Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Maybe this has been discussed, and if so I missed it and apologize... But I actually think the lack of backwards compatibility is a GOOD thing.

Windows is a great example.... when I think how bloated it's become and all the hardware and software configurations it has to support, I can't help but think that starting from scratch without having to worry about legacy apps is the only way to move forward with a radical design.

Granted many of us will have to live without our favorite apps for a while, but isn't it the nature of the beast to constantly upgrade software anyway? In this case, I think what makes it "painful" is that it's forced on us, the upgrade to a newer or even different application isn't by choice. But that's what being radical requires... accepting a whole new concept. Each new concept has to have it's first step and this is it.

So for the consumer, if this radical approach isn't for you then wait for Palms next WebOS product or get the Treo Pro with Win6, or do nothing, or get a different product, or... there's a lot of choices for us

Big risks have big rewards, little risks have little rewards.
    i agree.. those Med apps that ARE important to this platform are really database driven and search is nice and fast on them.. shouldn't be to difficult to rewrite. The databases are already there just need another simple interface on top of it.

Alot of these programs need to be re-written anyway.. gotta keep the programmers sharp
    I agree entirely myself.
    In principal I agree with everything you said. OS's should be rewritten every decade or so in order to make them the best. OSX was a great example of a company abandoning it legacy OS.

Here's the only problem with that. You can write the backwards support via emulator, rather than native support and you can write an entirely new OS while maintaining at least some backwards compatibility. Again, OSX is a good example. For the first version of OSX you could run a classic emulator that ran the classic apps, but in a sandboxed environment.

Honestly for me its not a big deal anyway, because I use WM anyway and the only app I would want backwards support for is the Slingplayer(which probably wouldn't emulate right anyway). Just wanted to point out that emulation is a middle ground.