Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Nice article about the Pre camera on PreCentral

Palm Pre uses the latest imaging correction software from DxO Labs. DxO is a leading player in the field of image analysis and correction. It is used and incorporated by all major photo brands like Canon, Nikon, Sigma, etc., in their digital SLR cameras to do image processing and correction. DxO offers a number of different products including software post-processing packages, image quality analyzer and, most important of all, embedded imaging solution which rests inside the device and does live processing of your beautiful shots.
    The camera is the main reason why I'm ditching my g1. Well not the main reason but one of them.
    That is a great camera...for starters! Thank goodness for the flash!
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    That is a great camera...for starters! Thank goodness for the flash!
    Anything is better then my current smartphone camera. I just hope it doesnt take forever for a quick snap.
    Personally, the camera is my biggest disappointment in the Pre specs. My BB Flip and my Curve already have 2 mp cameras, and a flash.

I was hoping for a Nokia like 5 mp AUTOFOCUS camera. A brand new, from the ground up phone like the Pre merits one imo. New SOFTWARE aside, the Pre's camera is by no means forward looking, unlike the rest of the phone (fastest processor, new OS).

I carry a small digital camera with me at work for when I need to document something. Just last night I took a pic with the Flip, only to have to dig out the Casio because the Flip's result was blurry and nowhere near up to par.
    Last edited by galavanter; 01/21/2009 at 01:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Personally, the camera is my biggest disappointment in the Pre specs. My BB Flip and my Curve already have 2 mp cameras, and a flash.

I was hoping for a Nokia like 5 mp AUTOFOCUS camera. A brand new, from the ground up phone like the Pre merits one imo. New SOFTWARE aside, the Pre's camera is by no means forward looking, unlike the rest of the phone (fastest processor, new OS).

I carry a small digital camera with me at work for when I need to document something. Just last night I took a pic with the Flip, only to have to dig out the Casio because the Flip's result was blurry and nowhere near up to par.
    Like the memory, I too am surprised that they did not go for a state-of-the-art spec for the camera.
  7.    #7  
    Obviously u guys didn't read the whole article, it says that with this technology, it could even be better than a 5 mega pixel camera from other phones.(Or close)
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    People get too hung up on how many megapixels a camera is, like it's the only factor that determines the quality of the picture. The quality of the lens and CCD are far more important.
    I don't have the time or inclination to educate you manners wise or photography wise. Just don't believe everything you read, especially press releases. The fact that the first word in my post was "personally" just didn't click with you huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Obviously u guys didn't read the whole article, it says that with this technology, it could even be better than a 5 mega pixel camera from other phones.(Or close)
    I used the Nokia 5MP Autofocus lens with Carl Zeiss lenses as the example because it exists. Autofocus is what I hoped for in the Pre. I AM hung up on in focus photos. I find it absurd at this juncture to discuss lens and sensor quality in a phone camera. If I want quality photos I'll use my real cameras, which still include film.

Also, if you are going to parrot DPR maxims, let us remember not to leave the photographer out of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    People get too hung up on how many megapixels a camera is, like it's the only factor that determines the quality of the picture. The quality of the lens and CCD are far more important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    I would be surprised if depth of field enhancement (meaning improving the range over which the fixed focus lens gives acceptable results) would equate to the results achieved by auto-focus.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Eh, auto-focus would have been nice, but let's face it: if you want to take good pictures, you're not doing it with a camera phone, period. Lack of video is far more of a problem.
    I'm not looking forward to it. I hate cell phone cameras. It wont make any difference how advanced the software is if the sensor is tiny and lens is crap

Even the cheapest modern digital camera will take considerably better pictures than the best cell phone camera.

I think that the space taken by the camera could be used for a bigger battery.

