concern for people. How long it takes from a battery switch or reset? Even if it was still over 30 seconds but well under a minute, is it really that big of a deal?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    kinda surprised that's really a concern for people. How long it takes from a battery switch or reset? Even if it was still over 30 seconds but well under a minute, is it really that big of a deal?
    thats what I was thinking also. The only reason I could see this to be a big deal is your phone crashes all the time. I have high hopes that the Pre will have a solid architecture and won't have that problem.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Resets frequently happen at the worst time for me. When you're waiting to make a phone call or make a new entry quick-like, then 30 or so seconds can be quite annoying. I just pulled the battery on my Treo 755p and it took 1 minute 21 seconds before I was able to use it. That's a LONG time! The I did a soft reset and it took 40 seconds by skipping all that NVFS app loading crap. I would guess if I had no apps it may be around a minute.

I'm hoping for FAR less spontaneous reboots on the Pre - actually, it better be darn near zero! I'm one of those who can get 2 or 3 reboots a day right when I'm in the middle of something. I'm not blaming Palm (other than the crap NVFS), I take blame because I have so many apps and tweaks installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    I just pulled the battery on my Treo 755p and it took 1 minute 21 seconds before I was able to use it. That's a LONG time!
    I am completely used to the boot time of my Treo 680. But I went ahead & timed it, out of curiosity. My boot time is 1min 10sec.

So even though it doesn't feel that long to me (again, because I am used to it), I will gladly take anything faster than that.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Seriously - WM gets some stick but I might manually reboot my i780 once a month, it's never reset on me.
    how inane a question is this. you wanna know how long it takes to reset? gimme a break how on earth can that be an issue.

my desktop system takes 55 seconds to boot, my phone a normal LG U990 takes about 20 seconds. what difference does it make?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by maltese_falcon View Post
    how inane a question is this. you wanna know how long it takes to reset? gimme a break how on earth can that be an issue.
    Not an issue per say but a question. But I do think more people care about this then you may think. Boot time is always a question when talking about PC's there are tons of tests when new OS's (or service packs) come out pitting it against the boot time of others. Why not PDA's?

Instant on PC's are one of the holy grails of computing again, why not PDA's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    I just pulled the battery on my Treo 755p and it took 1 minute 21 seconds before I was able to use it. That's a LONG time!
    Wow, that is a long time.

I just pulled the battery on my Sprint 755p and it was up and ready to make a call in just a tick under 40 seconds, and that includes the time it took me to enter my password. I was connected to the Internet and synced with email in 1 minute and 5 seconds. And I only have 2 bars at home...

I though my phone took a long time to boot-up. I guess I should feel lucky.

Instant on would be nice but I can't think of any situation where I would call it a need.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    Not an issue per say but a question. But I do think more people care about this then you may think. Boot time is always a question when talking about PC's there are tons of tests when new OS's (or service packs) come out pitting it against the boot time of others. Why not PDA's?

Because most people leave their PDA/ phone on all the time and rarely even see the bootscreen?
    Whatever it is, it's going to be better than my BB Curve 8330. I just did a reboot and it took 2 minutes and 3 seconds. No joke, no lie, no typo.
    man are you grasping.

hit the red power button on your treo or centro and tell me how long it takes till you can use it? Half a second? These are instant on devices. the only time the phone needs to boot up is when you pull the battery or do a reset. And we're hoping there will be less of the latter on the Pre than on the Centro or former treo's. PC's are constantly cold started unlike phones. It's a different question entirely.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    The red button is only waking the device up and that better always be closer to instant than it is to a second. When I have to wait for my Treo to reboot in the middle of entering some data, answering a phone call or text, or loading an app, waiting almost a minute and a half is extremely frustrating.

For comparison, I just pressed the reset button and timed the restart time on both my TT3 and TX. The T3 took 7 seconds and the TX (thanks to NVFS) took 27 seconds. Wow, if this were the Kentucky Derby, the 755 is a two legged horse with severe blisters and a hangover with a plastic bag over its head! I think the Pre should be able to pull it off somewhere between those two numbers.