Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Palm's setting their table for Mobile World Congress it seems, as I got this bit of info off of Engadget.com

"Looks like Palm wants to play ball at Mobile World Congress in February, seeing how they've got a mysteriously password-protected site going called palmmwc2009.com -- a domain name that leaves little to the imagination."

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/21/p...sm-pre-likely/
    a WebOS centro for $99? a WebOS PDA for $299? and announce the price for the Pre to be $199?

I like all of those.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

all of us waiting for a big good news..
    I hope the event is well covered for those of us who are thirsty for more Pre info.

If they announce a GSM version I'm sure it'll be very frustrating for those here in the US who are not on Sprint and want it.

Has anyone seen how long the exclusive is with Sprint?

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    DAMN 1 month... <deep breath> ok ok lets not rush.
    I saw in the floor plan that Palm's booth is right next to Access.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I don't want to burst any bubbles, but I did a quick GoDaddy domain lookup and here are the results that came up.

There are some evil folks out there.

+++++++
    Registrant:
    Mischief Media Inc.
    20 Bay Street WaterPark Place 11 Floor
    Toronto, Ontario M5J 2N8
    CA

Domain name: PALMMWC2009.COM

Administrative Contact:
    MacPherson, Jaimie jmacpherson@mischiefmedia.ca
    Toronto, Ontario M5J 2N8
    CA
    1.4164073203 Fax: NA

Technical Contact:
    MacPherson, Jaimie jmacpherson@mischiefmedia.ca
    Toronto, Ontario M5J 2N8
    CA
    1.4164073203 Fax: NA

Registrar of Record: easyDNS Technologies, Inc.
    Record last updated on 05-Jan-2009.
    Record expires on 30-Dec-2009.
    Record created on 30-Dec-2008.
    +++++++

*Oops, looks as though "CapnShiner @ Jan 22nd 2009 5:06AM" on the Engadget site did the same thing.*
    Last edited by Palmfood; 01/22/2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Engadget user did the same thing...
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Someone replied to his post & said:

"Err, you didn't look close enough: Mischief Media have run official Palm campaigns in the past"

So the registrar data might be official.
    I just went to http://mischiefmedia.ca

Their front page mentions:
    "We're a digital agency that likes our projects to stand out! We create smart, simple marketing solutions that make sense."

Plus they mention previously working with Palm. Certainly sounds like Palm may have hired them again
    TreoCentral/PreCentral.net will be there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    That's awesome! Hopefully you get more great info on the Pre! This will actually be the first time I've looked foward to MWC considering I didn't even know it existed before. :-P Just out of curiosity, what kinds of things do you normally expect out of MWC. I'm not talking specifically Palm, but the conference as whole. Do companies generally make big announces/releases? Is it just a bunch of booths for people to drool over new technologies? I'm just curious about what the potential is with this conference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post

That's great news Dieter. I'm looking forward to the reports.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    a WebOS centro for $99? a WebOS PDA for $299? and announce the price for the Pre to be $199?

I like all of those.

Only the last one of those is going to happen - Palm isn't interested in PDAs and it's too early in the product life cycle to undercut the premium brand by providing a $99 version.
    i hate to dig up a very old thread, but i was just thinking about MWC this past week and how disappointing it was for new Palm Pre news. Then I thought about that one password protected site that got us all excited about MWC this year. What ever happened to it? They just took it down and that was it? It's weird that they created a domain specifically for palm at MWC 2009 and it wasn't even used! Almost seems like Palm is enjoying torturing us with false hopes.
    Agree that not much new came out of MWC regarding the Pre. It just makes me think we are still months away from its release date.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    At least we know for a fact that there will be a GSM version available, but why couldn't that be a MicroSD slot instead of a Sim Card Slot??? <rhetorical>
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmfood View Post
    At least we know for a fact that there will be a GSM version available, but why couldn't that be a MicroSD slot instead of a Sim Card Slot??? <rhetorical>
    I've been saying that for awhile also. I realize it's weird to have less features on the GSM phone than the CDMA one, but my view is that someone who really NEEDS microSD will switch to sprint! It'll be cheaper and better service anyways!
    Palm did not do much at the last couple of MWCs; they have been off to the side. I don't think this has anything to do with launch plans/schedules.