Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Goyena's Avatar
    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
       #1  
    http://www.pikesoft.com/blog/index.p...php?itemid=214

    I could imagine WebOS easily on a netbook...at least some of the demo'd apps ported in as some sort of widget, if not the OS as a whole.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    http://www.pikesoft.com/blog/index.p...php?itemid=214

    I could imagine WebOS easily on a netbook...at least some of the demo'd apps ported in as some sort of widget, if not the OS as a whole.
    At this point I could see pretty much anything on a netbook. Basically anything with multitasking, email, office, browsing and media capabilities could get into the market. Very few people now-a-days do much besides these basic tasks. Personally I'd be happy with any OS that has a browser and the ability to connect to VNC or Logmein.
  3. #3  
    Its a nice theory but I would still rather see a RedFly type solution. That way you could work on your files on a airplane or when away from a cell signal. You would always have your files with you (because they are in your Pre) and you would never have to wait for the OS to load (because your Pre is already booted). If the Pre processor is all that its cracked up to be, why should we have to pay the expense of buying an additional CPU for the WebOS Netbook when we could just use the one in the Pre.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  4. #4  
    Well, Redfly is also working on a software solution that would work with any netbook too, which might be useful.
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well, Redfly is also working on a software solution that would work with any netbook too, which might be useful.
    Redfly really need to get their act together - I posted this somewhere else so I'll quote myself here:

    I had a look into Celio last night - I doubt they will live through 2009 - It's fairly telling that they slashed $100 off their pricing in the first week of release of the Redfly and now we are already $300 off the original price point in a six month period. $100 seems to the sweet spot for that product - and then the margins are going to be dire.

    Their website also convinces me the company is missing its sales targets by miles - there is a section on REDFLY in Vertical Applications on the website. That section sets off all sorts of alarm bells to me - if the product is so successful in the marketplace, why don't it contain at least one case study, white paper or even an short example which makes use of an named organisation? Why is it all "a professor said", "an estate agent said"...

    There is nothing in there that suggests that it's made for businesses, the language is wrong it invokes lone users not a corporate deployment.

    So - let's take the video tour (which is outsourced it seems), that might give me some helpful information as a purchaser. Oh look there is a document library, well yes a video tour is where I'd look for such information... now I have to register to get access to the document library.

    OK - registering... and the document library disappears... oh wait there it is, flying in off the corner of the screen, one document at a time. What? who on earth thought that would be a good idea? The library contains a TCO document that is actually quite punchy and to the point - why is it hidden on a third party site under a video demo?

    That's a very confused company who articulate their product very poorly - whoever does their marketing and branding should be sacked.
  6. #6  
    intresting . worth the time to read
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  7. #7  
    Why bother making a netbook / Foleo reprise? Just make it a Palm desktop environment. You know, an alternative to KDE / Windows shell / OSX desktop or whatever.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    Why bother making a netbook / Foleo reprise? Just make it a Palm desktop environment. You know, an alternative to KDE / Windows shell / OSX desktop or whatever.
    Because that was why people were annoyed by the Foleo in the first place, for one. By developing a Linux operating system for it that was entirely unrelated to the phone operating system they were working on, it was seen as a waste of limited resources.
  9. #9  
    A TABLET netbook with WebOS... (though when will APPLE produce theirs? Even though it'll be pricey... lol)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

    justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
  10. #10  
    Isn't this just another reason to have an expansion slot? If you're going to expand the use of the phone with a RedFly type solution, you should have much more access to storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Its a nice theory but I would still rather see a RedFly type solution. That way you could work on your files on a airplane or when away from a cell signal. You would always have your files with you (because they are in your Pre) and you would never have to wait for the OS to load (because your Pre is already booted). If the Pre processor is all that its cracked up to be, why should we have to pay the expense of buying an additional CPU for the WebOS Netbook when we could just use the one in the Pre.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    http://www.pikesoft.com/blog/index.p...php?itemid=214

    I could imagine WebOS easily on a netbook...at least some of the demo'd apps ported in as some sort of widget, if not the OS as a whole.
    I've yet to click the link but I don't see how it would be a good idea to port a touchscreen-based system into a notebook-format device. It's not fun holding your hand in the air, telling the device the various things you'd like to open, close, create, delete, move, and resize.

    Of course, more and more pc's are coming with touchscreen monitors, but I really don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I've yet to click the link but I don't see how it would be a good idea to port a touchscreen-based system into a notebook-format device. It's not fun holding your hand in the air, telling the device the various things you'd like to open, close, create, delete, move, and resize.

    Of course, more and more pc's are coming with touchscreen monitors, but I really don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something.
    Maybe you should click the link.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Maybe you should click the link.
    I have. Didn't address the concerns I mentioned.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.

Posting Permissions