Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    During Apples earnings call today Apples acting CEO had this to say.......

http://i.gizmodo.com/5136645/apple-h...e-legal-battle
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    During Apples earnings call today Apples acting CEO had this to say.......

http://i.gizmodo.com/5136645/apple-h...e-legal-battle
    LoL, this is just ridiculous. Palm would just end up counter suing apple into oblivion.
    Exactly, there is enough Patent infringement on the iPhone from Palm's angle to fire back.
    This is my favorite part of the article and exactly what I've been thinking ever since people were questioning the multitouch patent:

See, it's a common occurance for most corporations to build up a warchest of patents in lieu of a warchest of cash to pay laywers. Motorola and RIM have been playing out just such a patent deathmatch right now, in fact. So Palm could say "I'll see your multitouch browser and raise you one 'cradle for synchronizing data' and another 'Handheld computer system and method to detect and identify a peripheral device,' oh, and while we're at it, we have a patent for turning off the radio on via software on that there iPhone of yours. No more airplane mode for you."

In other words, now that Palm has its Mojo back (literally!), we're betting they're not going to back down from a fight wih Apple. From what we know of Apple, they're perfectly happy to scrap as well. Things could get interesting, folks!
    Personally I hope Apple will realize that this is just a dumb distraction and proof that they'd rather be destructive than innovative and just forget about suing. I want a good ol' fashion feature war.
    Last edited by schnoid; 01/21/2009 at 06:10 PM.
    ol bitter sour apple!

And now I like you even less.
    your telling me after all these YEARS of Palm having a touchscreen and all their PDA's that they don't have a FEW Aces up their sleeves?

C'mon... PLEASE tell me you have 5-6 Aces up your sleeve.
    i have no idea what patent apple holds on this, but to think a company can patent "multi-touch" is just ridiculous.

PS. pinch-zoom is not that big of a deal for me anyway, so I have no problem if palm pull it from final device. still 100x better than iPhone would ever be.

palm should now patent

gesture area at bottom of display

indicating spot on screen for touches

floating dock

card system

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i have no idea what patent apple holds on this, but to think a company can patent "multi-touch" is just ridiculous.
    Palm has plenty of absurd patents of its own. Check the ones cited in the article.

There is another IP issue with the Pre, several of its developers previously worked at Apple.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    they might try but i cant believe palm doesnt have a few they could bring up being they were in the cell phone market long before apple ever even thought about a phone.

also we dont know yet what palm has patented for the pre yet do we (if anything). i could see something like synergy being patented as well which im sure the iphone would love to copy.
    Last edited by jagowar; 01/21/2009 at 07:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Palm has plenty of absurd patents of its own. Check the ones cited in the article.

There is another IP issue with the Pre, several of its developers previously worked at Apple.
    like how SUN sued apple for hiring their people?

Quote Originally Posted by jagowar View Post
    they might try but i cant believe palm doesnt have a few they could bring up being they were in the cell phone market long before apple ever even thought about a phone.

also we dont know yet what palm has patented for the pre yet do we (if anything). i could see something like synergy being patented as well which im sure the iphone would love to copy.
    I would imagine so, iPhone is basically a glorified app launcher, I would be extremely surprised if Palm holds no crucial patents in this area that can threaten apple.
    that reminded me, did apple actually got the patent we think they were at all?

PS. I can see a lot of PRPRPR $backlash$ $against$ $Apple$ $from$ $gizmodo$ $and$ $engadget$ $already$.
    No, they only applied for gestures. It wasn't granted yet. Kind of silly to sue over applications... I think Apple might be puffing out their chest. Palm isn't going to stop themselves from releasing this device... it's going to be drawn out if anything.
    well, I think apple will have to get the patent first.

Then palm can use their old patents or new patents that likely for Pre, to settle with apple.

Apple is behaving quite desperately, I think that establishes more prominently the position of the Pre.

Not to mention:

I really dont think pinch-zooming is such a big thing on the Pre at all.

Palm spokesman said
    I spoke with Lynn Fox, Palm spokeswoman, who tells me, "Apple was not the first to do 'mult-touch.' Multi touch has a long history dating back to the 1980s. We have patents too."

"Palm has been building its own intellectual property portfolio for 15 years, and we will defend it vigorously, if necessary," Fox added.
    Last edited by clevin; 01/21/2009 at 07:47 PM.
    wow.. talk about carrying a BIG stick!!
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Palm is not the first phone maker to use pinch zoom in/out.

There are quite a few phones out there now with pinch zoom.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Apple stole the mouse GUI from Zerox PARC eons ago.

Then MegaSoft stole it from Apple.

These innovations tend to become industry standards pretty quickly.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    The bright side of this Apple threat is that, if it makes Apple THAT nervous, it must be pretty good.

If I were considering an iPhone and Apple praised the Pre by suing for patent violation, then that would be a signal to me that Palm Pre is better than iPhone.

It would be that best publicity that Palm could get.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Palm stole the lack of removable storage from Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    Palm stole the lack of removable storage from Apple
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast