Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #1  
    This was one of the biggest failings of the iPhone. My trusty Treos and my Blackberry curve all indicate missed calls and emails with a blinking LED. I looked through the Pre pictures and couldn't seem to determine if there was one. Anyone know?
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  2. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #2  
    Dieter said there is no LED, but I am wondering if the icons at the top of the screen will show up when the display is off. Between where is says Sprint and the time, it would be nice to see a voicemail, email, SMS, alert icon.
  3. #3  
    Isn't that what the notifications area is for? Look on Palm's site for Pre Notifications bar.

    I know that this is not the same as a LED with the screen being off.
  4. #4  
    Maybe a hack could be done to make the lights under the gesture area flash in some fashion.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  5. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Isn't that what the notifications area is for? Look on Palm's site for Pre Notifications bar.

    I know that this is not the same as a LED with the screen being off.
    I don't want to have to turn the screen on to see if I have a new VM, email, ... etc. Now I use Butler to change the LED to orange for email, red for VM and flashing green for SMS. It works pretty well. I can live with turning the screen on, but it would be nice if I didn't have to.
  6. #6  
    "I don't want to have to turn the screen on to see if I have a new VM, email, ... etc.'

    Thats why I said I know its not the same thing. The notification area is still pretty cool.
  7. #7  
    With regards to your comment about turning the screen on to see notifications, if it was me designing the device, I'd give it something like the 800w screensaver mode. Except instead of changing the screen entirely, just keep the black status bar at the top, and any notifications that pop up, since the way the device seems to be designed is so that area just blends into the hardware of the device.

    I don't know if they will or not, but it'd be neat.
  8. #8  
    I sure thought I had read somewhere that an LED did exist. After re-checking Palm's site, I guess it was from someone else and subject to error.

    Regarding using the status area at the top (or bottom) of the screen, if I am not mistaken, even if the rest of the screen is dark, the backlight still has to be on. So, you do not save any energy. You might as well make use of the entire screen if you go that route.

    If there really is no low-power notification option, I will be surprised. Flashing the gesture area LEDs may be the answer.
  9. #9  
    Why can't they do it like they did with the 755P? Have the LED light just blend in with the device and only lights up when your charging and blink when it needs attention. I sooooo wish that they had that.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    I sure thought I had read somewhere that an LED did exist. After re-checking Palm's site, I guess it was from someone else and subject to error.

    Regarding using the status area at the top (or bottom) of the screen, if I am not mistaken, even if the rest of the screen is dark, the backlight still has to be on. So, you do not save any energy. You might as well make use of the entire screen if you go that route.

    If there really is no low-power notification option, I will be surprised. Flashing the gesture area LEDs may be the answer.
    There are two LEDs in the gesture area, and those are used as feedback when you're using it. I realize that normally to display anything on the screen the backlight is still on when dark, but I was picturing something as sort of a combination of the 800w's screensaver which turns the backlight off, and the Pre's status bar and dashboard for notifications I think they called it.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    This was one of the biggest failings of the iPhone. My trusty Treos and my Blackberry curve all indicate missed calls and emails with a blinking LED. I looked through the Pre pictures and couldn't seem to determine if there was one. Anyone know?
    Oh, wow. Talk about a small thing that would be a huge deal if it were not included. That's just absolutely terrible if it doesn't have a flashing light to tell you that you have a new email, voicemail, text, etc. Without that, you constantly have to turn on your screen to double check. I can honestly say that if the Pre doesn't have this feature, that it will most likely be a deal breaker for me.

    Sprint will be releasing a new version of the BlackBerry Bold soon, so I'll probably just get that. Sure, the Pre has a slick OS, but if it doesn't have such a simple feature, and we're still all in the dark with the sync capabilities... well, I think you know where I'm going with this.

    Also, I find it unacceptable that Palm is waiting this long to announce when the device will be available. In the past, Palm has been really good at realeasing new phones within a week or two of them showing up on the home page of their web site. Now, I'm hearing April or May? That's BS.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Also, I find it unacceptable that Palm is waiting this long to announce when the device will be available. In the past, Palm has been really good at realeasing new phones within a week or two of them showing up on the home page of their web site. Now, I'm hearing April or May? That's BS.
    I'm not sure why anyone would think the device was going to be released in a week or two when they repeatedly said during the presentation "in the next 6 months."
  13. #13  
    Apple iPhone had a 6 month wait, it just builds execitment for the product, but I have read on here that it might be Feb. 15. I would rather it come out around May when my contract is up. Just would like details more and what the Pro Reviews got to say when they get the product in the hot little hands.
  14. #14  
    Maybe someone else can chime in that has more info, but i thought the "home" button had leds around it and it lit up? I have to imagine that they at least have something that lights up when it is charging.

    I agree that the lack of an email/vmail notification that can be seen without the screen being on will be severely missed.
  15. harps70's Avatar
    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    #15  
    This isn't a deal breaker for me buying this device, but it is handy.
    Whilst I've turned almost all the notification by BB offers, I have left the LED message indicator on.
    When the phone is on my desk, I can tell I have a new message without having to touch the phone or open my work Lotus Notes application.
    This stops me from sitting waiting for e-mail like allot of people do.
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmLoyal View Post
    Maybe someone else can chime in that has more info, but i thought the "home" button had leds around it and it lit up? I have to imagine that they at least have something that lights up when it is charging.

    I agree that the lack of an email/vmail notification that can be seen without the screen being on will be severely missed.
    There are lights in the gesture area that come on when you use it. We don't know that the center button lights up or not. There's a Palm render that shows the light coming on, but we don't know. Dieter has said there's no light, but that's also not a final version.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone would think the device was going to be released in a week or two when they repeatedly said during the presentation "in the next 6 months."
    That could mean tomorrow, and it could mean 6 months from now. Lets see how you're acting come March or April, and there's still no sign of the phone. I'll come back and tell you "well, they did say "in the next 6 months"...

Posting Permissions