Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    The bright side of this Apple threat is that, if it makes Apple THAT nervous, it must be pretty good.

If I were considering an iPhone and Apple praised the Pre by suing for patent violation, then that would be a signal to me that Palm Pre is better than iPhone.

It would be that best publicity that Palm could get.
    I realy wouldnt put much stock in Apple being scared of the pre thus making them sue, IF they hold any patents that Palm infringed on then they have every right to sue, and should.
    Also patents do not last forever, I would think most of palms have ran out long ago, considering they haventmade any real changes for eons intil now.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    They also stole MMS and Copy Paste and stole it so completely that theres none left for the iphone
    I'm pretty sure Palm expected this and is already prepared:

• It's got multitouch, Apple patents be damned. We asked if they were afraid of Apple's claimed protectionist patents for multitouch. They would only respond with a confident smile.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/0...s-that-ma.html
    One thing Apple is doing is bringing more attention to the Pre. That certainly can't hurt Palm.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    I agree it will only bring more attention to Palm. The Pre is not an iPhone killer, its the anti-iPhone!
    What one can patent gestures? Even without multitouch one uses gestures on a touchscreen. That's the purpose. isn't the entire point of multitouch the ability to accept more than one point of touch for input, thus allowing for more variability in gestures. Of course when talking about gestures pinching between the thumb and forefinger a different gesture than pinching between the thumb and middle finger. Is apple trying to patent every possible finger movement one can make on a screen. As far as trying to patent the action of pinching to zoom in and the reverse to zoom out, that is argueably patently obvious. Afterall most people use similar gestures in the air during conversations. Hell the ASL sign for "more" is an outward motion with both your hands Of course the USPO will allow anything to be patented including a method for swinging on a swing involving the back and forth movement of ones legs. Remember just because they patent it doesn't mean it'll hold up in court.

What's next are they going to patent pinching dragging and releasing for "drag and drop".
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Palm expected this and is already prepared:

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/0...s-that-ma.html
    I agree. I am pretty sure Palm's lawyers are pretty confident about these. Have no idea about the exact details about multitouch patent but the Pre is not the only other multitouch device?

Gestures? then what would you call the Microsoft Surface?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I agree. I am pretty sure Palm's lawyers are pretty confident about these. Have no idea about the exact details about multitouch patent but the Pre is not the only other multitouch device?

Gestures? then what would you call the Microsoft Surface?
    Yeah, I have a Dell XT tablet PC with capacitive touch and multitouch, including the rotate and pinch zoom gestures, but its been suggested they don't care about these usages because they're not other phones. Who knows.
    Jon was with Apple remember, he knows what they can and can't do with the Pre. They shouldn't have to worry much about this.
    Oh go to hell Apple and lay on a pile of your billions of profit money. Your products SUCK. God forbid anyone try to make their OWN device without stealing ideas and then sue them for no reason.

/rant
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I think it's difficult to patent gestures, because gestures aren't tecnology. They are, as his name explains, gestures. And of course, the multitouch technology isn't an Apple patent. So please Apple, continue advertising Pre for free. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Palm's (and Handspring's) lawyers were pretty confident 7 years ago when RIM nailed them for the patent infringement on the keyboard (Link and Link).
    ^^^^Didn't stop them from releasing the TREO and becoming a success. Just paid for it after the fact once the treo was established. No real gamble here as Palm will release the Pre, hopefully to wide success. Battle in the courts, if the lose they would probably have to settle. If the Pre isn't a success, Palm's going under and apple sueing them will get them nothing.
    More readings seem to suggest that the patent, if granted, should be related to the tech behind the function, rather than function itself (which should be the case).

Also said is Android G2 will have multi-touch in Q1 of 09 as well.

With Jon worked for Apple for a such a long time, I expect Palm to know exactly what they can, and can't do.

Still, its nice to see apple get off their high horse and be scared, HAHA.

Pre is much better than iPhone, with or without pinch-zooming, Tim Crook knows it.
    Wow.....I could careless about Multi-touch.
    If Palm dropped that and went after Apple for all the other patents, I would smile from ear to ear.
    Microsoft, HTC, HP...all have multi-touch. Apple cant fight all of those big companies. If Apple does have the brass to sue Palm, I am sure Palm can summon some of the companies that doesnt like Apple all to well and get a great counter going!!
    everyone else is allowed to use it... except you Palm.. except you.

muhahahah
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    This is my favorite part of the article and exactly what I've been thinking ever since people were questioning the multitouch patent:

Personally I hope Apple will realize that this is just a dumb distraction and proof that they'd rather be destructive than innovative and just forget about suing. I want a good ol' fashion feature war.
    I agree. I'd rather see Apple spend the money on improving their product to better compete with the market, than to send lawyers in to create more chaos and retard innovation.

Suck it up Apple, and make the improvements your users have been pleading for.
    Even if Apple doesn't win, the could get the courts to force Palm to delay the pre until the legal matters are worked out. This could be a disaster for Palm if they can't release it in 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    I realy wouldnt put much stock in Apple being scared of the pre thus making them sue, IF they hold any patents that Palm infringed on then they have every right to sue, and should.
    Also patents do not last forever, I would think most of palms have ran out long ago, considering they haventmade any real changes for eons intil now.
    Terry
    But companies sit on patents all the time and don't sue until they feel threatened in some way.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast