Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Considering its missing even basic features, i doubt Apple is thinking about "stealing" any useful features from the Pre. All apple cares about is making it a better ipod at this point for the kiddos.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I wouldn't go that far. I think the announcement and excitement towards the Pre had to have some kind of impact on Apple saying they'll start allowing app to run in the background as a type of multitasking.

Apple cares about being on top, not about a better ipod. If only being a better ipod is enough to keep them on top, then they'll do that. But if something significantly challenges that, then they'll adjust. They're not going to keep stagnant if something else is making waves.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Umm...if they cared about being on top, they'd have MMS, tethering, stereo bt, copy and paste, decent PIM, etc. These are all standard smartphone features.

No apple cares about having features that its core audience wants. A better ipod. Browser. And a zillion fart apps.

WinMo has multitasking for example and apple never felt compelled to add it. But then again, the iphone isn't really a smartphone and isn't trying to be that. It's trying to be a multimedia phone for the dumbphone users and it's succeeding pretty well.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    But my point is that they don't currently need to add those features to get on top, they are on top without them. The iphone has been doing just fine.

If there is something that threatens that, then they will advance the iphone quicker than they have been.

I don't think anything will threaten the iphone for now. Not the Pre either. At least, not in the short term or next year.

Apple will have to revamp the looks of its hardware and tweak the UI to keep it fresh though next year. But i don't think they necessarily have to worry about multitasking, cloud features, etc..just as they haven't really had too much concern with MMS, copy & paste. Their target market is dumbphone users wanting a multimedia phone & some games. I'd say the number of people who bought the iphone for pda like (or traditional smartphone) features are very few.

But seriously, i don't think apple is concerned about the Pre right now. They've not come to market. They'll worry when there is something to worry about and still might not feel compelled to do anything. Palm made a major strike at CES but they got lots more work to do and its not a certainty yet they can get it all right.

If i'm apple, i sit and watch palm, but don't pay em any mind (and certainly don't make dumb comments about stealing IP patents) as i keep enhancing the multimedia part of the iphone and continue staying on top.
    Last edited by cardfan; 02/12/2009 at 02:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    That would be a mistake. They need to always think ahead. Beginning research and development after they confirm a danger would be stupid. I agree that Apple isn't in any danger right now, but they need to be spending some resources into more than just multimedia aspects.

Well... or just make the phone much better multitasking wise, and let the third parties take care of it.

Multitasking isn't that easy as they'll have to redesign the UI a bit. Apple's philosophy is to keep things very simple for users. These two ideas may not be so easy to combine.

Think about the Pre for a sec. No doubt the features are appealing. But can you give a Pre to someone not real up on smartphones and can they use it? The iphone is very simple. The Pre i would guess will have a much larger learning curve especially with all this cloud business. (and i can't wait to dive into it

Like it or not though we're not really the targets too much and apple understands most of the masses want it simple. And they gave it to them simple. I can definitely see this being a weakness of the Pre. Again, not for me or you or the users of this forum..but for those palm is trying to target. Initially they'll probably get more of the business (slight more sophisticated users) side than the fun (iphone) side i think. They may even get some current iphone users ready to make a leap up, are missing basic features, and who are looking to get more of a smartphone than multimedia.

Back to multitasking, that is part of what can make WM a bit harder to use. Multitasking is good, don't get me wrong..and i want it, but if apple goes that route, it'll be tricky to maintain that simplicity they have. Then again who knows? Maybe this is why rumors of a beginner iphone are floating around so that a multitasking iphone doesn't alienate potential dumbphone switchers.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Well... first of all. iphone users will get multi-tasking pretty quickly on the pre. Palm was smart to use the button, which iphone users are used to using to get back to the application menu, to instead pop up card view. iphone users (and pretty much everyone else) are already trained to press that button and it'll just happen automatically for them, and they'll discover this new feature for them with no problem.

But I suppose multitasking for the iphon also is heavily dependent on what the most used apps for the iphone are. It might not be necessary... unless it's multitasking holding back certain apps from becoming more popular.

Which leads to the Pre having the possibility of having apps that are most useful because of multi-tasking, and apps that can take advantage of multi-tasking that the iphone can't do. And in terms of the app store, that's only a positive in Palm's side if Apple chooses to not go that route (or can't)

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    There was another article in Barrons about the Apple patent issue.
    Palm blogs about Patent fairness, i really hope there isn't an issue with patents
    The Official Palm Blog: Innovation in a changing world
    Somewhat related:
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-support-patent-reform

Palm has certain been relatively coy about the ongoing question of whether or not they're going to face a patent dispute with Apple and what they'd do in such a situation. The upshot is that they're confident in their patents and the advantage these patents give the company should litigation arise.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Oh great! Palm actually supports the patent reform, which is mostly aimed at tying the hands of applicants? The USPTO decides to fix the backlog of patent applications, which is work that is paid for and not completed, by making it harder to apply for a patent rather than just hiring more examiners and doing better work (a lot of the backlog is due to examiners waisting their time on 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th non-final actions because they don't have the time or the training to do it right the first time). In the meantime, large patent filers are villainized for "clogging the system," even though they pay the bulk of the fees keeping the patent system alive.

Don't be fooled. Many companies like Palm only support patent reform because the government will just do what it wants anyway, so it's wise to stay on their good side and get some positive press rather than complaining about the sorry state the USPTO is in.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't think anything will threaten the iphone for now. Not the Pre either. At least, not in the short term or next year.

Apple will have to revamp the looks of its hardware and tweak the UI to keep it fresh though next year. But i don't think they necessarily have to worry about multitasking, cloud features, etc..just as they haven't really had too much concern with MMS, copy & paste. Their target market is dumbphone users wanting a multimedia phone & some games. I'd say the number of people who bought the iphone for pda like (or traditional smartphone) features are very few.

But seriously, i don't think apple is concerned about the Pre right now. They've not come to market. They'll worry when there is something to worry about and still might not feel compelled to do anything. Palm made a major strike at CES but they got lots more work to do and its not a certainty yet they can get it all right.

If i'm apple, i sit and watch palm, but don't pay em any mind (and certainly don't make dumb comments about stealing IP patents) as i keep enhancing the multimedia part of the iphone and continue staying on top.
    I agree with you on dumb users. But at the same time, the iPhone just performs , no hanging , no guessing around. If only WinMo match the stability and responsiveness of the iPhone , they still can compete with APPLE in the long run.

I always thought iPod was such a dumb discovery , but it made things simple for people to buy and listen music. APPLE had a good run with that.
    But phone business is a new ball game , I am willing to bet on other companies to compete APPLE in this arena. Pre is a first , and I am hoping that the next Android phone will come closer.

Apple was battling the likes of a lifeless Sony and pathetic Microsoft in the music business. No wonder iPod was great , but the competition was not there.
    In phones , they have to fight PALM, Google, Motorola, Nokia , ...... the list goes on .
    Each one of these have either a bit of history or the knowhow to come up with killer products.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    and certainly don't make dumb comments about stealing IP patents) as i keep enhancing the multimedia part of the iphone and continue staying on top.
    I don't think it was dumb, it serves several purposes. It doesn't matter how thin the argument is (I am not an IP lawyer) as it sets in consumers minds the idea that the Pre is late coming copy.
    But it also gave the Pre PRPRPR. $And$ $that$ $PR$ $pretty$ $much$ $called$ $apple$'$s$ $case$ $clumsy$.

I still say if i'm apple, i totally ignore palm. Giving them attention also implies you think they got something. Better to let palm and sprint struggle on and not provide any ammunition.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Great article in Barrons. I think Apple better leave this one alone.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456