Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Will the Pre have a stylis? How does it compare w/the Samsung Instinct?

Thanks, Justin
    My understanding is, no, the Pre will not use a stylus. I believe the UI is designed to be finger-friendly.
    The UI is designed to be finger friendly because it has a capacitive screen. That means you cannot use a metal or plastic object on it (pressure will not cause it react). You will have to use a finger (or perhaps an orange peel or a specially designed stylus).
    It won't have a stylus but you can buy one though if you want. I believe the one for the iPhone is called Pogostylus?...let me see....Yup. Its the Pogo Stylus and they seem to add a Pogo sketch as well. Looks nice but I'm happy with finger tapping.
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    It won't have a stylus but you can buy one though if you want. I believe the one for the iPhone is called Pogostylus?...let me see....Yup. Its the Pogo Stylus and they seem to add a Pogo sketch as well. Looks nice but I'm happy with finger tapping.
    I was looking over reviews, hoping to find the physical dimensions--the thickness, in particular. I'd like to find something that will work for drawing apps once they're available for the Pre. (I'm sure there will be people who want to customize icons--and a willing developer.) That will take more precision than the Pogo looks like it can deliver--or else a lot of zooming.
    With a capacitive screen, there will probably never be a drawing app that allows any kind of detail. You give up that kind of precision for this kind of screen.
    Technically, you could have a high-detail sketch app, but to get the pixels finger-friendly sized, you would be zoomed in quite a bit which would make things very tedious.
    Can somebody give a definitive answer on what the minimum stylus tip size that can be sensed with a capacitive screen is? I get the impression that it is in the 5-10 mm range rather than one or two pixels.
    This is the smallest I've seen. I know this isn't what you're looking for but all the capacitive styluses I've seen are much wider than the 'dots' on these:

http://www.dotsgloves.com/

Still, its pretty wide.

I sort of doubt it because I think it uses additional technology for pen mode, but I wonder if my Dell XT (a capacitive touch/tablet PC)'s pen would work on it. I have no way of checking that now, but when the Pre comes out and I have it, I'll let people know if I think of it. I am like 70% sure that it won't work though anyway.
    I don't even use a stylus on my 680.