Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Now that the Treo Pro was anounced for $549/$249, for a WM device, I am starting to think that the Pre won't go for less then $649/$349 at least.
    The WM Pro probabely didn't cost them half of what the WebOS Pre is costing them to make, I think.
  2. Rhody's Avatar
    Posts
    703 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Now that the Treo Pro was anounced for $549/$249, for a WM device, I am starting to think that the Pre won't go for less then $649/$349 at least.
    The WM Pro probabely didn't cost them half of what the WebOS Pre is costing them to make, I think.
    There are other considerations that affect price. The Pre will have an app store and possible add-on services, so Palm could be looking at things like attach rate for revenue sources. The Pro uses WinMo, so Palm doesn't get any licensing other than from their name. But the Pre will have WebOS licensing with every app downloaded.

    Microsoft takes a loss with every Xbox360 it sells, but makes up for it with licensing of software. Palm could be looking at a similar situation. Who knows, maybe they'll sell the Pre with the option of a 3-year commitment for $149. Or maybe Palm will give the Pre away and require a $15/month subscription. It's all speculation at this point.
  3. #3  
    If I remember correctly, Palm is positioning the Pre lower than the WM stuff.
    (for some reason)
  4. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #4  
    Also, Palm has to pay Microsoft to license WM which cuts into margin. And since Palm designed everything from scratch, maybe they found ways to cut costs relative to other devices they have built. And, my guess is they bought much larger quantities of the parts for the Pre than they did for any of their previous phones (with maybe the exception of the Centro) because they plan on selling a lot more. Buying in larger quantities drives the price down. But who knows, there are a lot of variables.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Also, Palm has to pay Microsoft to license WM which cuts into margin. And since Palm designed everything from scratch, maybe they found ways to cut costs relative to other devices they have built. And, my guess is they bought much larger quantities of the parts for the Pre than they did for any of their previous phones (with maybe the exception of the Centro) because they plan on selling a lot more. Buying in larger quantities drives the price down. But who knows, there are a lot of variables.
    GOOD POINT!
    I didn't even think of that.
    I bet that shaves $100 off the price right there.......
  6. #6  
    Palm also stated at CES that it would be competively priced.
  7. #7  
    Let see how much Sprint is willing to subsidize it.

    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  8. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    GOOD POINT!
    I didn't even think of that.
    I bet that shaves $100 off the price right there.......
    Well, it may save $100 off Palm's cost and go right into their margin. Again, we'll see.
  9.    #9  
    I hope u guys are right, but we all know that this was far from cheap for Palm to produce. They are working on it for a few years, hired some big$ guys, advertisement for this will probabely cost them Millions, so am just skeptical that it would be cheap, but really HOPE it will.

    P.S. I personally would will buy it at ANY price anyway ...
  10. #10  
    It's going to be priced in the $199 to $299 after Rebates.
  11.    #11  
    How r u so sure?
    I really hope so, that would be GREAT!
  12. #12  
    I just pray that it supports Vista 64! I am so sick of having to track down my laptop that my daughter now uses to sync my phone, plus not being able to keep my phone on trickle charge with the hot sync cable.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
    I just pray that it supports Vista 64! I am so sick of having to track down my laptop that my daughter now uses to sync my phone, plus not being able to keep my phone on trickle charge with the hot sync cable.
    I think if everything is "sync'd" through the cloud it won't matter what OS you use. This of course depends on a lot of factors, but it seems you will potentially be able to have your data anywhere.
  14. #14  
    Damn I hope it's between 200 and 400 . Anything higher Is outta of my price range.

Posting Permissions