I guess I'm a bit of a photography snob, but I am really tired of all the crappy images that are all over the internet (most comming from cellphone cameras)

My .02,
    Last edited by rc46; 01/21/2009 at 10:07 AM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I wish they'd left the camera off the phone completely. I never use it, have no need for it, and never will. I would prefer a stronger vibrate or bigger battery to a camera.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I think a camera is a given for a current Palm phone. They will definitely use it for contact pictures and MMS, but it can also be used for bar code scanning, business card scanning, mobile blogging and journaling, etc. I can't imagine a company making a phone for the masses and not including a camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I wish they'd left the camera off the phone completely. I never use it, have no need for it, and never will. I would prefer a stronger vibrate or bigger battery to a camera.
    So you won't take a picture of an alien landing in front of you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I think a camera is a given for a current Palm phone. They will definitely use it for contact pictures and MMS, but it can also be used for bar code scanning, business card scanning, mobile blogging and journaling, etc. I can't imagine a company making a phone for the masses and not including a camera.
    Bar code scanning would work a lot better with a decent autofocus lens. Cameras on phones are almost always complete garbage. They only include them so they can say they have a camera on the phone.
    some people get hung up on megapixel count which means absolutely jack overall.

you need a good lens, processing software etc the whole package together is what makes a good digital camera and it looks like the pre is heading the right direction. sure 5mp would have been nice, but they aren't THAT common on all phones and most people will be happy with a 3.2

bearing in mind the iphone having a 2.0 megapixel camera and no flash didn't seem to dent its sales now did it?
    http://www.wirelessandmobilenews.com..._features.html

Palm Pre Camera Has Sophisticated DxO Features
    By Editor Wireless and Mobile News on January 21, 2009 1:10 PM

The new Palm Pre smartphone uses the latest imaging correction software from DxO Labs. DxO is used by photo brands like Cannon and Nikon for image processing and correction. Although the Palm Pre Camera is only 3.2 megapixels, when you add this advanced technology it should take brilliant beautiful photos.

DxO Labs products correct images at very sophisticated levels. They offer features such as enhanced fields of depth, lighting correction, smart vibrancy and on-the-fly processing. Other features the Palm Pre will most likely have built-in to the camera are image stabilization, real- time video, and shooting without flash in low level light.

The Palm WebOS Blog notes that the "depth of field that was touted by Palm will provide us with great close-ups and macro shots showing the extra details of such pictures." The DxO technology of Adaptive Lighting gives a much brighter and better picture in low light conditions.
    The DxO technology should correct any lighting problems from the LED flash. The Palm Pre photo quality should surpass the iPhone 3G and BlackBerry Storm.
    The new Blackberry 8900 is in the hands of some consumers already, and will be officially released by Tmo soon.

It has a 3.2 mp camera with AUTOFOCUS and video. The Pre will be competing with this very phone (camera), at least as far as attracting BB users.

Palm is making an error in not adopting hardware autofocus iIMO, and I will believe software focus when I see it, clearly.

Here are a few Curve 8900 shots for those discussing bar codes and business cards, and one for dog lovers too.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...mera-test.html

I never said I wanted a phone camera to capture puddle jumpers, but to "document" things at work. Adequate resolution (yes 3mp is fine) and AF are both necessary for this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (533.1 KB, 20 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (427.2 KB, 13 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (618.7 KB, 11 views)
    Last edited by galavanter; 01/30/2009 at 11:28 AM.
    One exciting thing about the camera comes from this item

http://mobiledivide.com/2009/01/28/p...ces-09-part-2/

Something you won’t see in this interview is just how snappy the palm prprpr&#$275$;’$s$ $3MP$ $camera$ $is$. $One$ $could$ $literally$ $take$ $picture$ $after$ $picture$ ($using$ $the$ $onscreen$ $shutter$ $or$ $the$ $QWERTY$$s$ $spacebar$ $key$) $and$ $be$ $able$ $to$ ($more$ $or$ $less$) $capture$ $stills$ $fast$ $enough$ $to$ $create$ $a$ $stop$ $motion$ $animation$ $of$ $their$ $subject$!
    That's impressive!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast