Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does Palm's recent record with the Treo provide us with any confidence the Pre will deliver outstanding phone call quality? I know Sprint has to be factored in (at least at first with it being the exclusive US carrier) but how do recent Palm phones perform on the various networks?

I have a relative who has an Iphone and the phone call quality, at least from my end, is always (not once but always) very poor.

Also, for those of you currently who have Palm phones, what is the quality of the speakerphone?

My general sense is that Palm, with the Pre, is not leaving very many stones unturned.
  2. ibn
    i've had a 600, 650, and 755p all on sprint. the call quality is good. i haven't had much to compare it to, but i rarely drop a call. and i've been in some rural areas of NC.

although i do get phantom voicemails from time to time but no call. it's nothing i worry about since it doesn't happen often.
    I've had good quality with my Treo 300, 600, 700p and Centro. All on Sprint with no issues.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Call quality on my Centro is excellent. My Treo 650 was not quite as good.
    There were many who complained about the 650 gsm reception and call volume.

The 750 and Pro are fantastic.

I think I remember Palm saying about the Pre that smartphone mfg's spend energy on pda features but little on the phone.
    I'll try and find it, but I got the impression that the phone part was given much attention.
    800w speakerphone is horrid.Earpiece is poor.
    I found it!

It was in Dieter's Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by 73. From LupeValenz
    Heya, I know it might be late, but I'm just curious....SOUND QUALITY! Mostly like to use the speakerphone to play music and podcasts. If its good like the 755P I'm happy speaker, I'm happy Ohhh and with sounds on mine, does it make audible alerts when alerts happen? On the keynote, it doesn't seem to do that. If your not watching the screen (like when your sleeping), you might miss something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn
    All we know is that Palm claims they are bothered by the fact that many phones get too focused on the PDA part and forget the phone part, so their phone part is good stuff. But I wasn't able to, you know, place a call. :-/
    Just call me Berd.
    I've had the 700p and 755p and both had excellent call quality. I have many friends with the centro and those are great as well. Palm has been great about keeping the phone part of their smartphone very solid and Sprint has great reception in most places as well (and considered the best for data/EVDO). Assuming the Pre is at least on par with their past phones, then I'm sure I will have no complaints with that aspect of it. As for the speakerphone quality, I have yet to see a phone with quality speakerphone. Palm is no exception to this rule. For some reason companies can't seem to get this right and to this day it still appears that most phones have half duplex speakerphone (one side can speak at a time). Drives me batty when friends/relatives put me on speakerphone cause I recognize it right away. Would be awesome to get a surprise on this aspect, but it's not gonna make or break my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visor To Pre View Post
    Does Palm's recent record with the Treo provide us with any confidence the Pre will deliver outstanding phone call quality? I know Sprint has to be factored in (at least at first with it being the exclusive US carrier) but how do recent Palm phones perform on the various networks?

I have a relative who has an Iphone and the phone call quality, at least from my end, is always (not once but always) very poor.

Also, for those of you currently who have Palm phones, what is the quality of the speakerphone?

My general sense is that Palm, with the Pre, is not leaving very many stones unturned.
    You gotta remember the iPhone is only available on AT&T. It is on a GSM network, which IMHO just doesn't sound as good as CDMA. I hate talking to people with AT&T because the call quality is just lousy. That "more bars in more places" slogan really is just marketing hype that isn't very accurate.

That being said, the call quality of the Treos is fine, but it sure isn't as good as the BlackBerry phones. Bluetooth, in particular, on the Treos is pretty bad. And, since most people have a Bluetooth headset these days, having a poor Bluetooth device just means that the call quality is going to go way down.

