Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Unless people replace their phone before it wears out, and people upgrade their phones pretty often.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    I'm amazed at how frequently some folks change phones. My Palm purchases have been for the long-haul.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Unless people replace their phone before it wears out, and people upgrade their phones pretty often.
    I keep a second battery charged and available at all times to swap instantly, so a replaceable battery isn't just about staving off obsolescence. If you use your phone to listen to more than a couple of hours of music a day, a single 1200 mAh battery doesn't cut it.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I agree. Which is why I went for the 2250 mAh extended battery. A spare battery wouldn't have worked for me, because I have a fear of losing it, since I tend to misplace a lot of things.

If the spare battery option works for you, that's great, and it certainly is an advantange over not being able to replace a battery, but I was just merely pointing out that if the main advantage of a replacement battery is actually replacing a worn out battery, a whole lot of people don't need that option because they would have upgraded their phone before that became an issue.

Although I probably should have been more clear that I didn't think that replacing a worn out battery was the main feature, and it's the ability to extend usage time on a device that is designed with power draining features in mind (video, music, wifi, etc.)

(And yes, more storage space would enhance that, but that's a seperate, although somewhat related, issue.)
    Last edited by Gerorne; 01/27/2009 at 12:37 AM.

I keep a second charged battery at all times and I've rarely used it. However, when I'm airplanes, long car trips (others driving), and recently the inauguration, I used it constantly. I was able to read, listen to audio and not have to worry about using up my battery and being able to use the phone. It's what allows me to have a combined pda and phone on one device. My pda is my lifeline for taking notes at meetings, recording meetings, etc. If I had to concern myself with talk time on my phone, it would be a hindrance.

In addition, when I'm in a loud environment, such as trains, buses, malls, etc, I may not realize that I've received an SMS and that alerts are using up my battery. I've pulled my phone out of my bag to discover that my battery is low. Because of my back up battery, I don't have to find a spot to recharge my phone or tell people I missed calls because my battery was dead.
    My experiance of cell phone batteries is they start to wear out in a year to 18 months. I like to keep my phones at least two years and then retain them as backup devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    My experiance of cell phone batteries is they start to wear out in a year to 18 months. I like to keep my phones at least two years and then retain them as backup devices.
    Ditto. I don't see the Pre being as useful once I move beyond it. WiFi helps, at least.
    If the spare battery option works for you, that's great, and it certainly is an advantange over not being able to replace a battery, but I was just merely pointing out that if the main advantage of a replacement battery is actually replacing a worn out battery, a whole lot of people don't need that option because they would have upgraded their phone before that became an issue.
    I'm not so sure that keeping a secondary battery on hand is a niche demand. One of the Samsung Instinct's nicest features is that it ships with a replacement battery in the box. Simply having that battery available encourages using it for immediate swapping. Of course, people who don't have a secondary battery only think in terms of recharging and waiting.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Perhaps, I don't know the numbers, and is something I would definitely be interested in seeing. Although the point of that quote you quoted from me, wasn't really addressing that again, and was more talking about replacing a worn out battery that isn't performing well anymore, and not about needing more usage time in a day.

Perhaps, I don't know the numbers, and is something I would definitely be interested in seeing. Although the point of that quote you quoted from me, wasn't really addressing that again, and was more talking about replacing a worn out battery that isn't performing well anymore, and not about needing more usage time in a day.
    I've always needed a spare battery for my Treo's - for more usage time, as you put it. It'd be cool not to have to worry about that... or my battery wearing out so quickly.
  11. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I've always needed a spare battery for my Treo's - for more usage time, as you put it. It'd be cool not to have to worry about that... or my battery wearing out so quickly.
    I've needed one more than anything because my usage can vary so much from day to day... It's good to just swap out and charge the spare while still using the device, even away from the desk. Now all we need is a travel charger with the contacts to work with the Touchstone.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I chew through 1 1/2-2 battery charges a day on a normal basis, due to heavy data usage from email. On days I travel and do music and videos and other even heavier usage, I can go into a third battery. I carry three spares, allowing me an extra in case I forget to charge or can't charge or discover one of my batteries isn't charged... It's the primary reason that I have refused to buy an iPhone, and I'm not the only one I know who feels that way...
    Quote Originally Posted by meballard View Post
    I chew through 1 1/2-2 battery charges a day on a normal basis, due to heavy data usage from email. On days I travel and do music and videos and other even heavier usage, I can go into a third battery. I carry three spares, allowing me an extra in case I forget to charge or can't charge or discover one of my batteries isn't charged... It's the primary reason that I have refused to buy an iPhone, and I'm not the only one I know who feels that way...
    Indeed. I could deal with the iPod's not-easily-replaced battery because, when it dies, it's just music that I have to live without. With an iPhone, I wouldn't just lose access to my music. I'd lose access to my phone. That's a biggie.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    Disagree. Find him inforamtive. He has his biased - show me a write who doesn't? But his artciles are always timely and worth the time to read
    Walt is not informative... he writes from a mag that is informative... from a tech point he is less informative than the one mod that owns this site (or posts the article). I'd trust the mod on this site before walt... walt does write articles that lean this way and that way....

For the most part, walt is full of S.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Walt is not informative... he writes from a mag that is informative... from a tech point he is less informative than the one mod that owns this site (or posts the article). I'd trust the mod on this site before walt... walt does write articles that lean this way and that way....

Walt is not really on my list of people to trust (at least not in the sense that I value his advice). I trust Dieter because I 'know' him (and we share the relatively rare experience of having owned a Visor Edge ). However, he doesn't own the site. Smartphone Experts owns the site. Dieter's obviously an important part of that team, but if any one person owns the site, it's Marcus. FWIW.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post

He isn't very techy, but that's ok. Not eveyone is looking for a technical explination of their prodcuts. His yearly buyers guides for laptops and home PCs are very helpfull. his phone reviewes always include a good battery test. He covers topics which are helpfull for the everyday - online back up programs, web sites for financial managment, web sites that help send holiday cards

For those of you who might not regulary read Walt - Here is a link so you can form your own opinion:
    His Buyers Guides
    His Ethic's Statement
    Last edited by B-model; 01/29/2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added link
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Like any other reviews, you can't take it like its the bible. Its written by a person, and like every other reviewer and I'm not just talking about tech, I'm talking about EVERYTHING. movies, tv shows, food gadgets, music, its all subjective and personal opinion and preference. Sure there are certain things that are facts like the battery time, speed, specs... but many other things are just too subjective. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder..etc. You know how many times I've seen a movie that a critic trashed? What if I like spicy curry that a particular food critic find disgusting? Does that mean its bad? Doing reviews for anything unfortunately isn't like reporting the news. They have to put their own preference and spin into things and it muddies the facts from opinions.
    Mossberg is a real Apple fanboi, but he has quite a following, especially on Wall Street. And there are plenty of un-tech-savvy folks on Wall Street. To them, Walt is a guru.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12