I'm on my BlackBerry talking on the phone 3-4 hours per day. This is a very important feature to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    You gotta remember the iPhone is only available on AT&T. It is on a GSM network, which IMHO just doesn't sound as good as CDMA.
    It's better quality on 3G with the iPhone ... if you can convince AT&T to not drop your call.
    See my signature. Have owned and used most of the hardware discussed in this thread. I find it amusing that apple have sold so many iPhones when the actual phone part is so ****ty. They constantly drop calls. Great MP3 player though. :-)
    It's probably unfair to compare it to the pro phone which is such a good phone.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by kkagawa View Post
    800w speakerphone is horrid.Earpiece is poor.
    You're right. Outside of that dud, Palm has done a good job with call quality. Also remember that HTC designed and built the phone and have a great track record.
    I think the more appropriate question would be is how good is the pre at handling bluetooth headsets and other bluetooth handsfree devices. As far as the phone goes the only place I can see a flaw would be with loudness of the speaker. I've seen many complaints about the treo volume not going high enough for loud situations.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    I've seen many complaints about the treo volume not going high enough for loud situations.
    If the Centro is any indication, the ear piece volume as well as the speakerphone volume are great. The speakerphone even sounds great when playing pTunes.

And this is a big improvement over the Treo 700p.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    See my signature. Have owned and used most of the hardware discussed in this thread. I find it amusing that apple have sold so many iPhones when the actual phone part is so ****ty. They constantly drop calls. Great MP3 player though. :-)
    It's probably unfair to compare it to the pro phone which is such a good phone.
    Some of this is AT&T's fault. I lost service on NON-iPhone phones for a while(I use AT&T mainly). They finally admitted their 3G couldn't handle the iPhone load. Though I also read that Apple may have used an inferior chip too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    You gotta remember the iPhone is only available on AT&T. It is on a GSM network, which IMHO just doesn't sound as good as CDMA. I hate talking to people with AT&T because the call quality is just lousy. That "more bars in more places" slogan really is just marketing hype that isn't very accurate.

That being said, the call quality of the Treos is fine, but it sure isn't as good as the BlackBerry phones. Bluetooth, in particular, on the Treos is pretty bad. And, since most people have a Bluetooth headset these days, having a poor Bluetooth device just means that the call quality is going to go way down.

I'm on my BlackBerry talking on the phone 3-4 hours per day. This is a very important feature to me.

It isn't that GSM call quality is bad. It's AT&T's GSM and the fact that they really don't have the 3G infrastructure that Europe does. At&T phones will drop in and out of 3G depending on where you are and that contributes to call problems.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I've had three 700p's and a 755p. Both Verizon. Worst call quality & reception of any wireless device I've ever had. I tried to make do with both as my primary wireless phone and it was an unmitigated disaster. Between the random resets, horrid NVFS lag (especially while on a call), pitiful BT support (no voice dialing over BT & freuqnely lost pairing), and terrible reception, I long ago went back to carrying 2 separate devices. I now carry a small Motorola flip dumbphone + the Treo.

My Treos regularly "bleep bloop" and lose reception in areas where my Motorola still has 2-3 bars of service. I don't know if I'd ever entrust a Palm-branded device as my primary means of voice communication.

At this stage of the game, I just use the Treo for web/email/PDA functionality and use the dumbphone for talking & the occasional photo and I'm quite happy!
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    I've had three 700p's and a 755p. Both Verizon. Worst call quality & reception of any wireless device I've ever had. I tried to make do with both as my primary wireless phone and it was an unmitigated disaster. Between the random resets, horrid NVFS lag (especially while on a call), pitiful BT support (no voice dialing over BT & freuqnely lost pairing), and terrible reception, I long ago went back to carrying 2 separate devices. I now carry a small Motorola flip dumbphone + the Treo.

My Treos regularly "bleep bloop" and lose reception in areas where my Motorola still has 2-3 bars of service. I don't know if I'd ever entrust a Palm-branded device as my primary means of voice communication.

At this stage of the game, I just use the Treo for web/email/PDA functionality and use the dumbphone for talking & the occasional photo and I'm quite happy!
    Wow. You really should look at getting a BlackBerry, and don't look back unless the Pre turns out to be the best phone ever made (doubtful).
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    look at the device history in my sig. Does it look like I'm going anywhere? LOL! ;-)

I actually like RIM's recent hardware efforts but I cannot stand the BB OS. It's clunky, chunky, inefficient, far too text-heavy, and makes Garnet look aesthetically pleasing in some areas!

I only use the Treo for wireless data + the still-best-on-the-market classic Palm PIM apps. That's what's most crucial for my day to day productivity. Everything else is nice to have but not what I'd call "essentials".
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    LOL..something tells me you won't be happy with palm no matter what.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast